ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visting spouse

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Joelm2400
Newly Registered

Visting spouse

Post by Joelm2400 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:54 am

Hello all,

First of all I want to apologize if this is in the wrong place, please move if needed.

After much time and effort my wife (a UK citizen) and myself (a US citizen) were just married last week. It was a wonderful honeymoon, if a bit short, but now the hard part begins. The US visa process. I had to put her on a plane back to England today, and I have to say it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do in my life. It looks like it will be 6 months until we are back together.

I actually have a few questions. First, I don't want to go 6 months without seeing my wonderful wife, is it possible to visit her while the US immigration is in process (she is not allowed in the country during this time period)? If so is there anything in particular I need to do?

Next, ideally we would like to live in the UK the problem is that she is currently living in Hull off of jobseekers, and has been unable to find work. She will be filing for bankruptcy soon, so as you can guess its been quite difficult. I on the other hand have a pretty decent job, with the ability to save a fair amount of money if need be. My question is two fold, am I mistaken in thinking that her being on benefits prevents me from getting a spouse visa? And secondly, is it possible for me to have an adequate enough savings to somehow make up for her lack of funds?

I appreciate you reading through this. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

One final note, though she is coming here, I know that many people have experienced similar sort of heartache, I feel for you all. I wish you the best of luck on being reunited with your family.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: Visting spouse

Post by ElenaW » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:44 am

You can visit her and she can visit you since you don't need to send original passports in the US visa process. You only need the originals on the day of the interview. You don't need to do anything but be honest when IOs ask you questions and make sure that both of you make it clear that you're doing everything the lawful way.

Her being on jobseekers and becoming bankrupt will make it really difficult for a spouse visa approval. Do you have a substantial amount of savings?
I tell it like it is.

Joelm2400
Newly Registered

Post by Joelm2400 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:36 pm

The concern is not so much about the passports, as much as will they let me across the border as her husband, or will they decide its too much of a risk that I might stay in the UK.

As for my savings, well its a bit wiped out now, but it is definitely possible for me to scrounge up 5,000 pounds in the next 6 months (possibly more)

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:42 pm

Joelm2400 wrote:The concern is not so much about the passports, as much as will they let me across the border as her husband, or will they decide its too much of a risk that I might stay in the UK.

Yes that's what I'm saying, you have to be very honest at the POE and show a lot of evidence of ties so that they're convinced that you'll go home.
As for my savings, well its a bit wiped out now, but it is definitely possible for me to scrounge up 5,000 pounds in the next 6 months (possibly more)

There is no exact number of £ you need to have but I feel like without either of you working £5,000 won't be significant enough. Unless one of you is very likely to find work very quickly.
I tell it like it is.