ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

problems with id

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

susiesue
Newly Registered

problems with id

Post by susiesue » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:42 am

Morning,,,,
Im English, married my Indian husband in 1989 and he was granted indefinate stay. His Indian passport ran out in 1990 and we didnt renew as we had no plans to travel, we are trying to get british citizenship now but am having so many problems with him having no photo id.
His passport is lost, cant find it anywhere and only have 1 home office letter saying he can sty here dated 1989 so ho photo of hubby on it.
To take the english test he has to have photo id, we have been to the dvla to get a provisional driving license and they said to come back with more id which we did.Now they have returned the forms saying the id is not enough and want things we dont have ( p60, retirement docs, benefit book, proof of national insurence number) I am disabled and my husband is my carrer, we sent in letters from carrers allownece, income support, wedding certificate and his home office letter. On the phone they said our documents were enough but they have returned them with the fee. We havent travelled, have no criminal record so I cant understand what they need as proof,,,,after so many years of marrage this seems a bit unfare

jimbo_uk

Post by jimbo_uk » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:48 pm

Is it possible for him to renew his Indian Passport prior to applying for UK citizenship? That would at least provide him with a form of photo ID.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:58 pm

To put it straight, your personal circumstances, no matter how strong they are, and the fact that your husband has no criminal record, has no bearing on the fact that he doesnt have any kind of photographic identity. He lost his passport years ago and never bothered to get a new one, is just total carelessness and there is no short cut to solve your problem. No kind of documents can ever be enough to replace the need of having a photo id. As far as law is concerned, a person who cant prove his id could be anyone. How does he prove that he is who he says he is. The only way round it, seems to be to make a "Subject Access Request" to UKBA. His file will have photocopy of his old Indian passport. With this he can apply for a new Indian passport. Be warned that in this situation, an Indian passport might take 6 months to come through.