ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Wife commited bigamy

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nimrod
Newly Registered

Wife commited bigamy

Post by nimrod » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi, first of all apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place, I'm new on here and would like some advice. Here goes, I am a British Citizen born and bred here, I used to work in Thailand where I met someone and lived with over there before returning to the U.K, we got married in 2005 and she has got indefinate leave to remain and a British Passport and Citizinship, just over 1 year ago we seperated and she moved to America leaving me with the mortgage and our son who is 3 years old. I have recently found out that within a few weeks of arriving in America she married an American Citizen who she met on the internet, we are not yet divorced so she has committed bigamy, I have applied to an American court for a copy of the wedding certificate as proof and shoud have this within the next dew weeks. Now as she has commited bigamy I am wondering whether she can have her British Citizenship revoked and her passport destroyed and also what would American immigration do if they were to find out. I know it's a bit of a strange request but does anyone have any advice for me please

UKBAbble

Post by UKBAbble » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:07 pm

IPS will not revoke her British citizenship lighltly, even if she were convicted of bigamy I doubt it would happen.

nimrod
Newly Registered

Post by nimrod » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:33 pm

UKBAbble wrote:IPS will not revoke her British citizenship lighltly, even if she were convicted of bigamy I doubt it would happen.
Hi thanks for replying, what do you think the American authorities view would be on this, as she's married an american she got a green card to stay there but as the marriage is invalid due to her still being legally married to me would she be deported or punished in some other way. I really want to s crew her over!

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:06 am

nimrod wrote:
UKBAbble wrote:IPS will not revoke her British citizenship lighltly, even if she were convicted of bigamy I doubt it would happen.
Hi thanks for replying, what do you think the American authorities view would be on this, as she's married an american she got a green card to stay there but as the marriage is invalid due to her still being legally married to me would she be deported or punished in some other way. I really want to s crew her over!
If they find out then they can revoke her green card but once she gets her passport there's really nothing that they'll do.
I tell it like it is.

ejw4h9

Post by ejw4h9 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:47 pm

As far as British citizenship, I'm clueless.

However, if she's married an American and has PR (green card) on that basis, she could face serious penalties. Technically, it's filing official paperwork under false pretenses. The minimum penalty would include her green card being revoked. Go to the Immigration and Customs Enforcement site from Homeland Security. There, you should find contact information for the local field office (the one in the closest major city). A report to them will usually be followed up on as they rely on the public to inform them.

Any other questions, let me know.

nimrod
Newly Registered

Post by nimrod » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:28 am

Hi, i've already contacted the US Dept Of Homeland Security and informed them of it but to follow up they needed her address, I managed to find an address online for the new hubby but I'm unsure of whether this is their current address. I have also contacted the local registry office and I am waiting on them to send me a copy of the wedding certificate. I intend to take this and my wedding certificate to the police, she is planning on returning here within the next few months for a divorce so hopefully the police will put out a warrant for her arrest and she'll be nicked as soon as she lands here. :D Once I have their wedding address with information on where it took place I will contact them also to let them know that they conducted an illegal wedding. I really hope to get her passport took off her though, that is my main aim as I don't want her to be able to return here.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:43 am

nimrod wrote:Hi, i've already contacted the US Dept Of Homeland Security and informed them of it but to follow up they needed her address, I managed to find an address online for the new hubby but I'm unsure of whether this is their current address. I have also contacted the local registry office and I am waiting on them to send me a copy of the wedding certificate. I intend to take this and my wedding certificate to the police, she is planning on returning here within the next few months for a divorce so hopefully the police will put out a warrant for her arrest and she'll be nicked as soon as she lands here. :D Once I have their wedding address with information on where it took place I will contact them also to let them know that they conducted an illegal wedding. I really hope to get her passport took off her though, that is my main aim as I don't want her to be able to return here.
Ok the thing is, after ILR is granted there's really not much they can do. They won't take her passport off her! So why don't you be a bigger person and just live your life?
I tell it like it is.

nimrod
Newly Registered

Post by nimrod » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:16 am

ElenaW wrote:
nimrod wrote:Hi, i've already contacted the US Dept Of Homeland Security and informed them of it but to follow up they needed her address, I managed to find an address online for the new hubby but I'm unsure of whether this is their current address. I have also contacted the local registry office and I am waiting on them to send me a copy of the wedding certificate. I intend to take this and my wedding certificate to the police, she is planning on returning here within the next few months for a divorce so hopefully the police will put out a warrant for her arrest and she'll be nicked as soon as she lands here. :D Once I have their wedding address with information on where it took place I will contact them also to let them know that they conducted an illegal wedding. I really hope to get her passport took off her though, that is my main aim as I don't want her to be able to return here.
Ok the thing is, after ILR is granted there's really not much they can do. They won't take her passport off her! So why don't you be a bigger person and just live your life?
Because she walked out on me and my son who was only 18 months old at the time, she lied to me and humiliated me. She has committed a crime and deserves to be punished for it. Put yourself in my shoes, I bet you wouldn't just let it lie.

ejw4h9

Post by ejw4h9 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Yes, I agree to an extent that moving on might be the healthiest thing to do. We also only know the OP's side of things. However, his soon to be ex-wife is abusing the immigration systems of at least two countries.

She could have finalized the divorce before she re-married, but she didn't. I know that in the US they are very clear in asking if you are currently married or in the case of divorce or death, that you can prove the dissolution of the previous marriage. In other countries, they ask you to produce a certificate from your home country stating that you're free to marry to prevent this type of situation.

Actions such as this are what makes the life of a legitimate marriage more difficult.

@nimrod: I don't have much to say about British law, but I'd assume it's difficult to revoke ILR or citizenship. If you stick with the Dept of Homeland Security, they'll surely follow up. You can also send them copies of your marriage certificate to aid in the process.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:04 pm

nimrod wrote:
Because she walked out on me and my son who was only 18 months old at the time, she lied to me and humiliated me. She has committed a crime and deserves to be punished for it. Put yourself in my shoes, I bet you wouldn't just let it lie.
Yes I completely understand that you're in an awful situation and you're in pain. I was just telling you the truth as far as UK immigration goes. Now on the US side of things, I agree with the poster above that they will take this seriously and revoke her green card (most likely) if you continue pursuing this.
I tell it like it is.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:53 pm

nimrod wrote:
It is understandable that you feel badly let down, and the circumstance of the breakdown of your marriage seems quite disheartening.

Revenging by reporting her to the authority will give you no comfort whatsoever. Can you bring yourself to telling your child that your report to the police resulted in his mother to be sent to jail. Whatever the circumstance, you child will not feel happy.

You have done an heroic thing, bringing this child up on your own, when she left so abruptly, don't allow your hurt and betrayal, to overshadow this great act.

Allow her to fall by her own weight. The authority will catch up with her at some point in time, surely. Just keep out of it, and maintain this non-blemish record that you have.

Time is a healer, the pain will subsides, of that i am very sure.

Getting ILR revoked is not an option, as your wife or estranged wife obtained it through the right channel, it is her subsequent actions that seems illegal.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:35 pm

If you are really thinking that her British Passport would be revoked because she did bigamy, then I would say you are living in a cuckooland. Stop day dreaming mate. Her passport just cannot be revoked, simple. (Unless she is involved in terrorism :? )