ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation - Documents Query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nosscire81
Newly Registered

Naturalisation - Documents Query

Post by nosscire81 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi All,

I'm about to submit my application for naturalisation as the spouse of a British National. I have had 2 years on my spouse visa and 1 year ILR. I am a bit worried (maybe unnecessarily about the application as you might imagine) as a few things are a bit unclear to me:

Do I need to send any documents like letters from government agencies/ employers to show that I have been living in the country for the past 3 years (which I have been) or will my passport suffice?

I have recently (in march) left my job after almost 2.5 years of employment to start my own business which launches in July/ August. I haven't been paying my self a wage for the past 2 months and have been relying on my savings (which have since dwindled) , but I do have my previous employments P60 and P45. Do I need to send these and my bank statements as well?

Curently, my document checklist looks like this:
1. My passport
2. My driver's licence (as I used it for the life test)
3. Life test certificate
4. Marriage certificate
5. Wife's passport (as she is British)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:46 pm

nosscire81, you are not the first person to query this sort of thing, in effect querying just how little supporting documentation is required. And no doubt you will not be the last.

A few comments. Firstly you mention having ILR for one year. As you are married to a British Citizen that is not a requirement. But what is a requirement is that you were physically in the UK exactly 3 years before UKBA receive the Naturalisation application. UKBA have no discretion about this particular rule, so if you apply at the wrong time the application will be bound to fail.

Secondly you say, with my emphasis, "Do I need to send these and my bank statements as well?", which suggests to me that you are thinking of posting the application. Instead of posting it, why not use an NCS office to submit the application? That is recommended, because they check the application before agreeing to forward it to UKBA in Liverpool, but also as regards the passports, those will be photocopied and handed straight back to you.

Thirdly, as regards supporting evidence, very little! Indeed the passports ... yours and your British spouse's .... and I think the marriage certificate. Am I right in thinking that you supplied your Life in the UK Citizenship test pass certificate when you applied for your ILR? If so you will see on the form AN that there is a box to tick to indicate that. And of course UKBA do have the ability to check any such tick.

NCS? For more detail click here.
John

nosscire81
Newly Registered

Post by nosscire81 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi John,
Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I should have been more clearer in my question: I have been a lawful resident for just over three years (I entered the UK on the 22nd of May, 2007) and yes, I am using the NCS.

I am a little surprised that the supporting documents required are very few compared to when I had applied for IRL. As long as that is what is required!

Thanks again!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:17 pm

I have been a lawful resident for just over three years (I entered the UK on the 22nd of May, 2007)
Yes but that is not the test. The test is that you were physically in the UK exactly 3 years before UKBA receive the Naturalisation application. So you must take into account the exact dates when you were outside the UK, and apply on a date that you qualify.

As regards the evidence, UKBA can and do check based upon the information on the form AN. For example if you read the declaration on the form that you need to sign, you will see that you are authorising UKBA to contact HMRC. For example your NI number will enable them to do so.
John