ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should I write to them before they contact me?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Lilly

Should I write to them before they contact me?

Post by Lilly » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:17 pm

Hiya!

I am now in the process to apply for my citizeship but there are 2 things nagging me, I thought the board could help?

1) I got my Permanent Residence Card, as a family-member of a EU citizen, by marriage. We are now separated, and he as moved abroad. We are not divorced as yet, and as I understand, we are still married under the UKBA rules. He is still registered at our home address, and will remain so until the place is sold. I will put his details in, and say I am married, but which address should I fill out on his address section?

1a) Once the place is sold (probably when the process will be ongoing) I will be moving in with someone else, do I have to disclosure that to the home office?

2) Do dates in-out UK have to be exact? Some countries (including my own) do not stamp passport everytime you go in or out, so it may be tricky remembering my departure dates from 3 years ago...

Thanking you for your help!
Last edited by Lilly on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:40 pm

1) I got my Permanent Residence Card, as a family-member of a EU citizen, by marriage. We are now separated, and he as moved abroad. We are not divorced as yet, and as I understand, we are still married under the UKBA rules. He is still registered at our home address, and will remain so until the place is sold. I will put his details in, and say I am married, but which address should I fill out on his address section?
You will be applying for naturalisation on your own right. Just put the address where he actually lives.

1a) Once the place is sold (probably when the process will be ongoing) I will be moving in with someone else, do I have to disclosure that to the home office?
You dont have to tell UKBA when you move address if you dont have any applications pending with UKBA. If you apply for naturalsation at your current address and then move out before your application is decided, then you should inform UKBA.

2) Do dates in-out UK have to be exact? Some countries (including my own) do not stamp passport everytime you go in or out, so it may be tricky remembering my departure dates from 3 years ago...
You can put what you remember best by a good guess. Do mention that the date is approximate.

Lilly

Should I write a letter to them explaining?

Post by Lilly » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:33 am

Hi, Thanks for your reply. The application has now been submitted with his Uk Address and approx travel dates.

A question I have now is about the residence permit stamp on my passport. It was given to me only after 19 (NINETEEN!!!) months after I've applied for it.

The stamp was issued on my passport in Decemeber 2009 despite the fact I've acquired residence status in July 2008. So as far as I understand, I could've applied for citizenship without a residence stamp in July 2009 - after the 12 months after automatic residence was acquired.

But this is something that is nagging me, and I wonder if the UKBA could refuse my application based on the fact my residence card was issued only 6 months ago by their own delays?

Should I write to them now to explain before they consider the application or should I wait for them to contact me first?

Thanking you!

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:10 pm

You should have put this down in a covering letter. I think they should be able to work this out themselves though. If you send a letter now, it wont harm you either.

jimbo_uk

Re: Should I write a letter to them explaining?

Post by jimbo_uk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:55 am

Lilly wrote:The stamp was issued on my passport in Decemeber 2009 despite the fact I've acquired residence status in July 2008. So as far as I understand, I could've applied for citizenship without a residence stamp in July 2009 - after the 12 months after automatic residence was acquired.
I am confused about your dates, I could be wrong, but I thought the qualifying residential period was much longer (5 years in most cases) unless your partner was British? What nationality is your partner and when did you come to the UK?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:25 am

jimbo_uk wrote:
Lilly wrote:The stamp was issued on my passport in Decemeber 2009 despite the fact I've acquired residence status in July 2008. So as far as I understand, I could've applied for citizenship without a residence stamp in July 2009 - after the 12 months after automatic residence was acquired.
I am confused about your dates, I could be wrong, but I thought the qualifying residential period was much longer (5 years in most cases) unless your partner was British? What nationality is your partner and when did you come to the UK?
may I say with respect, dont confuse members just by writing random thoughts, which happen to be inaccurate.

Lilly

Post by Lilly » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:01 pm

mrlookforward wrote:You should have put this down in a covering letter. I think they should be able to work this out themselves though. If you send a letter now, it wont harm you either.

Yeah I know, but the NCS didn't say anything at the time, is just something that started nagging me once they told me usually they check the stamp to know how long I had the residence for :? I have contacted them and they told me to calm down :lol: Wait the acknowledge from UKBA then if still nags me, I can send the letter, but like you said, they should work it out for themselves and ask for info on the residence permit delay if they think is pertinent to the case.

I will sleep over it and see what I do. Like you said, sending the letter wouldn't cause any harm.

Thanks for your help!
jimbo_uk wrote:I am confused about your dates, I could be wrong, but I thought the qualifying residential period was much longer (5 years in most cases) unless your partner was British? What nationality is your partner and when did you come to the UK?
The qualifying time was 5 years on non-EU relative of a Eu-National, that finished in 2008 when I acquired resident status automatically. Plus, I would need to wait 1 year after that to apply to citizenship, that makes July 2009. But the stamp on my passport was only issued in December 2009, what could be confusing to UKBA to understand.

jimbo_uk

Post by jimbo_uk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:57 pm

That makes sense now..somehow I read your first post as saying you started living in the uk in 2008.

It sounds like you used ncs too. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

jimbo_uk

Post by jimbo_uk » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Edit - removed post

joelondon
Member of Standing

Re: Should I write to them before they contact me?

Post by joelondon » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:32 pm

Lilly wrote:Hiya!

I am now in the process to apply for my citizeship but there are 2 things nagging me, I thought the board could help?

Thanking you for your help!
did send your husband 6 years P60 and id ???

AS yu are applying before date ...then i believe you should send those document to support ur application ...!!! keep us updated ...and by the way ...whats is your timeline for you BC application ???

thanks and good luck

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:09 am

She already provided those when she applied for PR, so she doesnt need to send them again. There are no complications in her case. She just asked a simple question and I think forum members are just turning this into a unnecessary debate and making irrelevant comments.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:23 pm

'Mrlookforward', others members have the right to query points and comment....considering you may not always be correct in the advice given. Better to always err on the safe side.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:07 pm

I apologise to jimbo. The tone of my post was not right.

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:35 pm

mrlookforward wrote:I apologise to jimbo. The tone of my post was not right.

I must say the tone of your posts are seldom right. Usually very condescending towards others. You are helpful, for which I am sure most people are grateful. Would be nice to help with a smile.

Ray