ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mhunjn

Re: It's very bad

Post by mhunjn » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:12 pm

You should be ok... however, give them a ring and confirm.
They should be able to use their discretion in this case... Book an appt for the 31st March!
Kavik wrote:Hi,

I'm finishing my 3 years 11 months by 29th March.
Could I apply for ILR on 30th or 31st March? Will they say that I've to apply 28days before 4 years if that is the case then very very unfortunately I'll qualify on 3rd April. What a sad situation for me. Could any experienced people tell me can if I can go for ILR on 30th or 31st March?? Any help is appriciated.

Thanks
Kavitha

Kavik

Thanks!

Post by Kavik » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:21 pm

Thanks for a +ve reply. Oh god today morning only I came to know about this rule. I'm going to call them tomorrow to fix appoinment for 31st March. When I called them 2 weeks before they told me that I can apply on 30th/31st. But still fear inside. :? This is really unfair.

Thanks

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:23 pm

If they told you that you can apply by the 31st, then do that asap... because of the law change, they might not have any appt left for then by tomorrow!...

andhraguy

Post by andhraguy » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:38 pm

I thought moderators/senior members are the best people to represent the group as rest of us are new to the group.

I have dropped an email to IND & Local MP. Still awaiting clarification.

I am quite happy to contribute in terms of time and money.

Your views are highly appreciated.

maxima

Post by maxima » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:48 pm

bbdivo wrote: Oh I don't know about that I have been here almost 5yrs now, and I havent seen this hate you talk about. Your MP is a better bet I reckon, at least he can raise a question to Charles Clarke in the House of Commons, don't forget a lot of people who are affected are more than likely voters too.
I am talking about hate not hatred. I cannot blame them as I dont like immigrants in my country as well. It is a human nature.

None who has affected is voter. MP reflects voters needs only. If you dont have british passport you are not voter. You must know basics before argue.

It is quite naive to go to someone who thinks (I'd better see all of you going to a big ship ans sail away) and tell him - please do something to help us increase in number.. How old r u dude?
Last edited by maxima on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxima

Re: Thanks!

Post by maxima » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:52 pm

Kavik wrote:When I called them 2 weeks before they told me that I can apply on 30th/31st. But still fear inside. :? This is really unfair.

Thanks
life is unfair. But you have all the chances to get through. Just try to make your application backed up with everything and dont let them reject it for any reason. And BOOK AN APPOINTMENT NOW! Try all PEOs. Even Scotland is be ok.

Also I read of some kind of transition period for those who is due to apply... So dont worry but dont sleep. Run!
Last edited by maxima on Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:55 pm

None who has affected is voter. MP reflects voters needs only. If you dont have british passport you are not voter. You must know basics before argue.
Actually you wrong. All citizens of commonwealth countries are allowed to vote in British elections. It is you who needs to check his facts!
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:02 pm

Dawie wrote:
Actually you wrong. All citizens of commonwealth countries are allowed to vote in British elections. It is you who needs to check his facts!
Thats correct. I am a commonwealth citizen and I voted in the general elections the last time and dont hold a british passport. Also helps your credit rating to register on the electoral rolls.
Last edited by MWazir on Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

basis

Post by basis » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:04 pm

maxima wrote: None who has affected is voter. MP reflects voters needs only. If you dont have british passport you are not voter. You must know basics before argue.

It is quite naive to go to someone who thinks (I'd better see all of you going to a big ship ans sail away) and tell him - please do something to help us increase in number.. How old r u dude?
Not entirely true. Commonwealth citizens and I think EU citizens resident in the UK can vote in UK elections. And in fact it is mandatory that they register themselves as voters.....

Kavik

Post by Kavik » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:04 pm

I've just called Croyden office he told me that I can't apply untill 1st April(saturday). He just told me I have to call on 30th to fix appointment itseems.
I will call all other PEOs tomorrow. Today no luck for me.
Thanks alot!

maxima wrote:
Kavik wrote:When I called them 2 weeks before they told me that I can apply on 30th/31st. But still fear inside. :? This is really unfair.

Thanks
life is unfair. But you have all the chances to get through. Just try to make your application backed up with everything and dont let them reject it for any reason. And BOOK AN APPOINTMENT NOW! Try all PEOs. Even Scotland is be ok.

Also I read of some kind of transition period for those who is due to apply... So dont worry but dont sleep. Run!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:06 pm

Not entirely true. Commonwealth citizens and I think EU citizens resident in the UK can vote in UK elections. And in fact it is mandatory that they register themselves as voters.....
Together Indian, South African, Australian and New Zealand citizens in the UK make up a VERY large group of voters, and I suspect most them will have been affected by these new regulations.
I am talking about hate not hatred. I cannot blame them as I dont like immigrants in my country as well. It is a human nature.
Maxima, if that's truly how you feel about immigrants then you should stop being one yourself and go back to where you came from. I cannot understand how immigrants can themselves be so intolerant of immigration.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:13 pm

Try the Birmingham one as well... Good Luck!...
Kavik wrote:I've just called Croyden office he told me that I can't apply untill 1st April(saturday). He just told me I have to call on 30th to fix appointment itseems.
I will call all other PEOs tomorrow. Today no luck for me.
Thanks alot!

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:16 pm

???...Should be the other way round!...
maxima wrote: None who has affected is voter. MP reflects voters needs only. If you dont have british passport you are not voter. You must know basics before argue.

abcd1

Post by abcd1 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:20 pm

All commonwelth citizens can vote. I am an Indian and I do get invitation for vote. So far, I didn't vote, but this time sure I will...

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:08 pm

maxima wrote:
bbdivo wrote: Oh I don't know about that I have been here almost 5yrs now, and I havent seen this hate you talk about. Your MP is a better bet I reckon, at least he can raise a question to Charles Clarke in the House of Commons, don't forget a lot of people who are affected are more than likely voters too.

Don't thing I need to respond to the voting part, enough people have responded to point out that you are wrong.

How old am I? Not sure what thats got to do with the original topic being discussed here!

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Re: ILR for tier 1 after just 2 years?

Post by bbdivo » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:11 pm

NationOne wrote:
Smit wrote:the Govt is proposing to give ILR to tier 1 applicants after only 2 years
Is that really true? Where is it mentioned that the government is proposing such a move? Would be a really wonderful thing for HSMP holders.
They are only still considering it, it is stated in the command paper that was released last week, it would only come into effect when the new act comes into play some time next year.

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:20 pm

Have a look how many of us will be affected. The following are from the

Applications for Work Permits (2005) 10A POINTS-BASED SYSTEM:
MAKING MIGRATION WORK FOR BRITAIN
PARTIAL REGULATORY IMPACT ASSESSMENT
7 MARCH 2006

PURPOSE AND INTENDED EFFECT OF MEASURE/POLICY
INDUSTRY BREAKDOWN
Applications
(2005) %
Total 157,951 100
Health & Medical 47,353 30.0
Computer Services 23,303 14.8
Hospitality & Catering 18,329 11.6
Admin, Bus. and Management 17,323 11.0
Education & Cultural Activities 11,623 7.4
Financial Services 9,135 5.8
Entertainment & Leisure 5,768 3.7
Manufacturing 4,973 3.1
Construction and Land Services 3,470 2.2
Retail & Related 3,091 2.0

Totally together we have 157,951 100 people in this country and it is only in 2005. Please note that the whole NHS has just over Million employees in the whole country. Only for 2005, there are about 5% of the total employees who are under WP!!! Most of this 5% are working in the front line. If only 1% say no to this country, the whole service will die. The whole NHS is still suffering from lack of clinical professionals even under current immigration law. Also have a look of teaching, Computer services etc… if we get united, I believe we have hope to win. We just need to make as many WP or HSMP holders know about the situation as possible. We- Chinese are not alone in this battle, but we have do something.. media – very important, web, internet, radio, MP, personal network… all of them and we need organize and JUST DO IT!

Here is another citation:

In terms of numbers the largest single categories at present are:
Table 1: Migrants by Category 2004
Category Number given leave to enter the UK
Students 294,000
Work Permits 82,600
Source: Control of Immigration Statistics, 2004 (National Statistics)

We should get students as well !!

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:28 pm

We really have to do something. As suggested by above,

we should at least try:

1, use law-- find the best lawyer in this area in the UK if possible. We could all contribute to fees. I would not think it will be unaffordable, if we all pay, let's say, 1-5 pounds? How many members do we have here?

2, Write a letter and sign by as many people as possible and put it on different newspapers.

3, get together and go to home office or Parliament to protest. In this way, we will attract further interesting from the general public. At least, we may have chance to argue it in the media.

4, find all other ethnic groups who are affected by the changes. Canadian, South African, Indian, Africa, New Zealander, Chinese etc... We should all get together.

5, Use MP, HO email etc. as much as possible.

It is not the time to differentiate HSMP or WP, we have to get together. They would not change for only one. If change, we should ask for change of the effective date. It should only apply to those apply WP OR HSMP after certain day.

Please contribute your thought and let’s do it!! It’s not the time to predict if we will win or lose, at least, we have tried..

What do you think?

Ideal
Newly Registered

Post by Ideal » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:36 pm

I'm amazed to read all the comments by various learned members of this forum. We are here to integrate in this society as well as to contribute to the economy of this country. I think whatever the government is doing is for the betterment of its people as well as its society. So please be positive and it doesn't matter whether we have to wait for an extra year. So we must respect the rulings and immigration rules no matter whatever they are. I hope you'll all understand.
Many thanks for reading.
Ideal

chikoo77
Newly Registered

Post by chikoo77 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:37 pm

well said tutu1005, i am ready to contribute in whatever way i can and i am sure others who are affected would agree as well. I think the moderators can lead us in this regards.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:48 pm

I'm amazed to read all the comments by various learned members of this forum. We are here to integrate in this society as well as to contribute to the economy of this country. I think whatever the government is doing is for the betterment of its people as well as its society. So please be positive and it doesn't matter whether we have to wait for an extra year. So we must respect the rulings and immigration rules no matter whatever they are. I hope you'll all understand.
Many thanks for reading.
Ideal
Yes, well if Gandhi took this approach with the British where would India be today. I'm sorry but I don't accept that immigrants to this country should quietly shut up and be grateful for being here. It's a 2-way street. As far as I'm concerned the UK needs us just as much as we need it.

While personally I am grateful for the opportunity to live and work here, I will NOT be quiet when I feel my rights and those of my fellow immigrants are being trampled upon. We are not some subservient underclass of people. We are all intelligent educated people with a voice and if we disagree with the UK government we have every right to voice our disagreement. I don't like this "guest" mentality. We are not guests here, we are tenants and we ALL pay our rent.

Eugene_UK

Post by Eugene_UK » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:55 pm

We should ask JCWI to act on our behalf and take this case to the court against HO. I did not find anything on their web-site yet condemning new changes. I think this is clear breach of British law and we should not tolerate it. What if they decide tomorrow to change from 5 to 15 years?!

http://www.jcwi.org.uk/index.html

Smit
Member of Standing

Post by Smit » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:59 pm

Whilst support for challenging this ridiculous retrospective rules drums up, I wish to thank dabar for bringing the news to our attention. As far as I know, this site was the first to break the news (other than the amazing IND website).

K2004

Post by K2004 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:19 pm

3 years ago , when I tried to apply for an ILR based on 2 years TWES and 2 years WP, my application was turned down, and i was asked to apply after 2 years, at the time I was so angry and upset, especially after reading in this website that some people with my situation were accepted.

it has been almost more than 3 years now, i became British, but i still cant forget it, i still feel that i had to wait 2 years unfairly, my advise guys that if you can do something about it, then do, because you will never know, may be a new citizenship test and requirments will be introuduced and the applkcation price is going to be more expensive, so you will miss out just because you missed out on ILR.

So IDEAL , i do beleive its unfair for them, thats may change their whole life situations, ie (Mortgage, lost job opportunities, travel, vote, getting married and bringing your wife to UK as a British,requiring VISA to visit other countries, long queues, more monies etc....)

this law should apply only for people who entered UK after April...FULL STOP..when everyone signed the WP application form ,it was clear that you will be able to become resident after 4 years....

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:26 pm

Ideal wrote:I'm amazed to read all the comments by various learned members of this forum. We are here to integrate in this society as well as to contribute to the economy of this country. I think whatever the government is doing is for the betterment of its people as well as its society. So please be positive and it doesn't matter whether we have to wait for an extra year. So we must respect the rulings and immigration rules no matter whatever they are. I hope you'll all understand.
Many thanks for reading.
Ideal
I accept what you are saying to a certain extent but not when the new laws are applied retrospectively and effect legal and skilled immigrants in this country. Remember it was this same government that made an attempt to attract people through the highly skilled migrant programme. What attarcted a large number of people was the ability to come to this country and settle down in 4 years time. Now after having attracted thousands of people on this basis, they are turning around and effectively saying sorry mate, I would rather have you wait another year. The change in law should apply to people who want to make a decision to come and settle in this country so that they are aware from the start what they are getting into, not to those people who are already here. I agree with Dawie in that we should not be apolegetic and greateful. We give back as much to this society as we take from it. The policies should make it harder for illegal immigrants and not the skilled force that form the backbone of this economy.