ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Really confused about the age points

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

goodssb

Really confused about the age points

Post by goodssb » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:57 am

I came to the UK under HSMP visa and will extend my visa next month. I am over 32, but less than 33. I thought I could only earn 5 points for my age because I was awarded 5 points at the initial application two years ago.

However, I consulted several solicitors, they all said I could get 10 points, even I emphasized I was switching from HSMP to Tier 1 General.

On UKBA website, it states 32 or 33 years: 5 points for applications to switch into Tier 1 (General) from HSMP.

However, when I tried to use the points calculator and entered the date of my initial application, which is Aug 2008, I was asked whether I am in the UK under HSMP. I selected yes. Then it told me: You must enter a first successful application date of 29/02/2008 if you are seeking to extend your stay having been granted leave under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme.

If I select no and enter 32 years old, I am awarded 10 points for the age.

Could anyone help to clarify my situation? I am really confused.

Many thanks

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Re: Really confused about the age points

Post by aruni4470 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:04 pm

goodssb wrote:I came to the UK under HSMP visa and will extend my visa next month. I am over 32, but less than 33. I thought I could only earn 5 points for my age because I was awarded 5 points at the initial application two years ago.

However, I consulted several solicitors, they all said I could get 10 points, even I emphasized I was switching from HSMP to Tier 1 General.

On UKBA website, it states 32 or 33 years: 5 points for applications to switch into Tier 1 (General) from HSMP.

However, when I tried to use the points calculator and entered the date of my initial application, which is Aug 2008, I was asked whether I am in the UK under HSMP. I selected yes. Then it told me: You must enter a first successful application date of 29/02/2008 if you are seeking to extend your stay having been granted leave under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme.

Many thanks
The several solicitors you consulted are wrong. You will get 5 points if you are in the band 32-33 when switching from HSMP.

"Age bandings will be one year lower for those switching from the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (Over 34; 32 to 33; 30 to 31; 29 or under) due to the shorter initial period of leave that was granted to applicants in this category."

This is mentioned in the SOP of the changes to tier 1 rules on 6th April 2010. Look at note no.2 at the top of page 5.

goodssb

Re: Really confused about the age points

Post by goodssb » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:29 pm

aruni4470 wrote:
goodssb wrote:I came to the UK under HSMP visa and will extend my visa next month. I am over 32, but less than 33. I thought I could only earn 5 points for my age because I was awarded 5 points at the initial application two years ago.

Many thanks
The several solicitors you consulted are wrong. You will get 5 points if you are in the band 32-33 when switching from HSMP.

"Age bandings will be one year lower for those switching from the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (Over 34; 32 to 33; 30 to 31; 29 or under) due to the shorter initial period of leave that was granted to applicants in this category."

This is mentioned in the SOP of the changes to tier 1 rules on 6th April 2010. Look at note no.2 at the top of page 5.
thanks for the reply. that's what I thought. but i couldn't get get confirmation from points-based calculator. I've written to UKBA and see what they say.