ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

whether to resign or go on leave?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gupta_ust

whether to resign or go on leave?

Post by gupta_ust » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:01 pm

I am on Tier2 ICT visa for next 12-18 months which may get extended(never be sure about IT projects) :?
My wife wants to join me on Dependent visa. She is a BE (IT) and currently working as a Lecuterer in one of the renowned engineering colleges in India. My questions:
1) What job prospects she has in London? She is a graduate.
2) Is it advisable for her to get unpaid leave from the college and come to London without an experience certificate?
3) OR Is it better than (2) option to resign and get her papers? Also note that I have a 2.5 yrs old kid which may not allow her to pick a regular job(not sure if we can manage via playschool)?

[/b]

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:39 pm

Dear Gupta,

I suggest you go thru recently posted threads that will throw a light on the situation currently in the UK so you can then make a decision. Now specific to you case
1. If you have a 2.5 yr old child then yes, your wife cannot work full time and must work her schedule around the child. That being said, playschools are really expensive and in the end many people decide its best for mom to stay at home and be with the child than work all day, pay the play school and only save a few 100 pounds
2. Teaching in the UK and the required qualification is something you can hunt for online, thats your best resource for correct info. I hope you know that there is no direct corelation of Engineering colleges in India to UK - in the same lines, I doubt she can come here and get a job without the necessary UK qualifications.
3. She may be able to teach in School but again not sure and the payscale will not be great. Back to point 1 then - it will be best for her to be with the child than work all day and end up paying it all to the playschool

Since you are on Tier 2, there is no guarantee of how long you will be here so there is no point uprooting likfe back home. If you do miss them, the best thing to do would be for them to come here on a holiday and go back. In today's UK job market scenario and huge expenses, there is minimal chance of success especially for what you have in mind.
Alternately, if you research and find out if your wife can teach in School/college, she can come here and try things out. But do you seriously want her to leave her job, get your child here only to be in playschool all day and in the end probably save a few £100s??? Remember your living cost will automatically go up so in effect, you wife leaves her job back home and you spend more on living here thus making you actually lose out more. I do know how it must be to miss the family but as your post inclines towards chance of saving some money with them coming over, I am letting you know that all said and done, you guys will end up spending more and your wife losing a good jobs back home

All the best
KP

gupta_ust

Post by gupta_ust » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi KP,

Thanks for an excellent reply.
I do understand what you pointed out and will defenetily keep these things in mind. I believe there is no point in saving money if you are compramising with your personal feelings and relationships. However, she is also very much willing to join me here as this is the first time for both of us out of India :lol:
Having read your reply, it makes me feel that she should only come on a holiday to London but she is more interested to work in London for new exposure and to live with me.
I am totally confused!!!!! :roll:

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Fine then, just let them come over not expecting anything to happen here - that's the best way forward for you. The worst case scenario is only you will be working and best case the both of you. In the end, whatever the case, yuo guys will enjoy your time in the UK :-)