ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization and referees

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AlexCh

Naturalization and referees

Post by AlexCh » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:32 pm

As I understand the referee for my naturalization application must be a British citizen, who has known me at least for 3 years. What I do not understand is if it matters how long the referee himself has been a British citizen – can I get a reference from somebody who became a citizen just 10 months ago?

And another question – can I get a reference from my colleague? I think I cannot but just checking

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:42 pm

I think .... yes and yes! If the person is British now and has known you for at least three years ... and meet the other conditions ... at least 25 etc .... yes it OK for them to sign for you.
John

AlexCh

Post by AlexCh » Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:49 pm

John wrote:I think .... yes and yes! If the person is British now and has known you for at least three years ... and meet the other conditions ... at least 25 etc .... yes it OK for them to sign for you.
I also thought that the first answer would be YES, but wanted to double check it.

Regarding the second question - I have a feeling that I read somewhere, that because the reference confirms your good character, it should be taken from somebody who is more like your friend, not from your colleague. Problem is that being a workaholic, :wink: most people I know - are my colleagues.

i_worker
Newly Registered

Post by i_worker » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:30 pm

I seem to have the same problem as you, AlexCh.
I spend more time at work than anywhere else, hence most people who know me are my colleagues.
I know that you will apply for the citizenship soon.
Could you let me know how it went with referees?

Good luck!

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:50 pm

There is nothing wrong in using a colleague. As long as they are a british citizen, have known you for 3 years or more and are willing to sign the undertaking on the form that you are of good character and they support your application for citizenship.

After all they have to give their passport and contact details on the form. Anyone who is willing to give this undertaking and sign a form confirming this is an accetable referee.

AlexCh

Post by AlexCh » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:22 pm

i_worker wrote:Could you let me know how it went with referees?
Good luck!
I will definitely let know on this forum about the results and referees I used for my application - one of the most frustrating things of web discussions is that people only come here to tell about their problems and they almost never come back to tell how they solved the problem or which one of many ideas they have found here was really useful.

My immediate problem right now is the “Life in the UK” exam booking – it seems all places around my house or place of work are booked for at least 4-5 weeks.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:38 pm

My immediate problem right now is the “Life in the UK” exam booking – it seems all places around my house or place of work are booked for at least 4-5 weeks.
Probably of no help to you personally but do note that it is not necessary to leave the Test until when the application is going in. It is possible to study for and take the Test months or even years before the Naturalisation application is due to be submitted.

So folks, no need to wait until the last moment. Get the Test out of the way!

AlexCh, your disclosed location is London. Big place! Maybe travel a bit further? Slightly out of London, maybe? A Test Centre maybe 10 miles further out of London might have spaces readily available? Take a half-day holiday to get the test done?
John

AlexCh

Post by AlexCh » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:44 pm

John wrote: AlexCh, your disclosed location is London. Big place! Maybe travel a bit further? Slightly out of London, maybe? A Test Centre maybe 10 miles further out of London might have spaces readily available? Take a half-day holiday to get the test done?
This is exactly what I am going to look at tomorrow :)

Any good test centre between London and Reading? Slough, Maidenhead or Reading?

Fibunnaci
Newly Registered

Post by Fibunnaci » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:41 am

AlexCh wrote:
i_worker wrote:Could you let me know how it went with referees?
Good luck!

Hi,

Try learn direct in Elephant and castle(Sunshine Academy), they seem to accomodate people within two weeks from my expreience.They do the test Every Friday, 50 people at a time or so...

But I must warn you they have a crap customer service.

Good Luck.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:02 am

Does anyone know what to do if you don't actually have any referees who are British citizens AND who you've known for 3 years?

I'm sure there are lots of people out there who have this problem, I certainly do! I know lots of people and have lots of friends who are EITHER british citizens OR that I have known longer than 3 years, however only 1 of them falls into both categories.....

What do I do when I want to naturalise???
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

basis

Post by basis » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:11 am

Make friends.....I am sure there would be people whom you met when you first landed in the UK, worked with them. OK you may have moved on to different jobs in past 5 years but you must still have contact details of those people. If not you can somehow find them.

Considering the huge number of Indian Origins who are BCs in the UK you should not find a problem.

And again stretch your thoughts - think of the doctors, teachers, other professionals who might have known you for that period. think of the first employer /employers, managers there. Knowing you for more than three years does not mean that they are very close friend of yours.

And I think after staying in the country for these many years if you dont know two such people who will sign your application as referee then why continue here ? Dont mean to offend you but think about it !!!!

But I am sure when you apply yourself you can 'see' a lot many people who can oblidge happily....Good luck !!!

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:49 am

Think outside the box too, I sure I read somewhere (on here) that someont got their local pastor to sign for them as they had been going that church since they arrived in the country, how about people who you have worked with but still keep in touch with?

When I was thinking about who to put down as referees I was a bit stuck too, but a friend of mine recently got naturalised, so he's no 1 on the list!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:06 pm

Indeed, that was my wife! Her referees were the Pastor of our Church here in Birmingham, known 3 years at the time of signing, and also the Christian Missionary who converted her to Christianity in Thailand many years earlier ... British ... now returned to live in the UK co-incidentally only about 20 miles away from here --- known 22 years!

That is, whilst my wife had only been in the UK for three years when she applied for naturalisation, one of her referees signed to say that he had known her for 22 years! We thought that would look good on the application form!

Dawie .... as already said ... work colleagues .... past and present .... any religious connection? Local shopkeepers? People who are British you know from years ago who are now back in the UK? etc etc etc
John

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:11 pm

And remember an Irish citizen can also act as a referee on a passport application though not on the naturalisation form.

jbb

Referee for naturalisation

Post by jbb » Tue May 23, 2006 4:51 pm

Hi Alexch,

did you have any problems with providing a reference in naturalisation application?

Regards,
Last edited by jbb on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Tue May 23, 2006 9:04 pm

If there were any issues regarding the length of time the referees have held British citizenship, the guidance notes would mention it.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

balaplus
Newly Registered

Post by balaplus » Wed May 24, 2006 3:05 pm

One of my friends did have a referee who was naturalized just 3 months before his application...And apparently, his application was approved in 5 weeks.