ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:47 am

It mentions that you can apply... not that you will get...

There is a big difference...
abcd1 wrote:On my backpage of work permit, it is clearly written that one can apply for settlement after 48 months. Now they denounce that. Goverment still don't become corrupt!

basis

Post by basis » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:02 am

AC77 wrote:I am now really questioning my decision to come to this country. I think this rule is really going to back fire on them in terms of attracting highly skilled migrants when many other countries (US, canada, australia) are vying for them.
While I totally symphathize with you and everyone affected...lets not take the discussion to an end where we start saying suddenly that UK is worse than other countries. Believe me if you want to be settled any here in the UK - one more year does for ILR does not make difference. I personally did not feel better, secured or anything by getting ILR / Naturalisation. What matters in this global village today is your skills and knowledge. Rest follow their suit. So remain focussed and keep faith. dont let such things hinder your determination to settle here successfully.

If you think you would have been better off migrating to other countries - believe me there hundreds who are ready to trade places with you.

and as to happiness of those who are there in those countries you wont know about it unless you go there. e.g. look at following -

There are several forums with people wailing and ranting against USCIS for GC delays. check it out if you like ( http://www.rupnet.net/immigration/p...ply.asp?id=6650 )

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:10 am

SidB wrote:
Eugene_UK wrote:We should ask JCWI to act on our behalf and take this case to the court against HO. I did not find anything on their web-site yet condemning new changes. I think this is clear breach of British law and we should not tolerate it. What if they decide tomorrow to change from 5 to 15 years?!

http://www.jcwi.org.uk/index.html
All,

Eugene has provided a good starting point. The forum looks like a promising place to raise our concerns in addition to what we're doing to raise it with the local MPs.

There is an e-mail address provided on the site (info@jcwi.org.uk). We should all drop them a note to relay our concerns and ask them if they can help. We can even offer to pool in some resources to support them to take our concerns forward.

What do you all say?

Sid
How can this organisation help us eventually?

And what email address did you write to SID.

Kavik

Post by Kavik » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:14 am

Yes, I think I've got got only this choice left. I called today to Croydon. They're being really rude. She is saying I've to call on 30th March to get appointment for 31st March. What can I do if they say no appoinments left.
"Transitional arrangements are in place to ensure that those who apply before the changes will have their applications handled under the old rules, even if the decision is made after 3 April. The date of application will be the date of postage."
Do I need to post application on 1st April(saturday) as I'll be 28 days before 4 years on that date. If I post application before that date they might say I'm not eligible yet.

Thanks
Smit wrote:Kavik,

Before you start panicking, remember all is not lost if you can't get an appointment at a PEO with your tight timelines.

You can always post your application say in the next week and you will be fine as long as the application reaches IND before 3rd April 2006 and is considered by them after the 3 years 11 months period.

My advice to you would be to post the application rather than running around to PEO's in panic mode.

Smit

ezh

Post by ezh » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:44 am

I am really sorry for those of you who have been affected by the new decision and the style of conducting it to your lives - bad luck indeed :cry:

But try not to be so stress out by this too much - time flies and 12 month will go quickly :) All shall be well!

I guess the goverment people responsible for the decision have their reasons and I believe nothing can change their decision, unfortunately. For example a careful look to the immigration of skilled people to the UK since May 2004 would allow us to predict easily this decision to happen. Remember that there are many very well educated and higly skilled people who are arriving to the UK from Eastern Europe - there is a constan supply of them. It was hugely underestimated their possible number, perhaps 20 or so times. Everyone does mistakes.

Still at present the UK has the best immigration policy for the skilled, much better than compared, for example, to Germany and the other continental countries. There are no doubts about it. So do not despair...

I also think that problem with mortgages some of you complained here could be favorably negotiated - banks and building societies are doing business and they will not want to loose thousand deals with potential ILR holders so easily. Do shopping around...
Last edited by ezh on Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

dabar

Post by dabar » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:45 am

basis wrote:There are several forums with people wailing and ranting against USCIS for GC delays. check it out if you like ( http://www.rupnet.net/immigration/p...ply.asp?id=6650 )
For the benefit of those who are interested.
The above link didn't work. So I've tried to fill the missing url.
http://www.rupnet.net/immigration/posts ... sp?id=6650

Hope this is the correct thread basis wanted to point to.

basis

Post by basis » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:49 am

thanks dabar.

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:03 am

tutu1005 wrote:
Thank you for your “kind reminder” that we are only temporarily allowed to work and stay here. We never denied that we do not agree with it. However the fact is, if there is no promise in the immigration rule of the UK to say that after 4 years WP/HSMP you could apply ILR, I believe most of us probably will never come to this country (high living cost and low salary comparing with US and some other country) or have left this country for a long time. There is a difference between betray the promise and tell the world – hi, come here but there is no guarantee that you will get PR after whatever the years (Like US does and also US is the NO1 economic country but UK is, well probably 6th?). One is cheating and another one is trade- you like it, you come otherwise do not come.

We do not mind 4 to 5, but we do mind cheating. If the rule is to apply, it has to make sure that the people who have been promised should not be affected. Otherwise, it is cheating. Some of us have spent nearly 8 year here (high education + WP). We could spend our 4/8 years well somewhere else. Like Canada- normal process before entry with PR is 18months and after that applicants need to stay in Canada for 3 years for nationality, max. 4.5 for nationality. Like Australia- normal process before entry with PR is 8-18 months, (one of my friends only used 7 months) after that applicants need to stay in Australia for 2 years for nationality, totally max. 3.5 year for nationality. As I have just said, US told us that we might not get anything after Hb1, so I did not choose to go there.

We do appreciate the UK is willing to provide opportunity for us to work here but we do insist 1, we are not asylum seeker, we could choose other countries if this country is not suitable for us. 2, we come here with trust, with believe that after 4 years hard work we will get what the UK has promised. 3, the UK needs us as well. As I said before, NHS is begging for clinical professional from all over the world, the unbalance of UK labour market is begging all other professionals, we are needed here. If we all leave today, I am sure you will change your idea instantly.

Do not expect us will knee and kiss the feet just because “UK IS IMMIGRANT FRIENDLY COUNTRY WHO ALLOWS YOU TO STAY HER TEMPORARILY”. Some of us has spend their 3 years in university, 1 year in Master and nearly 4 years in the work and now those who has done so will get their ILR as some people just lived here for 10 years. How unfair!! Why should we after contributing our tuition fees here (4 years, if overseas probably about £40,000) and paying our tax and NI here but get the exact the same thing as some people just lived here for 10 years??

Not to mention the direct or indirect unfair treatment we have received, we would say that it is rubbish to say that the UK is LEGAL Immigrants friendly now!!!

At least, I am doing my immigration to Canada now. I will not need to lower my head to appreciate your kindness in the near future and will still contribute but to the country who recognise me and appreciate me as I appreciate her.
I don't fully understand your points and you're obviously full of rage at some perceived injustice but let me just re-iterate a fe basic things:

- No one 'promised' you settlement when you applied for and were issued a work permit. All you would have is a statement that you could become eligible to apply.
- In the US, you do not get settlement by spending X number of years in the country. In fact, the length of time you live there has absolutely no impact on the green card process whatsoever.
- You don't have a RIGHT to demand settlement and your post suggests that you feel that the UK owes you settlement because you have spent some years here. You're the one who needs to make a decision on whether you want to settle in the UK and that involves integrating and accepting the laws of the land. 5 years to settlement is hardly a draconian or unreasonable method by international standards especially as unlike most other countries, you basically get ILR just by filling out a form at the end of that period.
- Good luck on your application for Canada. I believe it takes 3-4 years for a decision to be made and it also involves you getting police records from all countries you have ever lived in. And the process seems to be getting progressively slower. Compare that to the straightforward UK procedure.

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:17 am

lemess wrote:
tutu1005 wrote: - Good luck on your application for Canada. I believe it takes 3-4 years for a decision to be made and it also involves you getting police records from all countries you have ever lived in. And the process seems to be getting progressively slower. Compare that to the straightforward UK procedure.
At least they stick to their words and set UNAMBIGIOUS rules.

abcd1

Post by abcd1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:19 am

Does anyone know why this news was not flashed anywhere? Had I not viewed this forum, I wouldn't have known it. I think still many prospective ILR applicants are unware of this sudden change.

basis

Post by basis » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:23 am

Chris wrote:
lemess wrote:
tutu1005 wrote: - Good luck on your application for Canada. I believe it takes 3-4 years for a decision to be made and it also involves you getting police records from all countries you have ever lived in. And the process seems to be getting progressively slower. Compare that to the straightforward UK procedure.
So you would rather hurt yourself but protest against the UK administrators......dude its not time to be emotional...who knows Canada can also change it overnight while you are there.....Is there a gurantee....Things like immigration are policy matters of a govt and they can change it to accommodate global changes and protect the national interest as they perceive it. There is strong political bias too....

Take it easy.....chill out and think rationally. Dont forget you have already made some investment in this country of your personal life, time, money and effort....dont squander that away. My friends in Canada and the US want to desperately come to the UK............think why........Grass is ....

Good luck in whatever you do...choice is yours...

Kavik

Post by Kavik » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:23 am

Yes, I don't why it didn't come in any news papers? I'm sure many people might not aware of this.
abcd1 wrote:Does anyone know why this news was not flashed anywhere? Had I not viewed this forum, I wouldn't have known it. I think still many prospective ILR applicants are unware of this sudden change.

raina

ILR being extended to 5 years

Post by raina » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:31 am

Geeze-- I was also going to apply this May...........

What is strange is that they have introduced such a short cut off period.If they announced it in March but WEF next year March or something like this then no one would really complain as they would have the time to adjust.

I also found out only from this forum today that the period has now changed.
Last edited by raina on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:31 am

Chris wrote:
lemess wrote:
There is nothing ambiguous about the rules in the UK. All that has happened is that they have been changed to become more aligned to those in the rest of Europe. The change was also widely expected and discussed before being implemented.
There is no guarantee that Canada will not change its rules at some points either. Immigration rules are predominantly made on the basis of the perceived interests of the country and its citizens and not based on the interests of the immigrant. This is true for every country.

You just have to deal with that hard fact.
Last edited by lemess on Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:32 am

Yes, i've been searching for this information everywhere else, but no luck.

Thanks to OP and this board
Kavik wrote:Yes, I don't why it didn't come in any news papers? I'm sure many people might not aware of this.
abcd1 wrote:Does anyone know why this news was not flashed anywhere? Had I not viewed this forum, I wouldn't have known it. I think still many prospective ILR applicants are unware of this sudden change.

raina

Post by raina » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:37 am

Lemess and Tutu- In all fairness I think you should just leave the posters alone as they are upset for a reason.

Its no point arguing for the sake of arguing.

There are so many ppl who are reading this forum for a serious reason and for some serious information (like myself as I am affected by this change)

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:37 am

lemess wrote:
Chris wrote:
lemess wrote:
There is nothing ambiguous about the rules in the UK. All that has happened is that they have been changed to become more aligned to those in the rest of Europe. The change was also widely expected and discussed before being implemented.
There is no guarantee that Canada will not change its rules at some points either. Immigration rules are predominantly made on the basis of the perceived interests of the country and its citizens and not based on the interests of the immigrant. This is true for every country.

You just have to deal with that hard fact.

My friend you are deviating from the main point.

No one so far has been talking so strongly against the 5 year rules.

Its the retrospective effect which has outraged the immigrants.

abcd1

Post by abcd1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:43 am

Complaint it to all leading newspapers & TV channels including BBC watchdog.

Protest in as many ways you can.

Just chatting here whether UK is better than Canda/USA won't to any good. Just raise the issue everywhere so that it becomes a news that affects several thousands of people!!!!

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:44 am

raina wrote:Lemess and Tutu- In all fairness I think you should just leave the posters alone as they are upset for a reason.

Its no point arguing for the sake of arguing.

There are so many ppl who are reading this forum for a serious reason and for some serious information (like myself as I am affected by this change)
What does "leave someone alone" on a public bulletin board mean ?

Of course people are upset but if someone posts strong sentiments on a public forum they have to accept that they will get responses to their postings from others. And they will not always be the ones that they would like to hear.
No one so far has been talking so strongly against the 5 year rules.

Its the retrospective effect which has outraged the immigrants.
I understand that. I accept that this a blow to people who were affected by the cutoff date but this was always a possibility and in my view waiting an additional 12 months for ILR is not an "outrage" as is being suggested by some. Whilst an inconvenience, by international standards the UK still has reasonably friendly immigration paths to settlement. I was just responding to people dissing the country based on this change of law.

Eugene_UK

Post by Eugene_UK » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:08 pm

I completely agree with those who think that we have to stop complaining and crying here...let`s do something real.
As we pointed earlier let`s contact as many sources as possible.
I think good idea would be to orginize some PR-action which will draw the attention of the media - why don`t we get together one day by the House of Parlament and protest against this decision? It should be done as soon as possible as it feels that HO want to get away with this, I don`t think anything else will help but protest will attract a lot of attention. We have a choice: to accept this decision and wait for another year or another surprise or to try to do whatever is humanly possible to amend the paragraphs about those who already on WP. Please spread the message as far and as wide as possible. Nobody will punish you for this. We are legal here, we are paying taxes, we are not claiming benefits. This country should also offer something to us in return.

K2004

Post by K2004 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:26 pm

anyone know how to send news to evening standard or metro or BBC?

i know the link for watchdog but i dont think its useful for this case
http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/

I ask moderators to send an email to all who are registered in this boards asking for their support..if everyone bring 1 friend we could have a protest of around 200 persons perhaps..thats will impact..i suggest starting from outside home office into westminster...

I am already British but ready to help as much as I can...

cheers
Last edited by K2004 on Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris

Post by Chris » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:30 pm

Eugene_UK wrote:I completely agree with those who think that we have to stop complaining and crying here...let`s do something real.
As we pointed earlier let`s contact as many sources as possible.
I think good idea would be to orginize some PR-action which will draw the attention of the media - why don`t we get together one day by the House of Parlament and protest against this decision? It should be done as soon as possible as it feels that HO want to get away with this, I don`t think anything else will help but protest will attract a lot of attention. We have a choice: to accept this decision and wait for another year or another surprise or to try to do whatever is humanly possible to amend the paragraphs about those who already on WP. Please spread the message as far and as wide as possible. Nobody will punish you for this. We are legal here, we are paying taxes, we are not claiming benefits. This country should also offer something to us in return.
I quite liked your idea, lets get to some real action. What are the way we could adopt to fight against this.

1)protest
2)writing to local MP's etc.
3)Emailing to HO

How much ever we cry or yell this will not be heard outside this forum. Apparently we need to get together or get someone as a representative and take action not by merely writing again and again to this topic.

Any suggestion how can we come together personally and act???
Maybe fix some date/time/place(weekend probably) and take from there.

Atleast we will not repent for not taking any action even if we had to lose.

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:31 pm

I don't think this is an issue that will grab the papers as it affects only a minority and will not be seen as a big public issue. The casual british citizen will not perceive this as very draconian or a massive injustice and that will determine how much interest the popular print media will take in it.
A left leaning paper like the Guardian may give some coverage to it I guess so it may be worth writing to them but I can't see a strong story emerging from it . It isn't quite the same as a hard luck asylum story of eggregious injustice which they are more likely to play up.

Representation through MPs is likely to be more effective in my view but bear in mind if you don't actually have a vote they may be not be ultra keen either.

K2004

Post by K2004 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:44 pm

Lemess,

I think it is a big issue, last week all media has talked about the new point based immigration system.. i think this issue is as important as that...

tvt

Post by tvt » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:49 pm

The best way for you is not to protest outside parliament like a bunch of idiots but to involve MPs. Bearing in mind we are talking about hunders of thousands of voters here this should make a difference. Make it very simple for your MPs - the issue is whether these votes go for you or go for your competitor.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>