ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Overseas Citizenship of India (OCI)

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

asterix09
Newly Registered

Post by asterix09 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:50 pm

kssantosh wrote:Its been close to 2 months now and the status still says as below:

File(Acknowledgment) No xxxxxx
Online Registration No xxxxxxx
Applicant's Name xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date Of Acknowledgment 26-MAR-2010
Application Status
Registration Status UnderProcess
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at LONDON NOT YET

Has anyone who has applied in HCI London after 26th March got any further??
Yours should get moving soon. I had applied a week before you, and my status is as follows:

Date Of Acknowledgment 19-MAR-2010
Application Status
Photo / Signature Scanned On 13-MAY-10

kssantosh
Newly Registered

Post by kssantosh » Thu May 20, 2010 8:06 am

Thanks all for replying..

@llNicell: I too submitted my application in person. I think you have been very luck to have got it so fast.

But, honestly, for stright forward application i would think should not take more than 1 month. If you look at it, for people who have had previous indian passport and have recently surrendered it (i hope yours is the same case), i think there is not much of cross checks to be done and hence it should not technically take so long as in our cases. Infact i should say you also should have got it a bit more earlier.

I understand that it might take a bit of time for cross checking for applicants applying on the basis of their parents/Grandparents being indians.

asterix09: Your post gives me a ray of hope that it would move a bit in the coming few days.
Last edited by kssantosh on Fri May 21, 2010 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

kssantosh
Newly Registered

Post by kssantosh » Fri May 21, 2010 9:23 am

@Asterix09:
You are a star. I am exactly 1 week behind you. Checked today and got this:
Photo/Signature Scanned On 20-MAY-2010

Please do keep your status changes posted... :-)

asterix09
Newly Registered

Post by asterix09 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:36 pm

kssantosh wrote:@Asterix09:

@kssantosh : Thanks.... but rather than me, its the guys at MEA Delhi who should be stars ! If you look at some of the recent timelines posted here, it takes roughly 1 month from the date the photo is scanned, until the docs are received at London. Clearly, ever since the 2 month rule was introduced, the MEA has been inundated with OCI requests and are unable to handle the workload.
Good luck with the rest of the process.

Shadow Love
Newly Registered

Post by Shadow Love » Sat May 22, 2010 2:18 pm

Photo/Signature Scanned On 13-MAY-2010

My acknowledgment date was 19th March, and I still haven't heard back. It's not 12 weeks yet, but should I worry?

Shadow Love
Newly Registered

Post by Shadow Love » Sun May 23, 2010 12:24 pm

From the above replies, I'm guessing my OCI would be arriving in London around the 13th of June, as my photo scanned date was 13th of May. However, I will be in India then, until the 4th of July. Will the embassy keep hold of my details, until I can pick them up after I return to the UK? Does anyone know how long the embassy keeps unclaimed OCIs? I'm worried they might throw it away if unclaimed for 2 weeks. Does anyone recommend me mailing them to let them know I'm away?

asterix09
Newly Registered

Post by asterix09 » Sun May 23, 2010 11:31 pm

Shadow Love wrote:From the above replies, I'm guessing my OCI would be arriving in London around the 13th of June, as my photo scanned date was 13th of May. However, I will be in India then, until the 4th of July. Will the embassy keep hold of my details, until I can pick them up after I return to the UK? Does anyone know how long the embassy keeps unclaimed OCIs? I'm worried they might throw it away if unclaimed for 2 weeks. Does anyone recommend me mailing them to let them know I'm away?
I know of someone who went to the High Commission to get the OCI stamped on his passport approx a month after the "Docs received in London" date. So rest assured, the HCI will not throw away your application - within 2 weeks at least. You're free to mail them and advise them of your travel plans. But knowing how they operate, it will probably be ignored.

asterix09
Newly Registered

Post by asterix09 » Mon May 24, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi - my status has updated to the following :
Registration Status GRANTED 24-MAY-2010

Going by some of the other messages, docs should hopefully be in London in another 1-2 weeks.

kssantosh
Newly Registered

Post by kssantosh » Tue May 25, 2010 12:12 pm

asterix09 wrote:

Going by some of the other messages, docs should hopefully be in London in another 1-2 weeks.
That's fantastic new Asterix09..I hopefully should get to your state next week..

Shadow Love
Newly Registered

Post by Shadow Love » Wed May 26, 2010 8:24 pm

asterix09 wrote:
I know of someone who went to the High Commission to get the OCI stamped on his passport approx a month after the "Docs received in London" date. So rest assured, the HCI will not throw away your application - within 2 weeks at least. You're free to mail them and advise them of your travel plans. But knowing how they operate, it will probably be ignored.
Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll have to get on with the futile task with e-mailing them my travel plans, fully knowing it will be completely ignored!

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:16 pm

Not sure how soon this will be adopted in the UK:
PIOs win, Govt eases passport regulations

Bowing to strong protests by the Indian diaspora, the Government has relaxed the newly-enforced stringent norms which mandated the surrender of passports by all Persons of Indian Origin (PIOs) within 90 days.
“Persons who became citizens of other countries till May 31, 2010, are not required to pay US $175 to surrender their Indian passports and get a surrender certificate. But then, they will have to return the passports and get a surrender certificate. A miscellaneous fee of US$ 20 will be charged from them. There is no time-frame stipulated for this, though it is better to do it as soon as possible,â€

asterix09
Newly Registered

Post by asterix09 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:23 pm

kssantosh wrote:
asterix09 wrote:

That's fantastic new Asterix09..I hopefully should get to your state next week..
Hi - checked my status. Docs have arrived in London today - i.e. 3rd June.
Dispatch date was 26-MAY-10.

kssantosh
Newly Registered

Post by kssantosh » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:38 am

asterix09 wrote:
Hi - checked my status. Docs have arrived in London today - i.e. 3rd June.
Dispatch date was 26-MAY-10.
Great news.. Mines updated today:

Registration Status Granted On 04-JUN-2010

Nearly there... :-)

chakku71

OCI-Birmingham

Post by chakku71 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:40 pm

I I saw a lot of posts were OCI have been granted in around 3 months time. Its been 2.5 months since I submitted to CGI-Birmingham (middle of March, in person) and it has not even been acknowledged. Has this been the experience for other who applied in Birmingham. A friend of mine who applied a week prior to my date of submission is also in the same boat
BB

Shadow Love
Newly Registered

Re: OCI-Birmingham

Post by Shadow Love » Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:26 pm

chakku71 wrote:I I saw a lot of posts were OCI have been granted in around 3 months time. Its been 2.5 months since I submitted to CGI-Birmingham (middle of March, in person) and it has not even been acknowledged. Has this been the experience for other who applied in Birmingham. A friend of mine who applied a week prior to my date of submission is also in the same boat
How did you submit your application? If you'd submitted it in person, your acknowledgment would be the same day, since you would get the reference number and receipt. If you sent it by post, your acknowledgment date would be when they received it at the embassy and usually, it is allocated a reference number within 1-2 days. Were you given a reference number? I would suggest contacting the HCI as soon as possible.

chakku71

Post by chakku71 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:22 am

Thanks Shadow Love. I did it by person and an 'acknowledgement' slip was given. So the next I would hear is when the whole process is completed and the OCI is ready to be stamped? Has that been the experience for CGI Birmingham applicants? Anyone??
BB

Shadow Love
Newly Registered

Post by Shadow Love » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:24 pm

chakku71 wrote:Thanks Shadow Love. I did it by person and an 'acknowledgement' slip was given. So the next I would hear is when the whole process is completed and the OCI is ready to be stamped? Has that been the experience for CGI Birmingham applicants? Anyone??
Umm, can't answer for Birmingham, but I submitted my application at London on the 19th of March and this was my OCI card journey -

Date Of Acknowledgment 19-MAR-2010
Registration Status Granted On 03-JUN-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 13-MAY-2010
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 04-JUN-2010

I have heard horror stories about submissions at Birmingham CGI, where application forms disappear into a black hole! Have you tried e-mailing them? This is the contact e-mail as per the OCI card info, if you are having issues. shettybn@nic.in. Also, they wouldn't contact you if your OCI documents have been received at the CGI. It's down to us to constantly check the online status, and when the status says documents arrived, then allow couple of days before you go to collect it.

PCB
Newly Registered

OCI Update

Post by PCB » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:39 pm

Hi

Applied on : 3-Mar-2010
Date Of Acknowledgment :3-Jun-2010
Registration Status Granted : Under progress
Photo/Signature Scanned On : 5-Jun-2010
Documents Printing Status : Not Printed
Documents Printed On :
Documents Received at Birmingham NOT YET

Regards
PCB

chakku71

Re: OCI Update

Post by chakku71 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:04 am

PCB wrote:Hi

Registration Status Granted : Under progress
Documents Printing Status : Not Printed
Documents Printed On :

Regards
PCB
Thanks PCB- My date of application is only the 23rd of March so may be have to for another month.
BB

personofindianorigin
Newly Registered

Post by personofindianorigin » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:32 pm

Wonder how long HCI in UK will take to put the below into effect

[u]GOVT. OF INDIA RELENTS FURTHER ON THE NEW RULES ON INDIAN PASSPORT SURRENDER AND RENUNCIATION OF INDIAN CITIZENSHIP[/u]

FOR IMMEDIATE ATTENTION OF NRI AND PIOs

The Global Organization of People of Indian Origin (GOPIO International) acknowledges with gratitude the substantial achievement realized with remarkably quick action when the government of India issued a clarification on June 1, 2010 "that PIOs will not be asked to pay any renunciation charges".
There still remained valid issues that needed prompt remedial action by the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) and the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA). For this reason, GOPIO had continued its appeal to the Government of India on behalf the global Indian community in pursuit of fairness and equitable treatment of those Indians who have become citizens of other countries. These concerns include lost, misplaced or missing passports, substantiation documents, surrender forms, fees and cut-off dates. GOPIO has brought these concerns to the attention of Hon. Vayalar Ravi, Minister of MOIA.

We are pleased to announce that the following communiqué from Dr. A. Didar Singh, Secretary, Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA) has substantially resolved the matter and eased the burden previously placed on Indians who acquired citizenship of other countries.

Dr. A. Didar Singh
Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs (MOIA)
Date: Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:11 AM
Subject: passport surrender issue

D.O.No.OI-15014/02/2009-DS 11th June 2010

Dear Overseas Indian,

This Ministry received a large number of representations from PIOs, particularly in the U.S.A., protesting the recent circulars hosted on the websites of our Missions in the US regarding the levy of registration charges for 'declaration of renunciation of Indian Citizenship' and the imposition of penalties for delayed surrender or non-surrender of Indian passports last held by them. Some of these representations and petitions were also addressed to the Hon'ble Minister for Overseas Indian Affairs, as also the Hon'ble Prime Minister.

2. I write this to inform you that in appreciation of the sentiments expressed in many of these representations and petitions, I had taken up the issues raised therein with the Ministry of Home Affairs (which administers the Citizenship Act and the Rules made thereunder, which provide for the levy of a fee of Rs.7000/- for registration of a declaration of renunciation of Indian citizenship by a PIO) and the Ministry of External Affairs (which administers the Passport Act and Rules, which provide for penalties for delayed surrender or non-surrender of Indian passports last held by PIOs, as also their misuse).

3. I am glad to report that following my demarche interventions MHA had issued a circular communication on 01.06.2010, clarifying that the fee of Rs.7000/- for registration of a 'declaration of renunciation of Indian citizenship' will only be charged from PIOs, who intend to acquire foreign nationality/citizenship in future and those who have already acquired such foreign citizenship in the past, will, by virtue of Section 9 of the Citizenship Act, 1955, cease to be Indian citizens forthwith, upon such acquisition of foreign citizenship and they will not be required to make such a 'declaration of renunciation of Indian citizenship'.

4. As regards the surrender of Indian passports last held by such PIOs, it has been clarified by MEA vide their circular letter dated 03.05.2010 [para 2(viii)] that there would be no need to surrender a passport which expired before 2005.

5. I trust with these clarifications issued by MHA and MEA, the grievance expressed by you PIOs, stands redressed. *

With regards,

Yours sincerely,

Sd/-

Dr. A. Didar Singh)

Copy to: JS(PMO), JS(CPV), JS(Foreigners), MHA

All Indian Missions in US (Washington, NY, Chicago, San Francisco, Houston)

HCI, London

PCB
Newly Registered

OCI Update

Post by PCB » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:15 am

Hi

Registration Status Granted : Granted on 16-Jun-2010
Documents Printing Status : Printed
Documents Printed On :19-Jun-2010

Regards
PCB

joker3001
Newly Registered

Post by joker3001 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:09 am

Hi,

Just a quick question.

I applied for my entire family but did not surrender my wifes passport, she was an Indian citizen till 2004 and is now British. Her Indian passport has been cancelled at the time she acquired British citizenship.

My kids and I have acknowledgements registered on the OCI, however my wifes application has not been acknowledged. Is there anything I can do to sort this out? Send her passport in to surrender with the correct fee (I believe it is £14 now).

http://hcilondon.in/renunciation.php

Cheers
J

gainvidya
Member of Standing

Post by gainvidya » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:26 am

joker3001 wrote:Hi,

Just a quick question.

I applied for my entire family but did not surrender my wifes passport, she was an Indian citizen till 2004 and is now British. Her Indian passport has been cancelled at the time she acquired British citizenship.

My kids and I have acknowledgements registered on the OCI, however my wifes application has not been acknowledged. Is there anything I can do to sort this out? Send her passport in to surrender with the correct fee (I believe it is £14 now).

http://hcilondon.in/renunciation.php

Cheers
J
Surren certificate was about £90ish until couple of month now raised to £103 per person I beleive.

mama
Newly Registered

Post by mama » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:24 pm

The surrender fee is now 14£ as we found out just last week for my son's surrender certificate.
Unfortunately my husband and i paid 103£ each in May! Oh well, it is the high commission of india so you cant expect them to return the loot that they have taken from so many people..daylight robbers

amreenmalik

OCI for Child.

Post by amreenmalik » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:21 pm

Hi,
I recently got ILR for me and my family including my wife and my child who is born here. Now I have got British passport for my child as she was born here. Me and my wife are waiting to naturalise next year.

What do I do from this point?
Should I surrender my child's Indian passport and apply for OCI.
If so can I apply OCI for the child alone now and do for the adults next year when we get British passports or should I wait for us to get the British passports and apply for all of us together. In the mean time how can my child travel to India as we have both Indian and British passports for my child.

Please advice.
Thankyou.