ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should I ask my new employer for a sponsorship license?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

designuk
Newly Registered

Should I ask my new employer for a sponsorship license?

Post by designuk » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:36 pm

Hi,

I'm really worried about my situation and will appreciate your help. I'm on a PSW visa and am in UK right now. I just got a new job which I have to start next week. Now the problem is that the company is not on the register of sponsors list, which means that they do not have the sponsor license as yet. Although I can work for them now as my Tier 1 visa is valid, but after 4 months it will end and I'll need a CoS to switch to Tier 2 at that time.

My problem is that I'm too afraid to ask the employers to get the sponsor license, because what if they say they don't want to (for any reason e.g cost, time etc) and I may lose my job. Is it better to work for them for a month so they can see my performance and then decide if they want to make the effort to keep me? Or should I discuss this now in order to clear things up before I start work?

Also, if you can suggest a good solicitor then I can maybe offer them to help in all the procedure.

Please help, don't want to lose this job.

rahul12345

Post by rahul12345 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:02 pm

Compnay will need time to apply for sponsor license (not sure about how much time it takes, but I assume it will be more than 1 or 2 months as UKBA will check all the details including the human resource management system of the company before issuing licence). So if you tell them just before your visa is expiring they will not at all be able to help.

Don't know what you should do. But keep the above factor in mind.

Good luck.

ash786
BANNED

Re: Should I ask my new employer for a sponsorship license?

Post by ash786 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:31 pm

designuk wrote:Hi,

I'm really worried about my situation and will appreciate your help. I'm on a PSW visa and am in UK right now. I just got a new job which I have to start next week. Now the problem is that the company is not on the register of sponsors list, which means that they do not have the sponsor license as yet. Although I can work for them now as my Tier 1 visa is valid, but after 4 months it will end and I'll need a CoS to switch to Tier 2 at that time.

My problem is that I'm too afraid to ask the employers to get the sponsor license, because what if they say they don't want to (for any reason e.g cost, time etc) and I may lose my job. Is it better to work for them for a month so they can see my performance and then decide if they want to make the effort to keep me? Or should I discuss this now in order to clear things up before I start work?

Also, if you can suggest a good solicitor then I can maybe offer them to help in all the procedure.

Please help, don't want to lose this job.
1. U shud clear these things now as u do not have much time left to switch over and getting the licence takes time.

designuk
Newly Registered

Post by designuk » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:24 pm

Thanks guys,

I think you're right I should not waste any time and talk to them on the first day of job. It will be very sad if they refuse to co-operate in getting the license but at least I will be prepared for any alternatives.

If any of you can suggest a good solicitor then maybe I can offer them to help out with the application.

Thanks a bunch guys and fingers crossed.

Mel-Mex
Newly Registered

Post by Mel-Mex » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:46 pm

Hi!
I experienced a similar situation with my job. Probably the best thing to do is to come up clean and explain the situation. You may be surprised of the good reaction you can get!! Your new employer obviously wants you and your skills otherwise you wouldn't have got the job, so a few hundred pounds are not gonna stop them from employing you.

Things to bear in mind, the UKBA is actually quite helpful and if your company really wants to get a sponsorship licence and get all the paper work in place, they can get it in less than a month. My employer just did that on April, after I no longer qualified for a Tier 1 and they got their licence in record time... 3 wks!!!

Don't worry about generating the CoS as this is done fairly quickly and is very simple.

To be fair, you guys can probably do the whole thing without needing a lawyer. Just read the guidance yourself and be as helpful and proactive as possible. The application is quite simple, just check the details and make sure you provide all the right documentation.

Good luck!

doc44
- thin ice -

Post by doc44 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:25 am

Mel-Mex wrote:Hi!
I experienced a similar situation with my job. Probably the best thing to do is to come up clean and explain the situation. You may be surprised of the good reaction you can get!! Your new employer obviously wants you and your skills otherwise you wouldn't have got the job, so a few hundred pounds are not gonna stop them from employing you.

Things to bear in mind, the UKBA is actually quite helpful and if your company really wants to get a sponsorship licence and get all the paper work in place, they can get it in less than a month. My employer just did that on April, after I no longer qualified for a Tier 1 and they got their licence in record time... 3 wks!!!

Don't worry about generating the CoS as this is done fairly quickly and is very simple.

To be fair, you guys can probably do the whole thing without needing a lawyer. Just read the guidance yourself and be as helpful and proactive as possible. The application is quite simple, just check the details and make sure you provide all the right documentation.

Good luck!
Hi Mel-mex,

I am not sure if I should send a private message. I am new to this forum so don't know which one is the best way to communicate.

My employer applied for a tier 2 sponsorship license on 21 December 2011. They have submitted all the related documents and payment is also made on this passed Monday. Now waiting for final confirmation letter from home office.

I am very worried as my old work permit visa is expiring on 11th Feb 2012. Do you know after making final payment, how long it takes to get a license. Do i have enough time?

Can I make out of time application after 11 feb 2012. I will be over stayer after 11th feb. Looking for your advice. Thanks.

tckraju
United Kingdom

Post by tckraju » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:09 pm

Hi doc44,

It took 2 weeks for my company to get the sponsor license after applying online, paying the fee and sending the documents necessary.

madona587
Member of Standing

Post by madona587 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:12 pm

I would speak to the employer right now ! I wouldn't waste a minute.

Don't think this is a "easy" process. It's easy for the companies which does good book keeping of all documents etc. It's always an extra burden and not all the companies will like to spend extra money and put in effort.

It's best to get the company registered early :)
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on :)

doc44
- thin ice -

Post by doc44 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:47 pm

madona587 wrote:I would speak to the employer right now ! I wouldn't waste a minute.

Don't think this is a "easy" process. It's easy for the companies which does good book keeping of all documents etc. It's always an extra burden and not all the companies will like to spend extra money and put in effort.

It's best to get the company registered early :)
Hi thanks.

My company has submitted online application on the 21 Dec 2011. Document submitted within 14 days. Minimum documents were required because its a government public body. Payment is made just passed Monday. I don't know if normally payment is made in the end. Will my 4 week processing period will start after payment date? Or initial application date.

Can I overstay for 28 days if license does not come in time?

As an overstayer can I use same work permit transitional arrangement A?
Will it effect my ILR application after 2 years?

Thanks. I have asked hr to speed up the process if possible.

dr_fish13
Newly Registered

Post by dr_fish13 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:54 pm

Although I can work for them now as my Tier 1 visa is valid, but after 4 months it will end and I'll need a CoS to switch to Tier 2 at that time.
The OP has 4 months of PSW. Even his company gets the licence before his PSW expiry, he still does not qualify for 6 months continuous employment.