ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:00 pm

If you had the power to set your own rate why would you be charging them only £25 at the moment ?
Contractors operate in a free market mate. If you have that much power to unilaterally raise the rates you should have done so anyway !

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:08 pm

lemess wrote:If you had the power to set your own rate why would you be charging them only £25 at the moment ?
Contractors operate in a free market mate. If you have that much power to unilaterally raise the rates you should have done so anyway !
Whichever way you look at it - people who have been affected by this draconian rule should find a way of benefiting by hook or crook :(
Where there is a will there is a way.

basis

Post by basis » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:26 pm

I can see again emotions flying high and little logic.......

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:15 pm

I sent an email to my Local MP today. waiting for response now.

but I wonder he will raise this in parliament as he is from Labour party.

what do you think?
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:25 pm

Well, I emailed my MP and sent a letter today, like I said, I'm not affected by this but it is still very unfair and worth making some noise about. Lets see what happens. How many of you in here have sent an email and letter to their MP? Also tell anybody you know who is affected by this, they need to send an email/letter too. If you want a template see my earlier post.

abcd1

Post by abcd1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:30 pm

I doubt whether the MPs will even read those mails! They get hundreds of mails everyday.

The problem is far more complicated than it seems. First we need to make everyone aware that it is an issue. I'm damn sure nobody outside this forum (except the lawyers ofcourse) are even aware of this change.

This will not just affect those who are on the cusp of ILR, but to ALL who are currently in 2nd or 3rd year of their stay in UK. So far everyone was under the impression that whatever be the new rule, it wouldn't affect those who have already entered under old rule!

It still bewilders me how can such rule take effect immediately.

We must flash it with the media!!!

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:30 pm

i've already sent e-mail to MP/HO/Guardian.

Also i've sent e-mails to known immigrants who directly affect this. 20 of them are NHS nurses, hope they can circulate a lot within NHS.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:41 pm

I tried contacting times/mirror (anti - labour) but I could not find any address where I can actually post this.

where can one do this?
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:47 pm

here you go
http://www.mirror.co.uk/contactus/

basically all e-mail addresses there
indian_in_uk wrote:I tried contacting times/mirror (anti - labour) but I could not find any address where I can actually post this.

where can one do this?

sandesh27uk
Newly Registered

Post by sandesh27uk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:05 pm

ForeignMan wrote:they are also considering changing the nationality period to 2 years on ILR. But I haven't read this anywhere myself so coud be wrong about it.

I think we should be grateful that they haven't changed it to say 7 years on WP for ILR. Their country their rules basically.
Hello their,

Offcourse their will be provisions made or thought to apply these change (if come true) to be applied only to those acquired their ILR after 5 years. Wouldn't it.

Even if they think of applying it on the flat grounds. Hopefully their will be certain provisions made to consider the "transitional phase".

Regards

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:21 pm

timefactor wrote:here you go
http://www.mirror.co.uk/contactus/

basically all e-mail addresses there
indian_in_uk wrote:I tried contacting times/mirror (anti - labour) but I could not find any address where I can actually post this.

where can one do this?
Email sent to Mirror as well.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:30 pm

Just started a discussion group at www.guardian.co.uk and raised my concern by giving some points taken from this forum.

Have a look and please contribute to it.

You have to register to the website to post the replies.

http://talk.guardian.co.uk/WebX?13@381. ... 775047d5/0
Last edited by indian_in_uk on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxima

Post by maxima » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:30 pm

I want apologise abt my previous remark abt voters. I didnt know that India is part of Commonwealth! :oops:

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:30 pm

Just started a discussion group at www.guardian.co.uk and raised my concern by giving some points taken from this forum.

Have a look and please contribute to it.

You have to register to the website to post the replies.

http://talk.guardian.co.uk/WebX?13@381. ... 775047d5/0

If the link does not work, then use

Guardian Talk -> UK News -> Recent changes to Immigration Rules - Injustice done to work permit holders and Highly skilled workers

Look forward to your inputs

thanks
Last edited by indian_in_uk on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:12 pm

I read the guardian post and have some comments.
I hate to come across as unsympathetic ( I'm not) but just posting notes on sites bemoaning the fact that you have to wait one more year is not going to attract many people or indeed change anything. Think objectively - why would anyone feel that a highly skilled person waiting an additional 12 months for settlement is a big issue they would get concerned about ? They would (rightly) assume that being highly skilled they will easily be able to have an above average job for an additional 12 months and just why this is a tale of woe rather than a minor inconvenience doesn't become obvious when seen from the perspective of a normal citizen who is generally not interested in the minutae of immigration rules.

To be succesful you need to highlight exactly what problems this is going to cause you, the unfairness of it , the financial cost and the likely number of people affected. That may be a stronger message.

Also I think everyone needs to be clear before they start mobilising support on what they are campaigning for. Is it to change the transition period, scrap the 5 year period or only apply it to entrants after a certain date etc.

shoegazer
Newly Registered

Post by shoegazer » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:31 pm

lemess wrote:I read the guardian post and have some comments.
I hate to come across as unsympathetic ( I'm not) but just posting notes on sites bemoaning the fact that you have to wait one more year is not going to attract many people or indeed change anything. Think objectively - why would anyone feel that a highly skilled person waiting an additional 12 months for settlement is a big issue they would get concerned about ? They would (rightly) assume that being highly skilled they will easily be able to have an above average job for an additional 12 months and just why this is a tale of woe rather than a minor inconvenience doesn't become obvious when seen from the perspective of a normal citizen who is generally not interested in the minutae of immigration rules.

To be succesful you need to highlight exactly what problems this is going to cause you, the unfairness of it , the financial cost and the likely number of people affected. That may be a stronger message.

Also I think everyone needs to be clear before they start mobilising support on what they are campaigning for. Is it to change the transition period, scrap the 5 year period or only apply it to entrants after a certain date etc.
I also think the Guardian post does not go far enough in highlighting the problems here.

1. legal migrants make up a significant portion of public sector employment in the UK. Many of whom came here with the expectation of naturalization in 5 years (4+1). The backbone of the NHS are nurses from the Philippines, India etc. They are all affected. Someone quoted a figure of 150,000 on WP, remember the total affected must be far higher than that (all applicants going back 3.5 years)

2. financial costs: WP/HSMP extension fees aside, this has serious implications for those on contract/project work, were negotiating salaries, etc; also consider mortgage lenders' extreme allergy to anyone not "permanently resident". This could destroy some people's short and medium term plans.

Personally I believe the "5 year rule" should be implemented after a longer transitional period of 12-24 months where those caught out would still be allowed to apply for ILR, but that is just because I am completing my 4 yrs in October. Either this, or align these changes to the proposed new points system so that a clear distinction is made (all HSMPs would still ILR after 4 years, all Tier 1-5s after 5 years).

The main complaint(s) should be on the lack of clarity and timeliness, the lack of a transition / review period which adversely affects us all, and the railroaded implementation.

I do not think rallies at Westminster will help us in any way. The best bet is to get the media on the trail. There is a legitimate angle in that people have sacrificed years of their life in public service and are being "bait and switched" because immigration rules are changed without transition or public notice. No one really believes that this is about "coming into line with EU regs", it is simply an extra income stream to cope with the major immigration overhaul, and it penalises five years worth of economic migrants with valuable skills.

my 2c

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:25 pm

shoegazer,
I think your line of thinking is very sound and I can see how a paper like guardian may do a little piece based on the profile of someone caught by this - how the evil HO turned someone's world upside down because he now can't get a mortgage etc etc and that can certainly raise the profileof the issue. Based on that MPs may also be more willing to engage.

My only reservation is that I think most unaffected people would probably be hard to convince that a 12 month delay in submitting a settlement application amounts to a serious immigration related problem.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:33 pm

Lemess and showgazer

You are right, I should not post it on the personal basis but should highlight the effects of the changed rules on people/business in the discussion.
I have changed the post based on the input/feedback provided.

Many thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate.
Last edited by indian_in_uk on Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gaurav

Post by gaurav » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:04 pm

Guys, I have written to my local MP as well .
But still wondering what can be a realistic solution to this be .Should''nt everybody already on WP/HSMP be provided a concession of 1 month on every 4months of there stay .That means more time you have spent more concession you get on 5yrs time......just a thought !!!!(Example somebody who has done 36 months should get a concession for 9 mnths and should now spend 60-9=51 months..sounds reasonable)

Chris can you plz add me to the list as well, ready to input time ,effort and money and 5-6 more friends who are not part of this forum are ready to contribute as well.

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:13 pm

Chris, please add my name to your list as well.

I am ready to input time ,effort and money I can inform some of my friends(who are also effeted by this rule) to join as well.

talktome

Finishing 4 yrs on 25th April

Post by talktome » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:08 pm

hi there ,
Have been going through this thread and was wondering if someone can shed some light on this . My 4 yrs are completing on 25th April , would I be eligible ?, I am going to try and contact the Immi office as well but has anyone had any similar experiences

Thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:25 pm

You mean that 25th April is the 4th anniversary? If so then you can apply 28 days earlier than that. A look at the calendar shows that to be on 28th March.

Accordingly you will clearly want to ensure that the application for ILR is submitted in March ... well certainly prior to 3rd April when the new provisions come in.
John

Kavik

Re: Finishing 4 yrs on 25th April

Post by Kavik » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:18 pm

If you have entered in the country on 25th April then you are eligible under old rules(4years). So you can book appoinment on 29th/30th/31st.

Call PEO tomorrow only. Do not delay. They might try to not book your appointment but you fight for it. If you can't get from Croydon call liverpool/birmingham. But do not delay it.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:29 pm

Or apply by post if you can't get an appointment. If sending by post do use Special Delivery ... well worth the circa £4 cost ..... proof of when it is delivered the next day.

Demand for appointment slots could be very high!
John

tutu1005

Post by tutu1005 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:01 am

I am not going to argue with you anymore Lemess , but I really suspect you are writing on behalf of some authorities here because your idea of we- as immigrants have to accept whatever happened to us, is so strong! I would rather use my time to support the action.

I agree with Chris, djbabyboom, grassvv, k2004, shoegazer ..... and a lot others who would like to take actions on it. I have forward my personal email to Chris. I have also post the link to other websites to let others know what we are doing here. Hope it will have some effects. I just think it is not the time for us to think about negotiation as suggested by Lemess. In my opinion, we should make it as bigger as possible first and then we will have more space to negotiate. If we ask 1, we probably will not even get 0. Another concern is about time left. If the rule is implemented, do we still stand the chance to change it or modify it? There are only 2 1/2 weeks left for us. Should we get together in some point? I am still thinking that even protest might be stupid but if we can gather a lot of people, we can at least attract the argument and media but I am not 100% sure.

lemess wrote:
Chris wrote:
lemess wrote:
tutu1005 wrote: - Good luck on your application for Canada. I believe it takes 3-4 years for a decision to be made and it also involves you getting police records from all countries you have ever lived in. And the process seems to be getting progressively slower. Compare that to the straightforward UK procedure.
At least they stick to their words and set UNAMBIGIOUS rules.
There is nothing ambiguous about the rules in the UK. All that has happened is that they have been changed to become more aligned to those in the rest of Europe. The change was also widely expected and discussed before being implemented.
There is no guarantee that Canada will not change its rules at some points either. Immigration rules are predominantly made on the basis of the perceived interests of the country and its citizens and not based on the interests of the immigrant. This is true for every country.

You just have to deal with that hard fact.