ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changes to Canadian immigration - Federal Skilled Workers

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Changes to Canadian immigration - Federal Skilled Workers

Post by raymasa2 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:25 am

Changes to the Federal Skilled Workers (FSW) category were announced on June 26th and will apply to all applications received on or after June 26th 2010. Please note that if your application was received by CIO before June 26th 2010, your application will be processed under the previous rules.

For full details to the changes, see:

http://canadagazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/201 ... s-eng.html

Summary of some major changes:

- Changes to the eligible list. There are now only 29 occupations eligible for FSW programme. Down from the previous 38. Some new ones were added, and some major ones were taken off, including IT manager. The new list is available on the above link as well as at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/ ... s.asp#list

- Cap on the numbers of applications. Only 20,000 applications under the FSW will be processed in a year. Furthermore, a maximum of 1,000 applications will be processed in any one of the eligible occupations.

- Language requirements. You must submit proof of language with your initial application. At this point there seems to be a consensus on various forums that everyone will now have to take a language exam, including those whose native language is English and/or French.

Ray

sekhar0520
Newly Registered

Not eligible under current rules...plz help

Post by sekhar0520 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi

I have applied for immigration application from India in first week of April. At that time I was eligible under the rules as I fall into IT Manager category. On June 21st I have received a mail to submit the original application within 120 days to New Delhi Canadian embassy from Nova Scotia, Sydney.

I am waiting for my IELTS result and planning to apply in the next month. Am I eligible to apply now as IT Manager is removed from the list of occupations?

Please clarify.....thanks in advance

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Re: Not eligible under current rules...plz help

Post by raymasa2 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:29 pm

sekhar0520 wrote:Hi

I have applied for immigration application from India in first week of April. At that time I was eligible under the rules as I fall into IT Manager category. On June 21st I have received a mail to submit the original application within 120 days to New Delhi Canadian embassy from Nova Scotia, Sydney.

I am waiting for my IELTS result and planning to apply in the next month. Am I eligible to apply now as IT Manager is removed from the list of occupations?

Please clarify.....thanks in advance
I knew someone was going to ask that, hence why I wrote in bold in my original post:

Please note that if your application was received by CIO before June 26th 2010, your application will be processed under the previous rules.

Ray

jay09

Post by jay09 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:36 am

Ray,

Here are my two questions.

Does it mean that once the 1000 per NOC cap has been met for a particular year, other applications will be refused.

Is this cap per visa processing centre or overall visa granted for entry into Canada by the canadian high commisions worldwide.

Cheers

Jay

adityak77
Member of Standing

Post by adityak77 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:22 pm

Changes and tight immigration rules now impacted

First changes to MODL in AU , UK BA from 19th July and now Canada. ( removal of IT)

So does this mean that no IT professional can come to Canada under FSW?

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:26 pm

jay09 wrote:Is this cap per visa processing centre or overall visa granted for entry into Canada by the canadian high commisions worldwide.
The cap is global, not to a particular visa office. Globally they will only approve 20,000 applications per year.
jay09 wrote:Does it mean that once the 1000 per NOC cap has been met for a particular year, other applications will be refused.

It's not yet clear how they are going to handle that. They may move those applications to the next year's quota, or they may reject it. Don't know, until CIC makes this clear.

If you qualify, you would want to apply as soon as you can. You never know what other changes might happen.

Ray
Last edited by raymasa2 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:28 pm

adityak77 wrote:Changes and tight immigration rules now impacted

First changes to MODL in AU , UK BA from 19th July and now Canada. ( removal of IT)

Under FSW yes, but you can still apply if you get a job offer. Also look at NOC 1122 to see if you can qualify under that (if your IT experience is/was consultancy to management).

Ray

adityak77
Member of Standing

Post by adityak77 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:39 am

raymasa2 wrote:
adityak77 wrote:Changes and tight immigration rules now impacted

Under FSW yes, but you can still apply if you get a job offer. Also look at NOC 1122 to see if you can qualify under that (if your IT experience is/was consultancy to management).

Ray
Nope, my profession does not fall in NOC 1122. So Canada is out for me unless rules change again in 6-12 months. :cry:

jay09

Post by jay09 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:27 am

Ray,

Thanks for the reply. I have already applied and will be sending out my documents to the london office in a month time. Fingers crossed, I would be among the 1000 to be approved under my NOC.

On a second though Ray, what if someone's experience cuts across 2 NOCs, and he/she has claimed points under them, how would the application be judged ie..... an engineer who has worked as a geological engineer and also as an environmental geologist.

Cheers

Jay

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:40 pm

adityak77 wrote:Nope, my profession does not fall in NOC 1122. So Canada is out for me unless rules change again in 6-12 months. :cry:
You can wait for that to happen. Given the current economic situation, I doubt changes in the near future would relax the rules. Likely make them tighter.

However, it really depends on how badly you want to go to Canada, there might be other options. Finding a job, Quebec route, another Provincial nomination, etc. Of course, all of them have their own rules and you would need to research. As I said, depends on how badly you want it. It may or may not be worth your while to research all of that.

Ray

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:46 pm

jay09 wrote:On a second though Ray, what if someone's experience cuts across 2 NOCs, and he/she has claimed points under them, how would the application be judged ie..... an engineer who has worked as a geological engineer and also as an environmental geologist.
Neither geological engineer nor environmental engineer occupations are on the list of eligible occupations, so the experience won't count for FSW.

I am assuming you are asking if a person got experience in 2 NOC's that are on the list of eligible occupations, how would CIC deal with that if one has reached the 1,000 applications (e.g. Chefs and Cooks).

That is an interesting question, to which I don't know the answer.

If I find out, will post it on the forum. And if you find the answer, please let us know.

Ray

simmsimm
Newly Registered

Post by simmsimm » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:23 pm

I noticed that the application fees for FSW has been taken out of my bank account about 12 days ago but I have not received any mail (letter) since. I applied from London. Is it physical mail I will receive or email or both.

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:30 pm

simmsimm wrote:I noticed that the application fees for FSW has been taken out of my bank account about 12 days ago but I have not received any mail (letter) since. I applied from London. Is it physical mail I will receive or email or both.
This is the third time you have asked the same question. Please do not post same question multiple times.

Ray

jay09

Post by jay09 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:16 am

Ray,

You are indeed a good immigration adviser. Well done for all your candid advice.

I noticed that the application fees for FSW has been taken out of my bank account about 12 days ago but I have not received any mail (letter) since. I applied from London. Is it physical mail I will receive or email or both.

[u][b]This is the third time you have asked the same question. Please do not post same question multiple times.

Ray

Ray, the answer to question asked by that gentleman/lady is that you could get a letter or email. As per my situation, I have only received an email.

Now to my earlier post regarding 2 NOC codes, at the time of my application , both geological engineer and geologist (environmental geologist inclusive) were among the 38 occupations, hence my reason to use them as examples.

I'm still researching to see if I can find an answer to that question, because clearly my experience cuts accross both profession, which infact to me are almost similar, depending on what title your employer choses.

Jay

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:57 pm

jay09 wrote:You are indeed a good immigration adviser. Well done for all your candid advice.
I am not an immigration adviser. Just providing answers where I know them.
jay09 wrote:Ray, the answer to question asked by that gentleman/lady is that you could get a letter or email. As per my situation, I have only received an email.
You will only get one or the other. If you got an email, you wont get one in the post.
jay09 wrote:Now to my earlier post regarding 2 NOC codes, at the time of my application , both geological engineer and geologist (environmental geologist inclusive) were among the 38 occupations, hence my reason to use them as examples.
If CIC received your application before June 26th you should be ok. If on or after that date, those occupations are not on the new list.

Ray