ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SAR applicable to Foreign Embassies in the UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Hunter007
Newly Registered

SAR applicable to Foreign Embassies in the UK?

Post by Hunter007 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:12 am

Hi Everyone :)
I'm looking into my absences from the UK during the past 10 years in order to assess whether i'll be eligible for ILR under the 10yr rule.

I'm due to complete my 10 years at the end of Aug 2010. My UK Visa history is Student Visa (6yrs) + WP (3yrs) + Tier4 Student (presently).

The thing is that in my very first student year 2000-01, I travelled to Holland on a University Exchange Program. I don't have any exit stamp from the UK nor any arrival stamp as I travelled by a cruise ferry. I have a re-entry stamp to the UK. Without the exit stamps when I left the UK, it seems that I was in Holland for more than 6 months, I need to find out what exit and entry dates the UK hold for me. For this I make a SAR at UKBA, right?
Ok, is it also possible to make a SAR to the Dutch embassy in London or another branch to find out what dates they have for me, incase I need to correct the info UKBA have on me? As far as I see the SAR is applicable to all organisations in the UK under the Data Protection Act, but would this include foreign emabssies as well?

Thanks !

foxy

Post by foxy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:04 am

This shouldn't be an issue. A lot of passports do not have exit stamps. I know mine didn't when I applied.

You could apply for your SAR at the UKBA. That should suffice in my opinion. If you really want to feel safe, then perhaps, see if you have an email travel confirmation? The other alternative is perhaps to look through your bank/credit-card statements and find purchases which would confirm the dates you were in and out of the UK.

Don't sweat it though. Just ask for the SAR and have a look.

Hunter007
Newly Registered

Post by Hunter007 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Thanks for your opinion Foxy :)
Just posted my SAR letter, now here's hoping that they dispatch the info swiftly. Will drop an update here in due course.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:30 pm

As far as I see the SAR is applicable to all organisations in the UK under the Data Protection Act, but would this include foreign emabssies as well?
I don't think it does. After all foreign embassies are not technically part of the UK.
John