ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New applicants need 5 more points to qualify from July 19th?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aruni4470
Diamond Member

New applicants need 5 more points to qualify from July 19th?

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:59 am

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio ... ation-wms/

Main points of the ministerial statement

1. 5400 only tier 1 (G) visas (out of country)
2. In-country applications not affected
3. Need another 5 points to qualify for Tier 1 (G)
4. These interim measures will take effect from 19th July

nasirraza_31

Post by nasirraza_31 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:05 am

Link not working.

Can you paste the content please.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:08 am

It is the government's aim to reduce levels of net migration back to the levels of the 1990s – tens of thousands, not hundreds of thousands – over the lifetime of this Parliament. The Coalition’s Programme for Government, published on 20 May 2010, confirmed the Government’s intention to introduce an annual limit on the number of non-EU economic migrants admitted into the UK to live and work. I am announcing today our first steps to implement that commitment.

The government plans to implement the first full annual limits for the financial year beginning in April 2011. In advance of that, we wish to enable the fullest consultation with business and other sectors which have a significant interest in the implementation of limits on non-EU economic migration.

I am today launching a consultation on the mechanisms for implementing limits. This includes questions about the coverage of limits as well as the mechanics of how they will work in practice. This consultation also recognises the need to attract more high net worth migrants to the UK through the routes for Investors and Entrepreneurs and asks for views on how that can be achieved. A supporting consultation document can be found on the UK Border Agency website.

At the same time, I have today commissioned the independent Migration Advisory Committee to provide advice to the Government on the levels at which limits should be set for the first full year of their operation, in order to achieve the Government’s objective to reduce net migration to the tens of thousands over the Parliamentary term. In doing so, I have asked the Committee to consider the social and public service impacts of migration as well as the economic impacts. I have asked the Committee to provide this advice to me by the end of September. The Committee intends to consult fully with business and other interested groups in developing its advice.

It is important to ensure that today’s announcement does not lead to a surge in applications during this interim period. This would lead to an increase in net migration in 2010 and therefore larger reductions in future years as well as impacting on the UK Border Agency’s operations and undermining its ability to meet its service standards. I am therefore also today announcing a number of interim measures and I have laid a Statement of Changes to the Immigration Rules in support of these measures.

Firstly, I am introducing an interim limit on the number of out of country main applicants to Tier 1 (General). This route will be held flat from the equivalent periods for 2009 and the limit will therefore be 5,400. The Tier 1 routes for Investors, Entrepreneurs and the Post-Study route are not affected. In-country applicants are also excluded from the interim limit. To ensure that those who do come are the brightest and the best, I am also raising the Tier 1 (General) pass mark by 5 points for all new applicants.

Secondly, I am introducing an interim limit on the number of migrants who can be offered jobs by sponsor employers through Tier 2. Intra-Company Transfers, Ministers of Religion and Elite Sportspeople are excluded from this limit. The number of migrants who can be offered jobs in this period will be reduced by 1,300 - the equivalent of a 5% reduction across the Tier 1 and 2 routes to be covered by interim limits – and the interim limit for the relevant routes of Tier 2 will therefore be 18,700. The UK Border Agency will be contacting sponsors with full information about the implementation of the interim limit.

These interim measures will take effect from 19 July.

The UK Border Agency (UKBA) is also undertaking a review, which commenced on 1 June, which will take forward the government’s commitment to end the detention of children for immigration purposes. It will run for six weeks and the UK Border Agency is currently engaging with a range of experts and organisations. The outcome of the review will be reported back to me.

The Secretary of State for the Home Department (Mrs Theresa May).

Date: Mon Jun 28 10:30:00 BST 2010

Source : http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk
Last edited by aruni4470 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

nasirraza_31

Post by nasirraza_31 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:13 am

Thanks Aruni!

Any idea if this effects the extensions as well?

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:16 am

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:16 am

nasirraza_31 wrote:Thanks Aruni!

Any idea if this effects the extensions as well?
'To ensure that those who do come are the brightest and the best, I am also raising the Tier 1 (General) pass mark by 5 points for all new applicants.'

Dont think so. But have to wait till get any clear guidelines.

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:19 am

This isnt working either..

tipu20

Post by tipu20 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:21 am

nasirraza_31

Post by nasirraza_31 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:22 am

nasirraza_31

Post by nasirraza_31 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:32 am

Wondering if this affects our extension?

In past whenever they changed the rules, it was always for the new applicants. Please post any information if you get for extensions.

I will go for my extension next year in june. Fingers crossed...
Last edited by nasirraza_31 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

*FC*
Member of Standing

Re: New applicants need 5 more points to qualify from July 1

Post by *FC* » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:34 am

aruni4470 wrote:http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio ... ation-wms/

Thanks for the update Aruni :)

Wonder why the link isn't working though. Anyways, thanks for pasting the content.

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:39 am

nasirraza_31 wrote:Wondering if this affects our extension?

In past whenever they changed the rules, it was always for the new applicants. Please post any information if you get for extensions.

I will go for my extension next year in june. Fingers crossed...
They say that in-country applications are not affected by the limit. I would be very surprised if the limit applied to the extension cases, ie those who are in the UK by definition.

nasirraza_31

Post by nasirraza_31 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:44 am

:roll: wait till any one says anything specific about it

silverTR
Norway

Post by silverTR » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:54 am

why do they need to change rules so often :shock:

dev106
BANNED

Post by dev106 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:13 pm

As per my understanding,

>>>> “The Tier 1 routes for Investors, Entrepreneurs and the Post-Study route are not affected. In-country applicants are also excluded from the interim limit. “Means that the in-country people are not affected.

>>>> “To ensure that those who do come are the brightest and the best “ does that properly mean people coming from outside???

>>>> “I am also raising the Tier 1 (General) pass mark by 5 points for all new applicants “  what does this new applicants mean, are they in-country or out-country??? Who is getting affected- in or out???

rizwan567
Diamond Member

Post by rizwan567 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:59 pm

I guess 5 points will be increased for both in country and out of country applicants because if they do not do it. They will have to publish separate set if forms and guidelines for in country and out country applicant. This will double their work which they would never do.

Cap wont be applied on in country applicants.

Extension applicants wont be affected at all. 5 Points wont be raised for them. It is just the new applicants who would need to score 5 addtional points.

Just my view and analysis which could be wrong.

beatallica

Post by beatallica » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:42 pm

This means that, for example, students already in UK or people on Tier 2 switching to Tier 1 will not be affected by this quota? Please correct me if I am wrong.

adityak77
Member of Standing

Post by adityak77 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:04 pm

beatallica wrote:

This means that, for example, students already in UK or people on Tier 2 switching to Tier 1 will not be affected by this quota? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, students already in UK wont be impacted.
And now I see a big rush of 100's to 1000's rushing to VAC for filing their visa(s) before the July 19th interim change.

rohitktm

Post by rohitktm » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:39 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/politics/10438377.stm

as she says, it is still under process.