ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registration of children born abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

yahooyeh
Newly Registered

Registration of children born abroad

Post by yahooyeh » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi,

First of all thank you guys who helped us in passing through different stages of immigration stages through initial HSMP application, HSMP extension and finally to ILR. I recently got ILR at CROYDON PEO along with 3 dependants (spouse+ 1 daughter + 1 son).

My concern at the moment is can I register my children 3 and 7 years old for British Citizenship? Just to clarify neither my spouse nor I have got BC yet but as mentioned above we all have got ILR recently (less than a month ago)

I have gone through a number of threads and UKBA website but couldn't find any answer to my situation, I believe it's not a unique one a lot of people have gone through this process.

Cheers

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:37 am

You can register now any of your children who were born in the UK. Use the MN form

yahooyeh
Newly Registered

Post by yahooyeh » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:57 am

Backer wrote:You can register now any of your children who were born in the UK. Use the MN form
Thanks for your reply, but my children were born abroad (not in UK). Wondering I could still register them by using MN or any other form?

Cheers

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:41 am

Don't think you can right now. Why not wait until you or wife qualify for naturlisation?

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:07 am

yahooyeh wrote:
Backer wrote:You can register now any of your children who were born in the UK. Use the MN form
Thanks for your reply, but my children were born abroad (not in UK). Wondering I could still register them by using MN or any other form?

Cheers
No, you cannot register children born outside UK as BC after you are settled. You can only make their application along with your naturalization application.

yahooyeh
Newly Registered

Post by yahooyeh » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 pm

HSMP2008_JANUARY wrote:
yahooyeh wrote:

Cheers
No, you cannot register children born outside UK as BC after you are settled. You can only make their application along with your naturalization application.
Thanks for your replies.
That’s not bad either if I can include children at the time of my BC applications, I have few questions though:-

1. Can I include my spouse as well? She will be 10 months short of 5 years of staying in the UK at that time.

2. Is there any time limit for children to include them in the application? similarly, they will be 10 months short of 5 years...

3. Will there be separate fee for children/spouse.

Would be great if some1 can help in understanding these questions.

Cheers,

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 pm

Can I include my spouse as well? She will be 10 months short of 5 years of staying in the UK at that time.

No. Adult applications stand on their own merit. I think there is also a possibility that after you are naturalized she can apply as a spouce of a British citizen so if she takes that route it might be faster than waiting the 10 or so months.

2. Is there any time limit for children to include them in the application? similarly, they will be 10 months short of 5 years...

Children under 19 Assuming they have ILR) don't need 5 years. I think the requirment might be 3 or even less.

3. Will there be separate fee for children/spouse.

Again, each adult application is independent but there is a joint family (husband and wife) application which is cheaper which is not relevant for you unless you will wait when your wife qualifies.
Children are a seperate fee but all children go onder the same fee I think

Would be great if some1 can help in understanding these questions.

diago_nelson

Post by diago_nelson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:04 pm

See this post for a important tip from John, on pt.1
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=59061

yahooyeh
Newly Registered

Post by yahooyeh » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:53 pm

diago_nelson wrote:See this post for a important tip from John, on pt.1
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=59061
Thanks Backer and diago_nelson (and John, indeed!) for the clarification.

Cheers

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:07 am