ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR and leave the UK asap for job outside

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

basis

ILR and leave the UK asap for job outside

Post by basis » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:12 am

I am asking this for one of my colleague. He has got ILR last week (what a relief considering the changes being introduced).

However, he must go immediately out of the UK to work and live.

IMHO - Since he has two years period to return he should be ok. any thoughts.

His naturalisation would be delayed.

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:26 pm

Yes - I have been in this situation.

The only effect is that your naturalisation clock gets set back and to facilitate return it is good to have some demonstration of ties to the UK like owning property, filing taxes etc. should circumstances demand he spends a bit more than 2 years.

Otherwise it's not a problem.

basis

Post by basis » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:52 pm

Thanks lemess for confirming. He cannot at the moment at least 'continue to maintain ties' with the UK. but then he is sure he will be back in one year maximum. And understands the effect on naturalisation timeline.

We have also discussed possibility to come back in nine months so then within one year of his return he should be qualified for naturalisation. hopefully naturalisation rules remain the same till then :? Let's see.

Anyway when govt changes the rules we all feel betrayed. When your circumstances force you to do things like this that delays your naturalisation / ILR what can one do ?

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:05 pm

I'm afraid in these cases there have to be some very basic rules which we all have to abide by as it simply isn't possible to have an efficient system that would be applicable to the wide variety of situations that apply to various people. So if naturalisation is important to you, you have to forego opportunities abroad or do so with the full recognition of what you are giving up.

I don't think of naturalisation as a right. it is a privilege which has to be earnt by meeting some ( sometimes admittedly weird ) criteria but the best thing is just do whatever it takes if it is important to you.

Like I said I have been in this situation and I made the decision that career opportunties were more important than being a naturalised citizen and that set my clock back 5 years. I don't regret that decision personally.