ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa - finance and debts!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lizziet

Spouse visa - finance and debts!

Post by lizziet » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi there
My fiance and I have decided to get married in his country in a few weeks and the apply for a spouse visa (I'm British). I've been on here several times asking various questions and getting together what we need for the application - thanks for all the help so far! The problem is I'm really worried about the finance side of things. I'll try to break it down so it's easier to read. The 2 main problems are:
1. I have a good salary (take home £2400) but lots of outgoings and an ongoing authorised overdraft of £1600 which means the account has until this month been constantly in debit. I've cleared the overdraft this month using savings and still have £2500 left in savings. Also, my essential outgoings (mortgage, council tax, utility bills and loan/credit card payments) come to around £1500 which still leaves nearly £1000 per month for living expenses, although until this month it was all spent by the end of the month :oops:.
I have 3 credit cards and one loan which I make payments for every month. Will this financial situation make our application more likely to be refused? Should I only submit 3 months statements as the last 2 will look a bit better? I will incude a summary of my budget, payslips, P60s etc.
2. My fiance had £3000 in a UK savings account but he took them out this month as he had to return to his country. We have his last statements but the money is now in cash. I've told him he needs to put it in the bank there (despite the awful exchange rate) but will that be OK?
I would be so grateful if anyone can give me their opinion.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:03 pm

The financial test is that the visa applicant will not need to claim certain Public Funds. He was visiting you, and obviously not working, and during that time that he was in the UK was there any need for Public Funds to be claimed? No there was not!

So why would the financial situation be worse if the spouse visa is granted? In fact the opposite would be true, given that he would be allowed to work. So I suspect you are worrying unnecessarily.

Your fiancé, does he possess qualifications or particular skills? What sort of work will he be hoping to get when he is here on a spouse visa?
John

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:29 pm

Thanks for your reply John. He wasn't living with me here - he was on a student visa but he was refused an extension. So in theory I need to show I have extra to support him.
We are also submitting a letter, offering him employment when he comes back, from his previous employer (he was working 20 hours a week).

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:53 am

Can anyone help? I'm really worried! Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:45 am

The letter offering employment will strengthen the financial side of your application. You need to show that after paying rent or mortgage, council tax and any loan repayments you have a minimum of £105 per week remaining.
As an extension of your fiance's student visa was refused it would be wise to submit strong evidence of your relationship as the ECO will look for evidence that the marriage isn't just a means of obtaining a visa to return to the UK.
You also need adequate accomodation.

bbbb
BANNED

Post by bbbb » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi

In my view,The money is not a big issue in ur case. it won t be a good idea to mention ur fiance's saving cos as a student working 20h/w I find hard to save 3000pounds (specially when u were not leaving together).

Don t worry now , do it when u will be married.

lizziet

Post by lizziet » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Thank you all for helping. I'm still quite worried about finance side but we are going ahead anyway...

tcpip_helper
United Kingdom

Post by tcpip_helper » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:24 pm

in my opinion please dont show home office that you are in debt and you have loans etc only show the relevant documents, you should provide atleast 3 months bank statement and should have a good balance for the majority of the period.

majority of the people in UK have debts, loans etc and everyone knows it so when you apply just dont specifically mention your debts to make your application worse.

good luck

dman2000
Newly Registered

Post by dman2000 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:03 am

hi all

i wonder if u could help me also!

my fiance in the philipines is coming to uk but we need to apply after i proved 6 months of finacial support.... i want to ask if 700 or 800 pounds is enough to support her?? i only pay electic and and im left with 300 or 200 pounds every month

and my flat is one room with a small Spam and shower room,... dont get me wrong its not small its a big room for her to be accomdated in...

i would love ur opionon on this

please help!

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:00 am

Don't you pay rent?
You'll need to show that after rent, council tax and any loan repayments, you have a minimum of £102.95 a week remaining.

dman2000
Newly Registered

Post by dman2000 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:25 pm

yes i pay rent i pay 290 a week and 65 for council tax and a 100 for food ... well it be a 100 for me and her when she is here.....so i would have 100 plus every week coz i earn good tips at the restaurant i work at...

i have no debt what so ever

is this enough??

Thank you so much for replying and helping out my situation!

I would be more grateful if you reply to my post!

Thank you for your time

Kind Regards

Dominic Booth

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:23 pm

Do you mean £295 per month?
The ECO won't count tips unfortunately. After rent, council tax and any credit repayments, (without counting the tips), how much do you have left each week? You don't need to count food or any other personal spending.

dman2000
Newly Registered

Post by dman2000 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:27 pm

yes a month!

i would have 300 left with tips on top of that would make it 350....

all i pay is council ta , rent a month and electricity and food

so everything will spent on supporting her in my flat and not debts coz i dont have any......... do you think that would be more proof of support if all my money goes to supporting her when shes here? coz not one pound would go to anything esle...

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:32 pm

OK. Let's work it out this way. Forget the tips for now. How much do you earn every week after tax and National Insurance have been taken off?

dman2000
Newly Registered

Post by dman2000 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:29 pm

im left with 200 on a quiet month like october because its traditionally queit but i could be left with 250 or 300..... every month..

but that would be the amount left if she lived with me but i have more by my self i think maybe 350...

and thank you again for replying your a great help!

is this enough??

the money i spend would be on her nothing else....

Thank you for your time

Kind Regards

Dominic Booth