ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confused...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

CrazyBones
Newly Registered

Confused...

Post by CrazyBones » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:31 pm

Hello

I don't know if I'm posting in the right place so apologies in advance.

Basically, my boyfriend who I've been living with for 3 years, moved to the UK with his family 9/10 years ago from Zimbabwe. At the time, my boyfriend was 15, and was on his mothers passport with two of his other brothers, who at the time, were 13 and 11 and their younger brother was on their fathers passport. They were granted Indefinate Leave to Remain in UK sometime after and so far no problems until very recently.

My boyfriends brother is wanting a job, has applied and been given a job depending on his visa. He told his employers he had a letter from Home Office to say hes allowed to work, however, this is a letter to their dad which says they have Right of Obode. His employer isn't accepting this as valid proof because the letter is in their dads name.

The ILR visa is on their mothers old Zimbabwean passport, since then, their mother, father and youngest brother have become British Citizens. Of course with the passport being their mothers Zimbabwean one, which has expired, most places are not accepting this as ID (Which I don't blame them) but just wondering what my boyfriend and brothers should do in regards to proving they are allowed to work in the UK? My boyfriend is currently working and this was never brought up before, so at the moment worrying over if he is actually allowed to?

My boyfriends brother has been in touch with the Home Office, and asked a few months ago if he can have a letter to say he is allowed to work in the UK, however, when he called them yesterday, they said its an odd request and will take a lot longer than 3 months.

When they first came to the country, they were here under a Ancestry Descent Visa. Also, me and my boyfriend have a child (18 months) who was born in the UK (I'm British)

If anyone can help and advise what they should do I'd be most grateful.

Many thanks

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:38 pm

Why doesn't he apply for his British citizenship? It sounds like he's eligible and still has his mother's old passport as proof that he has residency. It would be quicker and easier than the alternative which is getting a Zimbawean passport and applying to get the ILR stamp transferred.

CrazyBones
Newly Registered

Post by CrazyBones » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:43 pm

Thanks for a quick reply.

I have told them all to apply for their BC asap, back when their parents did it as it was much cheaper then as it is now, but at the moment its with the Home Office from when my BF's brother wrote to them asking for his own letter to say he can work & looks like they're holding it for a while.

I know the brothers won't be able to afford it as one is waiting for a job, the other has recently lost his job and then of course, when he looks for one this will probably arise again.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:54 pm

Unfortunately all options are going to be expensive. Even a simple ILR transfer.

BC is a worthy investment and they will soon recover the money as gaining a job will be easier than it is for them now. It's either struggle financially whilst applying for BC or face long term unemployment IF they don't get a satisfactory letter from UKBA.

Hope it all works out for this best.

CrazyBones
Newly Registered

Post by CrazyBones » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:03 pm

Thank you.

I shall tell them all to apply for it now, my boyfriend will be able to apply for BC as we can afford it (just!), but the other two will have to try and find their own ways of doing it. They're 21 and 23 and still live with their parents so they have no financial worries at the moment, they just want a job and move out. Its just smacking their heads together so they wake up & face reality I think!