ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

'Illegal' marriages at embassies in Dublin - Any outcomes??

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

walkindublin
Newly Registered

'Illegal' marriages at embassies in Dublin - Any outcomes??

Post by walkindublin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi Lads,
Has anyone get the latest outcome or inside story about it?

The answer I got back from our embassy was that they requested to the Irish government on this issue, but no reply yet.

Is the government really looking into to find a solution?

How many people are stuck now?

Irish Times @ 10/Mar/10 ->http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/fro ... 80974.html

walkindublin
Newly Registered

Post by walkindublin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:06 pm

No one has a clue?

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:59 am

Please delete this post (accidentally hit "quote" instead of "edit")
Last edited by ca.funke on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:09 pm

Actually this is really interesting.
irishtimes.com wrote:Under international rules, ceremonies deemed illegal in the country they are performed cannot be recognised in the home state, said one diplomat.
I always thought that, when in an embassy, you are (legally) in the country of the embassy.

Thus, marrying in the Polish (or any other) embassy should be the same as getting married in Poland (or any other respective country)?

As a marriage endorsed by any EU memberstate must be deemed legal throughout the Union, I really do not see any possibility for the Irish government to uphold their position.

Fortunately for the affected couples, this affects the sovereignty of the mentioned states (and not "just" their individual cases), as such I hope there will be a solution some time soon.

The Irish state is - again illegally - trying to get rid of unwanted (=not illegal) immigrants. This brushes obviously legitimate couples over an "illegal" brush (why should two Polish people enter a "sham" marriage?), which increases the affected numbers and calls for a swift resolution.

Does Ireland want to be in the EU, or not?

Regards from (non-EU) Switzerland :)

Christian