ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

You are all missing the point here!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jimstark
Newly Registered

You are all missing the point here!

Post by jimstark » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:46 pm

All,

Regardless of the recent changes, additional points, cap limit, etc., the problem is that everyone that earned Tier-1 since Apr/10 will have to renew it by Apr/2012 and by that time he/she will need to be making GBP 50K (w/ Master's) or GBP 55K (w/o Masters) on the year prior.
I can tell from my experience in the UK (I lived there from 2007 until the recession of 2009) that that's almost impossible. It's extremelly hard to get a 40K gig nowadays. Don't get fooled by jobserve, monster.co.uk, as few of those jobs are real. Just get a Skype number in the UK forwarded to your country and see if you receive any calls!
Probably less than 10% of the successful applicants that are getting the Tier-1 in their home countries (with the boost of the multiplier) will be able to renew it within 2 years in the UK.
I don't want to rain in your parade, but everyone just focuses on getting the first Tier-1 and that does not mean anything in the big picture!
IUK is one of the countries most affected by this recession and it will take years to recover.

[iD]

Re: You are all missing the point here!

Post by [iD] » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:21 am

jimstark wrote:All,

Regardless of the recent changes, additional points, cap limit, etc., the problem is that everyone that earned Tier-1 since Apr/10 will have to renew it by Apr/2012 and by that time he/she will need to be making GBP 50K (w/ Master's) or GBP 55K (w/o Masters) on the year prior.
I can tell from my experience in the UK (I lived there from 2007 until the recession of 2009) that that's almost impossible. It's extremelly hard to get a 40K gig nowadays. Don't get fooled by jobserve, monster.co.uk, as few of those jobs are real. Just get a Skype number in the UK forwarded to your country and see if you receive any calls!
Probably less than 10% of the successful applicants that are getting the Tier-1 in their home countries (with the boost of the multiplier) will be able to renew it within 2 years in the UK.
I don't want to rain in your parade, but everyone just focuses on getting the first Tier-1 and that does not mean anything in the big picture!
IUK is one of the countries most affected by this recession and it will take years to recover.
Not entirely correct.
Under 32 years of age: 20 points
Master’s degree: 35 points
£30,000-£34,999: 15 points
UK experience: 05 points
English Language: 10 points
Maintenance funds: 10 points
======================
TOTAL: 100 points

Even with the new rules in place (as it stands now) nothing would be changed for migrants extending their Tier 1 Read Below or here
Now, if someone can't earn 30K+ then in my opinion they do not have a right to be here on "Highly Skilled Visa"
Hope you get the point now

Code: Select all

You will be excluded from the limit if you are already in the UK under Tier 1 (General) and you apply for an extension, or if you are already in the UK under another immigration category and you switch into Tier 1 (General).
If you are in the UK in one of the following categories and are applying to extend your stay in Tier 1 (General), you will need to score 95 points:
Tier 1 (General)
Highly Skilled Migrant Programme
Writers, Composers and Artists
Self-Employed Lawyers
Goodluck.

Tina315
Newly Registered

Post by Tina315 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:41 am

[iD] wrote:

Not entirely correct.
Under 32 years of age: 20 points
Master’s degree: 35 points
£30,000-£34,999: 15 points
UK experience: 05 points
English Language: 10 points
Maintenance funds: 10 points
======================
TOTAL: 100 points

Even with the new rules in place (as it stands now) nothing would be changed for migrants extending their Tier 1 Read Below or here
Now, if someone can't earn 30K+ then in my opinion they do not have a right to be here on "Highly Skilled Visa"
Hope you get the point now

Code: Select all

You will be excluded from the limit if you are already in the UK under Tier 1 (General) and you apply for an extension, or if you are already in the UK under another immigration category and you switch into Tier 1 (General).
If you are in the UK in one of the following categories and are applying to extend your stay in Tier 1 (General), you will need to score 95 points:
Tier 1 (General)
Highly Skilled Migrant Programme
Writers, Composers and Artists
Self-Employed Lawyers
i am sorry i don't understand where you are getting Age - 20 points for under 32, i thought it was 10 points??

[iD]

Post by [iD] » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:57 am

Tina315 wrote:
i am sorry i don't understand where you are getting Age - 20 points for under 32, i thought it was 10 points??
for extension applications where the applicants initial period of leave was granted under the Rules in place after 5 April 2010

you get 20 points if you're under 32 (i-e if you apply before your 32nd birthday)
32 to 36 years of age: 10 points
37 to 41 years of age: 5 points
Goodluck.

Tina315
Newly Registered

Post by Tina315 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:58 am

[iD] wrote:
Tina315 wrote:
for extension applications where the applicants initial period of leave was granted under the Rules in place after 5 April 2010

you get 20 points if you're under 32 (i-e if you apply before your 32nd birthday)
32 to 36 years of age: 10 points
37 to 41 years of age: 5 points
I see ...Thanks!!!!

adityak77
Member of Standing

Post by adityak77 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:48 am

that was spot on! I had started a similar thread a few weeks back! Its more difficult to get a 40k job, forget about 50-55k unless you do 2 jobs.
Im struggling to get something for 35k too with 10+ years of exp.
I might just drop the idea of tier -1 extension in 2012 and migrate to some other place.

I am no one to advice anyone, but All I would say is come here for the LIFE and not the MONEY, as there isn't.

:wink:

edge_
Newly Registered

Post by edge_ » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:11 am

aditya can u tell me what kind of job you are applying for?

ukswus

Post by ukswus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:50 am

adityak77 wrote:

that was spot on! I had started a similar thread a few weeks back! Its more difficult to get a 40k job, forget about 50-55k unless you do 2 jobs.
Im struggling to get something for 35k too with 10+ years of exp.
I might just drop the idea of tier -1 extension in 2012 and migrate to some other place.

I am no one to advice anyone, but All I would say is come here for the LIFE and not the MONEY, as there isn't.

:wink:
I am not sure if the hateful propaganda about how bad the immigrants are for the UK, spewed by the mainstream media, exactly contributes to a high quality of life here...

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:09 am

My friend who has 7 years experience in the Java / J2EE domain travelled to the UK last month, 16 months since obtaining his Tier 1 visa.

He joined the Indian establishment of an American company which has offices in many countries, and they promised to send him on an assignment to the UK on the Tier 1 visa which he already had.

But when time of travel came, the travel folk, goofed up saying he can't travel because he hasn't activated his visa by travelling into the country, earlier etc, and hence would be denied entry into the country if he travelled now. (which clearly wasn't the case) There is also another rule that they can't process Tier 2 for him because he hasn't yet completed 12 months with the company.

His manager, is a good man, and to keep his promise, worked out a deal with the UK manager to directly recruit him into the London establishment. So he quit his job in India and flew into London.

All this while salary etc, wasn't discussed, he was just given a name to meet in the London office.

Finally he got there and and had the meeting, when asked what his expectations were he quoted 60k.

They closed the deal at 55k. Again, he is now being considered for a entirely different project in a different location within the UK, and NOT for the original requirement they had wanted him to travel for. So it was not like they had a burning position open and filled it up.

Although, my friend's case here was different, my point is, though some of them out here have 10+ yrs and are finding it difficult to land a 40K job, there are others out there who have that kind of experience and still landing good jobs.

So it is competitive but it's not that it's not possible.

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:07 am

LearningCurve wrote:My friend who has 7 years experience in the Java / J2EE domain travelled to the UK last month, 16 months since obtaining his Tier 1 visa.

He joined the Indian establishment of an American company which has offices in many countries, and they promised to send him on an assignment to the UK on the Tier 1 visa which he already had.

But when time of travel came, the travel folk, goofed up saying he can't travel because he hasn't activated his visa by travelling into the country, earlier etc, and hence would be denied entry into the country if he travelled now. (which clearly wasn't the case) There is also another rule that they can't process Tier 2 for him because he hasn't yet completed 12 months with the company.

His manager, is a good man, and to keep his promise, worked out a deal with the UK manager to directly recruit him into the London establishment. So he quit his job in India and flew into London.

All this while salary etc, wasn't discussed, he was just given a name to meet in the London office.

Finally he got there and and had the meeting, when asked what his expectations were he quoted 60k.

They closed the deal at 55k. Again, he is now being considered for a entirely different project in a different location within the UK, and NOT for the original requirement they had wanted him to travel for. So it was not like they had a burning position open and filled it up.

Although, my friend's case here was different, my point is, though some of them out here have 10+ yrs and are finding it difficult to land a 40K job, there are others out there who have that kind of experience and still landing good jobs.

So it is competitive but it's not that it's not possible.

Accepted... Seems people are more worried about others than they worry for themselves 8).