ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport Rqd travelling to Channel Islands from GB?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Passport Rqd travelling to Channel Islands from GB?

Post by kiwigirl25 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi

I'm a bit confused. I need to travel to the Channel Islands and am trying to ascertain if I, as a non-EU citizen, need a passport if I am travelling from mainland UK. Some sites say no, others say yes. I can't find a definite answer.

I'm in the process of apply for my ILR needless to say UKBA currently have my passport. Hence the reason I'm asking this question, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue, passport or not.

If someone could help with a definite answer that would be grand.

Markie

Re: Passport Rqd travelling to Channel Islands from GB?

Post by Markie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:47 pm

Jersey and Guernsey websites quoted:

Provided that you are lawfully in the UK and will be travelling within the validity of your immigration permission, you will not require a separate visa to travel to Jersey.

As there are no immigration controls between Jersey and the UK, you will not be required to present yourself to an immigration officer on arrival in the Island.

However, due to increased security measures at British ports of entry, we would advise all members of the travelling public to carry a form of photographic ID. If you do not have such documents, it would be wise for you to carry a letter from the Home Office confirming your residential status in the UK.

kiwigirl25 wrote:Hi

I'm a bit confused. I need to travel to the Channel Islands and am trying to ascertain if I, as a non-EU citizen, need a passport if I am travelling from mainland UK. Some sites say no, others say yes. I can't find a definite answer.

I'm in the process of apply for my ILR needless to say UKBA currently have my passport. Hence the reason I'm asking this question, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue, passport or not.

If someone could help with a definite answer that would be grand.

Blackwater1

Post by Blackwater1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:41 pm

No need but you can always keep it if asked.I studied in isle of man and never carried with me when I use to travel to liverpool,london etc.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:04 pm

If you're flying, the airline will require some form of photographic i/d - a UK photolicence suffices.
I've no idea whether the ferry companies require anything, I haven't travelled there by sea for years (except on my own boat).