ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

German EC Permanent Residency Card - Student

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

TorrentialRX
Newly Registered

German EC Permanent Residency Card - Student

Post by TorrentialRX » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:45 pm

Im a student from the US, and ive been living in Paris for around 2 years now, i plan on moving to Germany, and i know after every year im allowed to apply for a Residency card

I also read online that after having lived in Germany for 5 years i am eligible for an EC permanent residency card, ive read about 15 different websites, and even official ones by the government and the city of Berlin,.... im just wondering if anyone knows if i stay under the status of "student" for all of the 5 years while in Germany will i be eligible for the EC permanent residency card?

because as far as i can tell, each website just says that i have to be 'legal' in the country for the duration of the 5 years, it dosent specifially say under what conditions i have to be legal

thanks SO SO much in advance for any advice or information anyone has

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:23 pm

I don't think studying is a route to PR in Germany. Also Germany doesn't allolw dual citzenship so if u naturaise there u'll lose ur US citizenship
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

TorrentialRX
Newly Registered

Post by TorrentialRX » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:11 pm

no, no, citizenship ship isnt what im after so i dont have to worry about being dual , most websites only talk about citizenship/being a student as not being valid

thats why im asking about just being a permenant resident, and if it can be acquired just by being a student

the road to being a citizen is always much more difficult than resident, so im taking the easy way

lifeart

Post by lifeart » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:53 pm

The definitive answer can be had at http://www.info4alien.de (in German)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:22 pm

Dunno if it's true but my German colleague says it's not possible since the 5 yr PR/8 year Citizenship has to be with no social support, and the German Education fees are heavily subsidised - and count as social fund.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

lifeart

Post by lifeart » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Actually, times that one has resided in Germany on a student authorization as a third country national count only for 1/2 the time that is counted towards PR. So, if you have resided in Germany for 5 years on a residence permit for STUDENTS, then that would count only for 2 1/2 years towards PR (and you are lucky here to get any "credit" at all for PR as in other places none is given).
The above, of course, is applicable only to third country nationals

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:15 pm

lifeart wrote:Actually, times that one has resided in Germany on a student authorization as a third country national count only for 1/2 the time that is counted towards PR. So, if you have resided in Germany for 5 years on a residence permit for STUDENTS, then that would count only for 2 1/2 years towards PR (and you are lucky here to get any "credit" at all for PR as in other places none is given).
The above, of course, is applicable only to third country nationals
Looking through some webpages it also appears that when applying one must hold a residence title that is not only of temporary nature, that is it is not possible to directly switch to a long term residence permit.

lifeart

Post by lifeart » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:21 pm

you are right: at the time of application for PR you must have at least a temporary residence permit that is either the result of family reunification or an approved work-permit