ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IT Jobs in UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cl
Newly Registered

Post by cl » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:12 pm

Hey Guys,
Thanx for taking the time out to answer ppl's queries over here.

I am in a similar situation to Mr.spsahu82 but am on the lookout for jobs in the I.T. industry in the U.K. I am basically a Senior Java Developer with 6.5 yrs of Exp. and am on the lookout for a similar position in the UK.

Can you let me know what the market is like out there for a person with my exp. and skill set?

I have been trying to approach consultancies in the UK via email n phone but most don't reply and few that do ask when I will be in the UK?

So I am planning to chuck my job here and go over there...Any suggestions? Are there any forums with guys in a similar position of can help me out in this regards. Any help will be much appreciated !!

If this is not the right forum to discuss this then can you please point me to the right forum.

Thank you for your time!
C.L.

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Dear CL,

This is one question to which you will find many different answers in this forum.

To summarise, the most ideal situation would be,

Option 1 - To obtain a job from your home country and then enter the UK.

- But for this to happen, you need to be and well connected. Have friends, known people working in the same domain in the UK, talk to them about openings and through them apply for positions. You could also find a company in your home country, tell them you have a Tier 1 visa and is interested in UK positions and have them recruit you and send you.

Now if you say talking to consultants is not helping, first the few genuine consultants who are trying to cater to company needs, need to submit a resume quick as soon as the requirement is open, before another consultant can submit profiles. So they would prefer local candidates and so would the companies as it makes it easier to meet the candidate for f2f interviews. When the skill-set is niche and is difficult for them to find local talent is when you get the occasional call for a telephonic round. But yes, it is a big plus to be local to get better number of interview calls.

Option 2 - Quit, come to the UK and find a job.

Now if you don't have friends in the UK, be ready to find your own accommodation, spend for your travel, food etc before you get a job. This is going to cost you. Be prepared to keep an average of 4 to 8 months to land a job. If you land a job in the 1st or 2nd month, be glad, else don't lose heart, stay persistent, but be prepared. I have a friend who took 8 months to land a job, another took 4.

So if you have savings to hold you up in the UK for the next 7 to 8 months, you could go ahead and do this.

Few important points to speed up job search,

1. Being as good as you claim to be.
2. A good resume.
3. Decent communication skills (which is to be able to understand their questions and answer them back in such a way they understand what you speak)

Best Luck,
LC.

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:15 pm

and in addition to answer your question spsahu82, no you shouldn't have a problem entering the UK, here's an experience of my friend,

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... ht=#382617

pkumar
Member of Standing

Post by pkumar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:24 pm

I have 10 years IT and 4 certifications ..... use to get 1-2 calls every week ... have stopped since last 4 weeks ... market is still unstable and is looking down-hill .... check stock and read market prediction ...

Again, if you have special skills then there is good chance.

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:53 am

Ah, hmm.

@pkumar - Which domain / skillset do you possess maite ?

This information would be useful for others in the job hunt.

cl
Newly Registered

Post by cl » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:24 am

Dear LearningCurve,
First of all thank you for your very informative post.
Option 1 : Yes, I most definitely agree that this is 'THE' best option. And let me tell you I have been at it for a year now (I got my Tier1 this time last year) but haven't made much headway. I do not have many connections in the field in the UK but I had made a 3 week trip last year for a 'recce' of the situation, if you will. Unfortunately this was during the Xmas break (thats the only time my current comp. gave me a break of 3 weeks !!). But since most of everybody in the UK was off at that time, I just got to speak to few consultants who didnt offer much. But I did leave my details with them.

Recently I received a few emails from these job consultants with profiles matching my skill set. I did apply for them but did not get any response. But I thought 'Hey maybe the market is improving..'
Hence we come to Option No : 2
I do have a relative with whom I can bunk with for a short time so a major part of my problems can be avoided. But I was hoping for a trying to land a job in 2-3 months...

But for option 2 I would at least want to safe in the knowledge that I am coming into a decent job market with a good chance of landing a job with my skill set.

Any contacts/helpful links/hints would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot !!
C.L.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:14 pm

I have moved it to the Employment offers and Job Seekers forum - more appropriate for the discussions above
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:47 pm

This is precisely the reason why the below mentioned thread was started (alas no replies!

http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=58518

in the hope that each one looking out for a job could list out what was their approach towards the job market, how they progressed and the end result. It would really help each other in assessing the job market. It would be my view that collective experience available at a thread could avoid multiple questions regarding the state of the market (as it is subjective and no definitive answer is available).

Shepherd