ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Turkish National no recourse to public funds

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

emeler
Newly Registered

Turkish National no recourse to public funds

Post by emeler » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:26 pm

This is from the Inland Revenue website on the subject of public funds-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/taxcredits/start ... trol.htm#4

You come from a country that has a special agreement with the EC
There are some countries that have a special agreement with the EC, which guarantees equal social security treatment for workers who are nationals of that country and their families. This means you may still be able to get tax credits if you are a national of one of these countries.
The countries are:
Algeria Croatia the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia Morocco San Marino Tunisia Turkey

my question is do these refer to those who are here on a settlement visa or just workers here under the EU Association Agreements?
M husband is Turkish and is claiming Tax credits and has been for 2 years while on a settlement visa we have just had his visa extended with no problem,i'm claiming child tax credit aswell as council tax benefit and housing benefit
but could it affect his application for ilr?
many thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:34 pm

And your nationality is? And if not British or EEA, what is your UK immigration status?
John

emeler
Newly Registered

Post by emeler » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:11 pm

sorry didnt clarify im a british citizen

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks. That being the case, please read the first pinned topic in this Claiming Benefits section of this board, where for the technical reasons stated therein, the Tax Credits claim is not a problem.

Just to clarify, you say your husband is claiming tax credits, and so are you. I presume you mean that the two of you have made a joint claim?
John

emeler
Newly Registered

Post by emeler » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:10 pm

yes its a joint claim but i wasnt sure as my husband is the one who is working so claiming the tax credits...where as i'm claiming the child tax credit but again jointly
The reason i was unsure is someone posted on another site the following ...

The key to these public funds is this sentence " which guarantees equal social security treatment for workers " These public funds do not refer to those on a settlement visas but those here under the EU Association Agreements , which guarantees equal social security treatment for workers who are nationals of that country and their families. Those on settlement visas are not allowed to claim public funds.

many thanks em

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:28 pm

Actually as regards Tax Credits, your husband's nationality and the agreement you mention are irrelevant, That is the same conclusion would be reached as regards Tax Credit whatever his nationality.
John

misswilliams
Newly Registered

Post by misswilliams » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:23 pm

Emeler, please don't worry about your husband claiming tax credits while on a settlement visa, they're entitled to it, depending of course on their income.

In reply to what you quoted from another forum, that doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Any Turkish national on a settlement visa is entitled to tax credits if circumstances require. Turkey is actually part of the EC agreement!

Hope that's put your mind at rest.

misswilliams
Newly Registered

Post by misswilliams » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:26 pm

John, sorry, but I've just noticed that my post must have had a delay and crossed with yours. :oops:

I've simply repeated what you stated - Emeler's husband is entitled to tax credits.

emeler
Newly Registered

Post by emeler » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:04 pm

Thank you both for replying so quickly and for putting my mind at ease