ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

passport expiring, visa to be stamped

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hmm

passport expiring, visa to be stamped

Post by hmm » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:47 pm

Would ECO issue the visa when the passport is valid less than 6 months?
The current passport expiring in January 2011. Applied for a settlement visa 10 months ago, refused and gone to appeal, so the long delay. The passport will be less than less months valid when ECO ready to stamp the visa.
Is there are any requirement on how long you've left on your passport for a settlement visa to be stamped?

Applying for a new passport is out of question as the applicant doesn't live in his own country and cannot apply for a new passport from where he is. Inquire about it already.
The easiest is to come to UK then apply for new passport from here. After all it is going to be a settlement visa so I don't see why the passport has to be valid for so long.
Has any body experience similar problem?
know the answer to it?

Please advise. If you don't know for sure please reply with your opinion.

Many thanks.

NT1234

Post by NT1234 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:00 pm

i have heard of a case where the passport expires a year after settlement visa was granted and the person had to apply for a new passport once this expires..sadly the HO charge a fee of over £600 to have the stamp put bck into the new passport . It may be the case that the visa is stamped in your passport but when this is renew you have to pay for the stamp again. In fact my cousin had her settlement visa in her passport when it had 3 years yet to expired. When she atempted to renew her passport and get the ILR stamp in it it was going to costs her a fortune so she waited and apply for her citizen. If they did stamp the ILR in the passport this is the problem you will encounter though this is over years years ago btu might change since then...it may be better to renew the passport before this is done though thee eco may need at least 6 months valid passport to stamp the ILR which will be to your benefit...especially with the fee being almost £2000 now.

nare72
Newly Registered

Post by nare72 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:44 pm

I dont think passport expire date makes any difference to CEO. he will issue visa as long as passport is valid on that time. Once you apply for new passport your current passport will also be returned to you as it carry valid visa. You can keep your visa on your old passport but you have to carry both passports to every where.

NT1234

Post by NT1234 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:17 pm

I DONT THINK YOU CAN CARRY VISA AN ON EXPIRY PASSPORT - YOUWILL CERTTAINLY HAVE ISSUES WITH THIS WHEN TRAVELLING..I HAVE SEEN OTHERS EXPERIENCE THIS AND HAD TO GO AND GET A NEW PASSPORT.........

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:59 pm

As long as you have valid passport the visa will be stamped in it. The ECO prefers at least 6 months be left in passport. However this is sometimes not possible as OP has found to his cost.

I would advise that it would work out considerably cheaper if a new passport was made before visa is stamped in it, otherwise if you ask HO to transfer the visa to your new passport ( it will cost in excess of £400 ... I think) unless you decide you are not going to travel outside the Uk for some time.

hmm

Post by hmm » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We are not worried about transferring the visa to the new passport or the cost to do that. The applicant is not planning to travel outside UK for some time so we can sort that out when she is here.

I know the passport has to be valid for atleast 6 months when you apply for a visa, it says so on the visa application form. What I cannot find anywhere is that whether 'the passport validity 6 months' requirement is also apply when ECO stamp the visa on passport.
I guess we'll have to wait and see what ECO says. If ECO happy to issue the visa when the passport is only couple of months valid. Then she'll travel to UK on it and hopefully the immigration in UK airport don't question it orrefuse entry on arrival. once she is here she can apply for a new passport in the Embassy here. Then worry about the rest. The main thing is to bring here over as soon as.