ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization Query 2

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

MrCheeks147
Newly Registered

Naturalization Query 2

Post by MrCheeks147 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:21 pm

Dear all,

I was granted granted ILR under SET (M) rules (marriage to holder of ILR) in Feb 2010. My wife has recently been naturalized as a British Citizen.

My question is : Does my previous stay as a student in the UK count towards the 3 or 5 years residency required for naturalization.

Details of immigration status are as follows:
- Oct 2003 - Jan 2008 on student visa.
- Feb 2008 – Feb 2010 on limited leave to remain (FLR (M))
- Feb 2010 - current on ILR.

Hence, am I now eligible under the Category of marriage to a British Citizen (currently without a British Passport but has Naturalization Cert.)?If so, am I eligible to apply for naturalization now without me being on ILR for 12 months?

My periods of absence for the last 5 years total less than 270 days and 0 days for the last year; in full time employment, no court judgments, 1 parking fine by Council CCTV camera (fully paid -up), full clean driving licence, passed KOL in UK, marriage certificate, evidence of residence in the form of letters from employers, educational establishments for the last 7yrs to show presence in the United Kingdom etc.

Many thanks.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:05 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

MrCheeks147
Newly Registered

Post by MrCheeks147 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:58 am

Many thanks once again Vinny...

MrCheeks147
Newly Registered

Post by MrCheeks147 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:31 pm

Hello everyone,

Does anybody have any experience in asking the Home Office to change the Ceremony from the applicant’s local council to somewhere else? if so, please can you elaborate on what reasons you gave @ the time.

The reason I ask this question is that I work away from home during the week and would rather have the ceremony at a local authority near my office which is less than 5mins walk and I am not sure if this will be a valid enough reason for HO to change it even though they ask on the AN form if you prefer somewhere different!!

I have seen other peoples experiences on here where they have asked for a different location for the ceremony but has not been taken into consideration by the HO.

Many thanks

MrCheeks147
Newly Registered

Post by MrCheeks147 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:04 am

Any one plssssssssssssssssss? :?: :?:

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Chapter 6: General Information wrote:6.11.22.8 Requests to transfer a ceremony to a different venue must only be dealt with by CCST.

Transfers within the UK

6.11.22.9 An applicant has the option to nominate a specific Local Authority. If a specific authority is not indicated the ceremony will be held in the Local Authority nearest to the applicant's UK home address.

6.11.22.10 If the applicant changes address and their new address comes under a different Local Authority, CCST will amend the details accordingly and arrange for the transfer of documents between Local Authorities.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:43 pm

MrCheeks147 wrote:Hello everyone,

Does anybody have any experience in asking the Home Office to change the Ceremony from the applicant’s local council to somewhere else? if so, please can you elaborate on what reasons you gave @ the time.

The reason I ask this question is that I work away from home during the week and would rather have the ceremony at a local authority near my office which is less than 5mins walk and I am not sure if this will be a valid enough reason for HO to change it even though they ask on the AN form if you prefer somewhere different!!

I have seen other peoples experiences on here where they have asked for a different location for the ceremony but has not been taken into consideration by the HO.

Many thanks
Have a look at the form AN carefully. You can fill up the details of another local council/authority which is different from the council/local authority of your residential address.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:43 pm

MrCheeks147 wrote:Hello everyone,

Many thanks
Yes as advised fill in the details of the council you prefer and in the further information section of the form just state that you prefer to have the ceremony at that council because you work in that council. If they dont give you that council then so be it, at least you would have tried.

As far as i have read on this forum it is difficult and would probably delay the ceremony process if you tried to move the ceremony to different once you have been approved. That is apparantely because once approved tthe certificate is sent to the council and so would need the UKBA to approve its movement to an alternative council.

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:57 pm

Its best to mention a different council in section 1.21 of form AN.
Trying to change the council after the approval is a very bad idea indeed. Its a lot of hassle and certainly not worth it.

MrCheeks147
Newly Registered

Post by MrCheeks147 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:10 pm

Many thanks for the replies.

My question was really centered around the application form itself if HO really need a compelling reason to change the Council from my local authority even though it says on 1.21 of the form to nominate a different council if required and also if any member of the forum has had any experience in getting this kind of request approved and on what basis, if any?

I was not insinuating a change after the approval has been granted since this would be rather time consuming and complex.

:)