ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What goes on during an Appeal Hearing

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sunnyboy786
Newly Registered

What goes on during an Appeal Hearing

Post by sunnyboy786 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:32 pm

I have an appeal hearing scheduled for next week in Manchester. This is the very first time in my life I will appear in the court. So few very basic questions:

1. Is there a representative from Home Office during the appeal hearing? Or it is the judge alone.

2. What sort of questions a judge may typically ask? I have provided detailed documentation and original visa application in the documents filed with the AIT.

3. Our visa application was refused in Jan, 2009. Will the judge be interested only in documents filed at time of submission or do I need to provide an update of all the documents such as bank statements, salary slips.

4. Is there any good practice on how to respond to judge's queries. I have no knowledge of legal terms etc.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:38 pm

The best way to find out is to go and sit at the back of the court and listen in to what is said and done.

It is a public court. Anybody can go and see and hear what goes on.

This is the best way rather than people telling you on the forum :lol:
1. Is there a representative from Home Office during the appeal hearing? Or it is the judge alone.

The HO representaive will be there to justify why they refused your spouse

2. What sort of questions a judge may typically ask? I have provided detailed documentation and original visa application in the documents filed with the AIT.

See above

3. Our visa application was refused in Jan, 2009. Will the judge be interested only in documents filed at time of submission or do I need to provide an update of all the documents such as bank statements, salary slips.

He will have copies of all the documents you provided at the time of your application. It would be wise to take upto date bank statement and wage slips just incase you have to prove that you are working and saving

4. Is there any good practice on how to respond to judge's queries. I have no knowledge of legal terms etc.

No just look him straight in the face and answer any questions that he may ask honestly and truthfully. You can address him by calling him "Sir".

Last edited by batleykhan on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunnyboy786
Newly Registered

Post by sunnyboy786 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:42 pm

As I have exhausted all my holidays, sparing a day for the court is not a possibility in my case. I will be obliged if any one can guide the fundamentals.

sunnyboy786
Newly Registered

Post by sunnyboy786 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:35 pm

Many thanks. I will be defending visit visa rejection of my parents.

I have read on some posts that 3 set of documents are required to be submitted at AIT. I did not get any such request in the letters i received. Do we need to submit 3 set of documents to AIT?

Also, Home Office guys did not respond to earlier letters sent from AIT. I have read somewhere that in most cases there is no one to represent Home Office. Is it true in most of the cases.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:10 pm

sunnyboy786 wrote:Many thanks. I will be defending visit visa rejection of my parents.

I have read on some posts that 3 set of documents are required to be submitted at AIT. I did not get any such request in the letters i received. Do we need to submit 3 set of documents to AIT?

You do not have to submitt any further data if you have already submitted with appeal notice

Also, Home Office guys did not respond to earlier letters sent from AIT. I have read somewhere that in most cases there is no one to represent Home Office. Is it true in most of the cases.

In some case not most. Usually the HO rep is their to defend teh ECO actions. If its a straight forward and simple appeal and they know they are going to loose, they dont bother sending a rep. The adjudicator normally makes the ruling in favour of the appellant