ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

A question on Contracting

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

coolsats
BANNED

A question on Contracting

Post by coolsats » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:47 pm

hi guys,

I just secured a contract that would get me 300 a day. I signed up with a Umbrella company referred to me by my Recruiting Agency. And they are charging me 7% per invoice i.e for 1500 a week, they will 7% on that 1500. Is this good enough a rate or its on the higher scale.

Is there anything more that I should know when contracting, am new to contracting so not got much idea. Is there anything else that i need to keep in mind while contracting.

Can I move to some other agency if its higher. Guys please adive on this..
If there are better Umbrella companies charging less, then please do let me know friends..

Regards

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:54 pm

Where is it based? Will you have to travel?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

coolsats
BANNED

Post by coolsats » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi Wanderer,

Its based in central London, and takes around 1.5 hours to reach in there. Am based in Southall.
Its already been 20 days now since i started working.

Can i claim some kind of expenses to get tax rebate. Do you think 7% per invoice is on the higher scale. Pls Advice Guru...not much idea into contracting.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:29 pm

coolsats wrote:Hi Wanderer,

Its based in central London, and takes around 1.5 hours to reach in there. Am based in Southall.
Its already been 20 days now since i started working.

Can i claim some kind of expenses to get tax rebate. Do you think 7% per invoice is on the higher scale. Pls Advice Guru...not much idea into contracting.
I think 7% is a bit steep - I paid 5% when I was contracting.

Not sure under an umbrella you can claim expenses, remeber too you will be paying 25% NI, employers too.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Idea

Post by Idea » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:00 pm

You can find good reliable umbrella companies charging 25-30 gbp/week

try Brookson, paystream...