ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 queries

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

thiyagu
Newly Registered

Tier 2 queries

Post by thiyagu » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:53 am

Hi need your valuable suggesstions.
i am a java/j2ee professional with 6 years exp. my wife is going to to do her mba in the uk this Sep. i have got a PBS sponsor certificate from my employer now. i couldnt apply for tier1 due to maintenance shortage of one day before July 19th.
my doubts are as follows
1) can i move in tier2 WP initially and then find another job in uk? is it possible to get a job and sponsorship? or is it possible to switch to tier1 how much avg sal can i expect with strong tech stuff and medium communication skills?

2) if apply for a tier2 intra company transfer first and if my company doesnt allow me to travel within 2010 can i apply for tier4 student dependent visa bearing in mind that my wife has already got visa and is in the uk? what will happen to tier2 visa?

3) if i apply for student dep visa this sep can i travel to uk with it in Jan 2011?

At present i have 2 options:

a) quit my job and get stud dep visa and try for job( can i expect to get a job within a month?)

b) stay with my company an try for intra company transfer

Could you please share your opinions. this is quite urgent as my sponsor cert expires in August.

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:29 am

1) No, you cannot work for a different employer on Tier 2. It is possible to apply for a Tier 1 though. Regarding your next question,
how much avg sal can i expect with strong tech stuff and medium communication skills?
For average salary discussion, have a look at this,
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=57581
and,
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... sc&start=0

Strong technical skills is very good. Communication skills is important enough to be able to understand what the other person is saying and then answer in such a way that the other person understands what you are saying.

2) Yes you can apply for Tier 4 when you already have your Tier 2. Only thing is your Tier 2 will stand cancelled when issued your Tier 4 visa. At any one time, applicant can have only one valid visa.

3) You can travel to the UK with the student dependent visa for as long as it is valid.

Your best option would be,

1) To travel on intra company transfer and then switch to Tier 1.

If not you could choose between,
a) Travel on Tier 4 dependent, secure a job and then switch to Tier 1
b) Secure your Tier 1, travel to the UK, and then secure a job.

Regarding securing a job, keep an average of 1 to 6 months. All the best.
Last edited by LearningCurve on Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:56 am, edited 3 times in total.

kenfrapin

Re: Tier 4 student dependent visa with applicant or allone

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:32 am

thiyagu wrote: 1) can i move in tier2 WP initially and then find another job in uk? is it possible to get a job and sponsorship? or is it possible to switch to tier1 how much avg sal can i expect with strong tech stuff and medium communication skills?
You can only come on Tier 2 if your company sends you, otherwise forget it. No company in the UK will sponsor you - you need to have a visa to legally work in the UK else they will not even call you for an interview
Switch to Tier 1??? I think you need to do a lot more homework. It looks like you have posted this in a hurry without thinking things through. Tier 1 rules and how to apply are on the UKBA site - its more stringent now and you need to get the right points to apply. There is nothing like SWITCHING to Tier 1 - you have to apply and get it yourself.
thiyagu wrote: 2) if apply for a tier2 intra company transfer first and if my company doesnt allow me to travel within 2010 can i apply for tier4 student dependent visa bearing in mind that my wife has already got visa and is in the uk? what will happen to tier2 visa?
Very messy but yes to almost all options.
If company gives you a Tier 2 then why wont they send you?I have not heard of companies who get Tier 2s and dont send you out here.
If you have to come here then remember you can only have ONE Valid visa in your passport. So if you get Tier 4 dependant visa then the Tier 2 one stands cancelled. Your company will NOT be happy and may ask you to pay the Visa fess but I guess you will quit your company as well so that should be fine.
thiyagu wrote: 3) if i apply for student dep visa this sep can i travel to uk with it in Jan 2011?
You can travel anytime as long as the Visa is valid and your wife is in the UK when you come over
thiyagu wrote: a) quit my job and get stud dep visa and try for job( can i expect to get a job within a month?)
Dont understand why only one month? Are you planning to take a leave from absence from work and try things out here? If you quit your company then you can be in the UK as a dependent as long as your wife is here. She will also get the PSW visa after her MBA and you can continue to be here as dependent.
Well getting a job just depends on your profile. Average times for permanent roles is 1 month but contract roles are immediate. Tier 4 dependent visa wont play in your favor as employees may not want to take you on board.
Without considering exceptions, finding a job in 1 month is very difficult
If you are open to any job such as retail services etc then you should be fine to get something in 1 month just so to earn something while you continue with your real job hunt
thiyagu wrote: b) stay with my company an try for intra company transfer
Are you coming here to be with you wife? If yes, will your company get you a project close to where your wife is staying? If no, then this has no connection to your wife's studies. Whether she does an MBA or not, your company will send you to UK on a Tier 2 as and when there are projects!!!

All the best
KP

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:34 am

LearningCurve - our answers are so similar :D

I just saw yours now as I had typed my reply, left it for a while and then posted it - sorry if it looks like I'm just repeating what you so rightly said!!!!

KP

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:55 am

@Kenfrapin,

No worries. Your answer is as usual more detailed. The more the merrier. :)