ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TIMELINE AFTER NATURALISATION APPLICATION SUBMISSION

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SubChand1
Newly Registered

Post by SubChand1 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi All

I am applying for naturalisatin through NCS and I have few doubts, could someone help me on this please.

1. Reference no(at the top of the page 1)

I have two sets of referene numbers, one that is on all the previous workpermits and different one on the ILR letter that was given to me when I got ILR. Which one should I fill in the natualisation form?.

2. Knowledge in UK test ID

I got a print out when I passed the test it hasnt got any test id but it has something called "Instance ID", is it what "Test ID" is?, should I fill this one on the form?

3. Period of absence from UK

I travelled few time to my home country India during last five years, when "Calculating the no.of days absence" from uk should I inculde both the date of departure and date of arrival?.

Also the trips were merely a yearly routine trip to india for marriage, see family or attending family functions and events. what do you suggest would describe best as "Reason"?.

4. Finally the list of documents that I need to carry to NCS or provide NCS.

I know its lenghty, if someone could advice me on this, it will be much appreciated.

Many thanks
SubChand

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:36 pm

Hi SubChand.

1) Take the work permits and ILR letter with you to the NCS and ask them which reference number(s) apply. Thats what you pay them £35 for!

2) The Instance ID and Test ID are the same thing.

3) Days absence is the number of days NOT including date of departure and return. For example, if I left on the 10th of Jan and returned on the 15th Jan then my days absent = 4. The reasons for absence as you have stated them will be fine for the form.

4) Passport, application form, test certificate and either debit card or cheque for the Home Office payment. Plus the NCS fees (which they preferred in cash when I went). Plus the documents mentioned in (1) above, of course.

Good luck!

ezh

Post by ezh » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Guys,

relax! You may find plenty of info elsewhere on the Board. Here is some summary:

IF you applied using the NCS everything will be okay very soon, within a month or so. If you do not have a "character check" letter with some CT it is a good sign. Most of the NCS applicants do not get such letters anyway (do not ask why).

IF you are applied by post - prepare to wait for your approval letter for 4-5 months! You'll probably get a charackter check letter about 2 months after your applicaton and perhaps a phone call from the IND and then it will be a period of complete silence for about 2-3 months. You may also need to make a phone call to the IND when approaching the average waiting time shown on the IND web page.

SubChand1,

with respect - all the questions you are asking have already been answered (many times) elswhere on the board...

SubChand1
Newly Registered

Post by SubChand1 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:28 pm

thank you so much for replies I have filled my form accordingly.

I got another one, please..

I initially came to UK on 6 business visa, after I came here my employer applied for my first work permit which I got. I had to go back to my home country India for stamping, I went to India got my wp stamped on my passport and came to uk again as a WP holder.

Now in the application form section 3.1 the date of first arrival, is it the date that I came first on business visa or date of arrival in WP.

can someone advice me please.

thanks
SubChand

TintinHerge

Post by TintinHerge » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:41 pm

SubChand1 - This is a tricky one . On one hand I would think that it should be the date when you entered on your Work Permit as you are applying for citizenship on that basis , but on the other hand they might want to know when you arrived in the country in the first place, period.

Again, as stated by someone else before, keep it blank and ask the NCS person when you get there. They are usually very helpful and will give you lot of time to ask questions that you might have to fill the appliction or any others that you might have.

Good Luck, mate

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:49 pm

TintinHerge wrote:SubChand1 - This is a tricky one . On one hand I would think that it should be the date when you entered on your Work Permit as you are applying for citizenship on that basis , but on the other hand they might want to know when you arrived in the country in the first place, period.

Again, as stated by someone else before, keep it blank and ask the NCS person when you get there. They are usually very helpful and will give you lot of time to ask questions that you might have to fill the appliction or any others that you might have.

Good Luck, mate

Actually, I don't believe that the fact that SubChand1 was here on a WP is directly relevant to his application for naturalisation. The Act doesn't care why the applicant was in UK, so long as the presence was legal. If the date of SubChand's first arrival in UK was the date he arrived on his business visa, that is the date that should go on the form. The date he entered with the WP is not the date of first arrival, which is what the form asks....
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

SubChand1
Newly Registered

Post by SubChand1 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:11 pm

but the guidance notes says "enter the day you first arrived to settle in the UK". This is what is confusing.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:42 pm

yes,

i was already in the uk when my first employer applied for my wp and visa extension

so i stuck in the date when i entered the uk last. and that was on a conference trip to ireland, to mkae it even complicated, i was not stamped on my return back from ireland, so i think the last stamp probably showed that i had entered the uk in october 99.

skmd
Newly Registered

Post by skmd » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:21 am

Here is my completed timeline from start to finish:

NCS or Postal : Postal (Special Delivery 9am)
CRITERIA : (4 + 1)yrs
Date of posting : 14/10/2005
Date of receipt at Liverpool : 15/10/2005
Date of debit of fee : 17/11/2005
Date of receipt of acknowledgement : 17/11/2005 (Dated 15/11/2005)
Date of receipt of approval : 08/02/2006 (Dated 07/02/2006)
Date of receipt of invitations : 23/02/2006 (Dated 09/02/3006)
Date of Ceremony : 01/03/2006 11:23
Date of application for passport : 01/03/2006 12:45
Method used : PostOffice Check and Send service with Secure Delivery
Date of Receipt : 17/03/2006 (1st delivery was attempted on 09/03/2006)
Total days : 154 (~5 months)

I had to send a fax on company's letterhead to get my passport delivered to work address as I missed it first time (home address) because they did not leave any 'we missed you while you were away' card to pick up my passport from a local delivery depot ! in fact my UK passport and supporting documents were returned to UKPS Liverpool and they redelivered it.

Anyway I am glad that I finally got it.

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:24 am

My approval letter arrived this morning, just over 2 weeks from application.
This continues the trend of recent NCS submissions reported in this thread.

NCS or Postal : NCS
If NCS, which centre : Newcastle
Date of submission or posting : 02. 03. 2006
CRITERIA - 5 yr stay (4 + 1 yr ILR) : 5 yr stay
Date of debit of debit/credit card : 06. 03. 2006
Date of receipt of acknowledgement : 09. 03. 2006
Date of receipt of approval: 18.03.2006 (Dated 13.03.2006)

Take care.

FromThere2Here

Post by FromThere2Here » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:26 pm

tekaweni wrote:My approval letter arrived this morning, just over 2 weeks from application.

NCS or Postal : NCS
If NCS, which centre : Newcastle
Date of submission or posting : 02. 03. 2006
CRITERIA - 5 yr stay (4 + 1 yr ILR) : 5 yr stay
Date of debit of debit/credit card : 06. 03. 2006
Date of receipt of acknowledgement : 09. 03. 2006
Date of receipt of approval: 18.03.2006 (Dated 13.03.2006)

Take care.
Congratulations! That's fantastic turnaround by the Home Office.

I applied six days after you, so I've got my fingers crossed!

Was your application totally straightforward? I'm worried that mine is going to be delayed because I have a long list of trips out of the country (you should see my passport; hundreds of stamps) and the fact that I don't currently have a job. So I guess we'll know soon whether these types of things slow down the process.

Shimil
Newly Registered

Post by Shimil » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:01 pm

HI Guys
I have one question how the time period spent in Uk is counted towards naturalization or ILR.
If these are dates stamped on your passport the somtimes whle leaving UK and entering into another country (?) the immigration person dont put stamp on the passport.
Any comments will be greatly apreciated.

basis

Post by basis » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:19 pm

Did not really understand the question.

Are you saying if the passport is not stamped while entering / leaving the UK then how does immigration system find when you were in / out of the UK ?

If yes, then remember the onus to prove that you have been in the UK lies on you. And even if they dont stamp your passport the computer system of Home Office keeps a record of your arrivals based on the immigration cards you fill and handover to the IO at port of entry.

if you dont know exactly then stretch your memory, ask ur family members, look at official records - mails, bills etc if it was official trip, remember the vacations / family occassions why you went out of the UK....common you should be able to get the details. I used to travel on average 20 times - so 40 arrivals /departures in an year - I neeed two sheets to be attached to my naturalisation applcn but I could put all the dates perfect. And mostly you get the other country stamping ur passport atleast.

It rarely happens that neither UK nor the country you are visiting stamps your passport. It happenned twice for me that no country stamped passport and both times it was Switzerland. But then I remembered those trips. As one was leisure trip and another business trip.

Good luck.

Shimil
Newly Registered

Post by Shimil » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:36 pm

Hi basis
May be I am not clear in my question. Yes it is true that immigration officer stamp and keep record of entering but please note that they dont for departing as I have noticed. Immigration officer rarely stamp passport when leaving UK and also in France where I reside I dont get stamped each time I leave and enter, so I mean is it possible that I stay even longer than 90 days outside UK and claim that I was in UK based on my bills for residence and electricity.

Fibunnaci
Newly Registered

Post by Fibunnaci » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:52 pm

tekaweni wrote:My approval letter arrived this morning, just over 2 weeks from application.

Congratulations tekaweni, your timing is good as well.From now on it is a matter of counting the dates till you get the red shiny book.

My self I have been to cermony and applied for passport afterwards and waiting for it.I will post all the time line once recived passport.

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:00 pm

Hi FromThere2Here, yes my application was straightforward in respect of dates - only 10 days outside UK the whole 5 years. But as long as the total of all your days is comfortably under the max I dont see why you should have any delay.

Not having a job shouldnt be any problem either so long as you paid tax while you did have one, ie you 'have a satisfactory relationship' with Inland Revenue.

All the best, and hope your approval happens speedily too!

basis

Post by basis » Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:20 pm

Shimil wrote:Hi basis
May be I am not clear in my question. Yes it is true that immigration officer stamp and keep record of entering but please note that they dont for departing as I have noticed. Immigration officer rarely stamp passport when leaving UK and also in France where I reside I dont get stamped each time I leave and enter, so I mean is it possible that I stay even longer than 90 days outside UK and claim that I was in UK based on my bills for residence and electricity.
Of course everything is possible. However, cheating immigration authorities / Home Office is a grave offence and if you lie on naturalisation application then it can be withdrawn later on if found.

This board does not support / encourage / discuss such activities. So we must stop this here.

And secondly you need to think is it worth doing that. Normally there are some tolerances allowed by the authorities while granting ILR / Naturalisation in terms of fulfilling residence requirements. If you post your exact details (how many days u were out of the UK in 4 or 5 years for ILR / Naturalisation respectively) then members here can tell whether it would fall within those tolerances.

Just out of curiosity - Are you a french national ?

FromThere2Here

Post by FromThere2Here » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:46 pm

basis wrote:Did not really understand the question.

And even if they dont stamp your passport the computer system of Home Office keeps a record of your arrivals based on the immigration cards you fill and handover to the IO at port of entry.

Good luck.
Basis,

I couldn't agree more with your scolding him about his plan to lie about time out of the country. It's wrong and it's stupid. It's not worth the risk of getting caught, which would seriously and most likely permanently jeopardize the citizenship application.

However, I'm curious about your statement that the HO keeps a computer record of our arrivals. Frankly, I doubt that's the case. Yes, we fill out the cards, but I can't imagine the HO spending money having scores of employees entering the data from the cards into a computer database. That would be a huge and costly task.

Also, I've pratically memorized the annexes to the naturalisation application. The annexes specifically say that the HO relies on stamps in passports to verify that naturalisation applications have stayed within the 450/90 day rule. In case of a missing passport, the annex says, days out of the country are to be calculated based on work records and the like. No mention anywhere of using those entry cards to verify days out of the country.

More likely, the cards are kept on file for a period of time in case a problem arises with a particular entry into the country.

At any rate, good for you for slapping down this silly idea of cheating on a application. Cheating is the worst possible idea.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:22 pm

I don't know if you've noticed FromThere2Here but all the immigration posts I have travelled through (at the big airports, Heathrow et al) have computer consoles. If you have a machine readable passport the edge gets swiped (I know mine does) I'm sure they will enter some detail from the landing card there and then. I agree, there's no way they will gather all those cards and then type them all in later though!

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:42 pm

I dont think its really feasible for them to try and verify each and every exit and entry, by whatever means. My South African passport shows only two trips out of the UK in the last 5 years and yet both of those would be hard to verify from just the passport stamps - both exit stamps are blurred and it shows only one re-entry (returned late on a Sunday night through Gatwick - there was nobody at customs).

I'm pretty sure they are just looking for a rough indication of whether you spend enough time in the UK and unless something obviously doesnt add up will go with the days you put on the form. Given the turnaround times from application to decision nowadays they cant be spending much time per application.

TintinHerge

Point of No Return ?

Post by TintinHerge » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:17 am

At what stage of the application do I effectively become a British citizen ? In other words, When is the last time I can change my mind,if I want to , to not accept British citizenship?

Is it when I get the Acceptance letter from the Home Office Or As soon as I take the oath OR When I actually apply for a passport in the Post Office ?

Thanks in Advance
Tintin

lemess
Member of Standing

Re: Point of No Return ?

Post by lemess » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:20 am

TintinHerge wrote:At what stage of the application do I effectively become a British citizen ? In other words, When is the last time I can change my mind,if I want to , to not accept British citizenship?

Is it when I get the Acceptance letter from the Home Office Or As soon as I take the oath OR When I actually apply for a passport in the Post Office ?

Thanks in Advance
Tintin
As soon as you take the oath and receive your naturalisation certificate. This is after the approval letter and before the passport application.

Leo_Swan

Post by Leo_Swan » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:10 pm

TintinHerge

Leo here, why do you want to change your mind? or is it just a question.

remember we are still in the race.

basis

Re: Point of No Return ?

Post by basis » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:29 pm

TintinHerge wrote:At what stage of the application do I effectively become a British citizen ? In other words, When is the last time I can change my mind,if I want to , to not accept British citizenship?

Thanks in Advance
Tintin
your last chance to not to go ahead with british citizenship is just before you take oath. Once you take oath - you are a BC.

FromThere2Here

Post by FromThere2Here » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:37 pm

bbdivo wrote:I don't know if you've noticed FromThere2Here but all the immigration posts I have travelled through (at the big airports, Heathrow et al) have computer consoles. If you have a machine readable passport the edge gets swiped (I know mine does) I'm sure they will enter some detail from the landing card there and then. I agree, there's no way they will gather all those cards and then type them all in later though!
BBDivo, you may be right in suggesting that swiping a machine-readable passport creates an entry in a database that the Home Office can access. But I suspect that's not the case. My passport gets swiped in every country I have ever visited (with the possible exception of African countries; I can't remember). I suspect the passport swiping access a database of known and wanted criminals. (Interpol?)