ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Passport help

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

uklogbn
Newly Registered

Child Passport help

Post by uklogbn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:40 pm

I am a British citizen I naturalise about 3 years ago however I do have a 13 years old Nigerian born Daughter she currently living with my parent in Nigeria since birth which have miss a lot I’m now thinking of bringing her over to come and live with me, now I do have a questions for the board

1. an she apply for British passport
2. If not can I register her as a British citizen
3. Or she need to apply for settlement visa from Nigeria

NT1234

Post by NT1234 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:56 pm

you need to apply for her to get settlement visa first - british passport wont be granted until you are a permanent citizen in the UK. as seh is minor once she is given the dependent settlement visa then you have start the process of naturalisation therby citizenship. what you need to start worrying and gathering evidence to show you have been taking care of her for a number of years and that your parent can no longer look after her....this requires starting read on the immigration rules etc.

HRY2005
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by HRY2005 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:49 pm

NT1234 wrote:
and that your parent can no longer look after her
Thats not part of the immigration rules but I agree with the rest. You need evidence to show the child in question is living with your own relatives and not the other parent's relatives and you are directly responsible for his or her upkeep.
Live and let live

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:44 am

Unless child's other parent is dead, then Sole responsibility is also required for a child settlement visa.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

HRY2005
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by HRY2005 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:13 pm

vinny wrote:Unless child's other parent is dead

Thats not correct, its only one of the evidence of sole responsibity. In Nigeria, fathers have more parental rights than mothers (dunno if the OP is a man or woman), it may sound weird but true, the OP knows that. The child's already living with the OP's parents since birth, so.......need to focus on sole responsibilty.

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/ecg/settle ... n#18164090
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... /children/
Live and let live

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:10 am

If one parent is dead, then 297(i)(d) is satisfiable, without the need for sole responsibility 297(i)(e).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

HRY2005
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by HRY2005 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:18 am

Automatically
Live and let live