ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for 1st passport from abroad?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

magsi23
Member of Standing

Applying for 1st passport from abroad?

Post by magsi23 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:22 am

Dear All,

I hope someone can clear this Dilemma for me, I am due to apply for Citizenship end of August, and might need to travel September mid for work reasons for up to 18 months.

So my question is if i get approval after i have left UK how much time do i have by which i have to attend the ceremony? Also if i fly back to attend just the ceremony and get my naturalisation certificate, can i then apply for 1st British passport abroad at British High Commision? since i will be naturalised British citizen it should be ok?

Cheers
Magsi

krimith

Re: Applying for 1st passport from abroad?

Post by krimith » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:33 pm

magsi23 wrote:Dear All,

I hope someone can clear this Dilemma for me, I am due to apply for Citizenship end of August, and might need to travel September mid for work reasons for up to 18 months.

So my question is if i get approval after i have left UK how much time do i have by which i have to attend the ceremony? Also if i fly back to attend just the ceremony and get my naturalisation certificate, can i then apply for 1st British passport abroad at British High Commision? since i will be naturalised British citizen it should be ok?

Cheers
No, I think you cant apply from abroad but one thing you can do it if you get citizenship certificate then 90 days you can travel with your inidan passport and then you came back first apply for british passport and then surrender your indian passport, thats my solicitor told me but make sure until 90 days

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:55 pm

Well 1st of all i am not an Indian, secondly do you have a link etc you can back up your story?
Magsi

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:34 pm

Once approved you have to have your ceremony within 90 Days

Once approved I believe you can apply from abroad, best to check with the British embassy / high commission from the country from which you intend to apply from for their specific requirement

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-liv ... n-embassy/

JAJ
Australia

Re: Applying for 1st passport from abroad?

Post by JAJ » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:06 am

magsi23 wrote:Dear All,

Apply in August and leave the UK in September? If you're not married to a British citizen you may have problems with the "future intentions" aspect of the application.

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:07 am

Thanks f2k,

JAJ, I am not married to British Citizen, but if i am naturalised by September/October, it doesn't really matter then does it. I will meet and complete all the requirement for Citizenship before i leave? Surely they cant revoke the citizenship for the reason that i work abroad now?
Magsi

krimith

Post by krimith » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:47 pm

magsi23 wrote:Well 1st of all i am not an Indian, secondly do you have a link etc you can back up your story?
Ok, I was read and my solicitor told me thats why i just give you answer and, question about link so f2k give you link you can check my answer was right or wrong anyway everybody in this forum sometimes give answer what they know and sometimes with link so without link if give answer doesn't mean person making story ok now find out yourself everything

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:56 pm

Once you take your oath and recieve your certfificate it is unlikely your citizenship will be revoked unless they found out you used deception in the naturaliation process:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/briti ... tizenship/