ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Citizenship eligibilty ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ash20

Spouse Citizenship eligibilty ?

Post by ash20 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Hi All,
Iam looking for the answer for my wife's citizenship eligibilty
I came UK in Sept 2004
She arrived UK Feb 2008 ( Dependent Visa )
We both got ILR Sept 2009

Now my question is when is she eligible for citizenship ? Will she able to file it when iam also eligible that is Aug/Sep 2010 ? Or Feb 2011 when she completes 3 years in UK ?

The reason of asking is that i wanted to apply together otherwise i end up paying more money for indiviual applications. If she is eligible in feb 2011 then i rather wait for 5 months to apply together.

Appreciate your suggestion/comments

Thanks for reading this post

Many thanks
Ash
WP + Tier 1 = 2004-2009 , ILR Success : Sept' 09
British Citizen : Dec ' 10

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Not before she completes three years stay in the UK.

regards

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Won’t the OP’s spouse still have to apply separately as the OP is not yet a citizen? Three year rule will apply only once he becomes a citizen and then the spouse can apply after. Hence two different application?

Ray

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:27 pm

Won’t the OP’s spouse still have to apply separately as the OP is not yet a citizen?
That is right, yes, the earliest a joint application could be made is when they have both been in the UK at least 5 years. The earliest, but not cheapest, way of doing this is if the OP applies by himself when he has had ILR for at least one year, and then as soon as he is British, the 3-year rule will apply to the wife, so she might well be able to apply next February.

ash20, did your wife come to the UK at all prior to February 2008? If yes, details of any time in the UK from September 2006 to when she arrived in February 2008?
Last edited by John on Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
John

ash20

Post by ash20 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:01 pm

That is right, yes, the earliest a joint application could be made is when they have both been in the UK at least 5 years. The earliest, not not cheapest, way of doing this is if the OP applies by himself when he has had ILR for at least one year, and then as soon as he is British, the 3-year rule will apply to the wife, so she might well be able to apply next February.

ash20, did your wife come to the UK at all prior to February 2008? If yes, details of any time in the UK from September 2006 to when she arrived in February 2008?
Thanks Guys for prompt reply
John, My wife came here for first time in Feb 2008. so it seems that joint application is not at all possible. My understanding is that i should apply for my citizenship and then my wife will be eligible in Feb 2011 or 2012 ? In any case it has to be separate application.
I hope my understanding is right ?

Cheers guys
Ash.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:36 pm

ash20, assuming you apply for Naturalisation soon after you have had ILR for one year .... sometime in September 2010 ... it could well be the case that you will be a British Citizen before the 3rd anniversary of your wife moving to the UK. If that is the case then your wife will be able to apply as soon as she reaches that 3rd anniversary.

If you Naturalisation takes a bit longer then your wife will be able to apply as soon as you are handed your Certificate of Naturalisation at your Citizenship Ceremony.
John

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:56 am

raymasa2 wrote:Won’t the OP’s spouse still have to apply separately as the OP is not yet a citizen? Three year rule will apply only once he becomes a citizen and then the spouse can apply after. Hence two different application?

Ray
My response was to the question of eligibility and not to whether (or when) a joint application can be made. Apologies, if this wasn't clear enough.

regards

ash20

Post by ash20 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:15 am

John wrote:ash20, assuming you apply for Naturalisation soon after you have had ILR for one year .... sometime in September 2010 ... it could well be the case that you will be a British Citizen before the 3rd anniversary of your wife moving to the UK. If that is the case then your wife will be able to apply as soon as she reaches that 3rd anniversary.

If you Naturalisation takes a bit longer then your wife will be able to apply as soon as you are handed your Certificate of Naturalisation at your Citizenship Ceremony.
Thanks John,
Appreciate your suggestion and comments. Now i have idea how to go about it.
Thanks again

Cheers
Ash