ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How difficult to get a .Net Job in UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

saran_1234
Newly Registered

How difficult to get a .Net Job in UK

Post by saran_1234 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:00 pm

Hi Buddies,

Can I get any information about getting .Net job in UK?

Is it good to quit a 8L paying job from India and travel to UK to search 35-40K paying job?

How long it will take to get a .Net or Technical BPO job which offers 35-40k?

Also I would like to know if any other office jobs where we can earn above 30k.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Saran

*FC*
Member of Standing

Re: How difficult to get a .Net Job in UK

Post by *FC* » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:05 pm

saran_1234 wrote:Hi Buddies,

Is it good to quit a 8L paying job from India and travel to UK to search 35-40K paying job?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Saran
Hi Saran,

Wrong section to open this thread.

However, please go through the Employment offers and Jobs sections. There are loads of discussions there and very useful advice from users like Kenfrapin. :)

Also, you have to be clear in explaining the experience you have etc.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:11 pm

Moved to appropriate section.

mnrao
Newly Registered

Post by mnrao » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Saran
Hi, I came to know through some of my friends that, the job market is good for .NET technology. That is why i applied for Tier1, and got Visa this month. And i am planning to travel after 3/4 months to UK.
Regards,
Narayana.

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:24 pm

Lots of threads along these lines. Suggest you to read Kenfrapin's advice
saran_1234 wrote: How long it will take to get a .Net or Technical BPO job which offers 35-40k?
Not to sound harsh. We are not Oracle of Ammon to predict this. Instead of quitting your job, I would advise you to take an UK number via SKYPE or any other suitable means and start applying for jobs. When you feel the time is ripe based on the responses you get from consultants, do come over and you will succeed.

Shepherd

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:17 am

I would advise you to take an UK number via SKYPE or any other suitable means and start applying for jobs. When you feel the time is ripe based on the responses you get from consultants,
@gd_shepherd

I did see this suggestion elsewhere in the board too. Although, this is good to see how the calls and responses are, does it not ward off genuine recruiters, when you tell them you are still in <your home country> ?

I am just curious if this really works?. Do people still get to the level of taking 1st level telephonic rounds ? even if they do, is it not still a risk ? how do they answer 'when are you going to be here in UK to attend the f2f'?

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:45 am

I did see this suggestion elsewhere in the board too. Although, this is good to see how the calls and responses are, does it not ward off genuine recruiters, when you tell them you are still in <your home country> ?

I am just curious if this really works?. Do people still get to the level of taking 1st level telephonic rounds ? even if they do, is it not still a risk ? how do they answer 'when are you going to be here in UK to attend the f2f'?
The answer should be polished. You should start saying that you are back in India for a small vacation and can be available within a week or two or even earlier if intimated in advance.

Believe me this works. If you just put an Indian mobile number, nobody is really going to call as was discussed in the next thread related DB2 positions.

Good luck

Shepherd

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:02 am

True, that's definitely better than putting a non-uk number in the profile.
can be available within a week or two or even earlier if intimated in advance.
Now if you are still working for a company back home, then you'll have to plan leave to travel during that period to take up the interview. If you don't get through then it's a lot of cost incurred. There are additional hassles such as go back home, serve notice period etc, travel back and join the new job.

However, it does seem a good thing to do, during the interim time before date of travel and your stay in home country, to start floating your resume in the uk market.

Also, good way to know the current situation in terms of number of calls , market need for skillset etc, before making a decision to travel into the UK, without a job.

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:13 am

gd_Shepherd wrote:If you just put an Indian mobile number, nobody is really going to call as was discussed in the next thread related DB2 positions.
Not entierly true. I never bothered to get UK number while in India for jobsearch. It was easy than trying to make stories.
I used my mobile number back home. And managed to get suffiecient interest in my CV(knowing I was in India). And arranged around 3 face to face interviews before coming here. It was 2.5 years back. I don't know , whether I would have increased my chances of getting calls by UK number, but Indian number just worked fine for me.

gd_Shepherd

Post by gd_Shepherd » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:20 am

Now if you are still working for a company back home, then you'll have to plan leave to travel during that period to take up the interview. If you don't get through then it's a lot of cost incurred. There are additional hassles such as go back home, serve notice period etc, travel back and join the new job.
There may be at least two rounds of interviews. If you manage to schedule at least two interviews, it is worth applying for a leave of one week and fly back , attend the interviews and then come back. Based on the performance, you could decide the rest. It is a calculated risk rather than leaving the job once for all.
However, it does seem a good thing to do, during the interim time before date of travel and your stay in home country, to start floating your resume in the uk market.
Also, good way to know the current situation in terms of number of calls , market need for skillset etc, before making a decision to travel into the UK, without a job
Nicely summed up. It is testing the water with your toes before you decide to get neck deep. By the way try giving an indian number in one of the jobsites and the UK number in the other, test the waters.

Once again I will quote from "The Matrix"

Source: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/The_Matrix

Morpheus: Neo, sooner or later you're going to realize, just as I did, that there's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.
Good luck

Shepherd

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:32 pm

All the posts are great and throws light on how things are today

The market was great pre-recession with more jobs, fewer skilled workers and this used to result in multiple job offers with some agents even calling Asia to interview possible candidates but NOT ANY MORE

Too many Tier 1 people hunting for jobs on ANY salary coupled with so many previously permanent local residents and contractors who all want a secure perm job makes the job market today really difficult.

Saran_1234 - What in the world is Technical BPO job? BPO stands for Business Process OUTSOURCING - its work OUTSOURCED to Asia/Americas. So unless we have Asian Companies setting up BPOs in the UK, there are no such jobs :roll:
There are too many .Net people here fighting for very few jobs and .Net is not considered a 'special' skill anymore. So £35k to £40 roles are very few and only given to a person with solid experience or exceptional skills. So you just have to be here, spend 3 to 4 months, see if you get calls for interviews and then see how it goes.

As gd_shepherd so rightly said - a single interview process may have few tech rounds and then a final HR round. Average times for this is anywhere between 1 month to even 3 months - its really slow here unless you are a star and they cant live without you :wink:

All the best
KP

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:04 am

:roll: :wink: :twisted: 8) :shock: :x
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.