ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US/UK couple seeking to stay in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cringe
Newly Registered

US/UK couple seeking to stay in Ireland

Post by cringe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:02 am

Okay, I'm sure it's asked around somewhere, but it'd be nice to here answers to my specific questions so, excuse me for anything thats been asked, I guess :)

My fiance (20) is a UK citizen, I'm (18 ) a US citizen.
He's able to work in Ireland, right? Does he need to fill out anything or?
We were planing on getting married in the US, but it would be a lot easier on us if we could get married in Ireland only if I can stay there after we get married, and send in my application there; is any of that possible?
For the application itself, what do I need to fill out, and where can I get it? x:

I guess any other information to our situation would be great. We wont do this for awhile yet (so I imagine laws will change), but I've been stressing over this since we came up w/ the plan, would really help if we could just get a clear idea (especially when it comes to where to marry, really); would be great.

Thanks! :)
Last edited by cringe on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ca.funke
Belgium

Re: Few Questions!

Post by ca.funke » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:22 am

Hi cringe,

welcome to the forum.

First a general hint: It may be a good idea to change your topic to something meaningful. "Few Questions!" won´t entice many readers to click into your topic, as it doesn´t give away what to expect in the topic. How about: "US/UK couple seeking to stay in Ireland", or similar?

From your topic I assume that
  • you are a US-citizen, 18 and female
  • your fiancé is a UK-citizen, 20 and male
As you are a US-citizen, you can enter both Ireland and the UK visa free, so no problems getting to where you want to be.

Which leads us to the answer of your question: Yes, you can get married in Ireland and subsequently stay there without any further conditions.

What you need to do after getting married is:
  • Bring both your passports AND
  • your marriage-certificate
to INIS, and apply for a 4EUFam-card, and that´s basically the end of the story.

This should be a pretty smooth ride.

Any further questions, just ask.

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:25 am

ca.funke wrote:What you need to do after getting married is:
to INIS, and apply for a 4EUFam-card, and that´s basically the end of the story.

In theory, correct, but the Dept of Justice have implemented a change in policy, whereby non-EEA citizens who are awaiting their 4EUFam card have to first apply for a temporary Stamp 3. This is, of course, illegal, and in violation of the EU Directive, but is being challenged through the courts at the moment.

cringe
Newly Registered

Post by cringe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:07 pm

ca.funke wrote:Hi cringe,

welcome to the forum.

First a general hint: It may be a good idea to change your topic to something meaningful. "Few Questions!" won´t entice many readers to click into your topic, as it doesn´t give away what to expect in the topic. How about: "US/UK couple seeking to stay in Ireland", or similar?

From your topic I assume that
  • you are a US-citizen, 18 and female
  • your fiancé is a UK-citizen, 20 and male
As you are a US-citizen, you can enter both Ireland and the UK visa free, so no problems getting to where you want to be.

Which leads us to the answer of your question: Yes, you can get married in Ireland and subsequently stay there without any further conditions.

What you need to do after getting married is:

Any further questions, just ask.
Good point, but I honestly couldn't think of a title at all. Hope you don't mind I took your suggestion!
doesnotcompute wrote: In theory, correct, but the Dept of Justice have implemented a change in policy, whereby non-EEA citizens who are awaiting their 4EUFam card have to first apply for a temporary Stamp 3. This is, of course, illegal, and in violation of the EU Directive, but is being challenged through the courts at the moment.
So basically I can't go there and get married and stay, as of now?
Like I said, it's not going to happen for awhile, but do you think they'll remove that policy?

Or did I read that wrong? X:

ca.funke
Belgium

Post by ca.funke » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:41 am

cringe wrote:
doesnotcompute wrote: In theory, correct, but the Dept of Justice have implemented a change in policy, whereby non-EEA citizens who are awaiting their 4EUFam card have to first apply for a temporary Stamp 3. This is, of course, illegal, and in violation of the EU Directive, but is being challenged through the courts at the moment.
So basically I can't go there and get married and stay, as of now?
Like I said, it's not going to happen for awhile, but do you think they'll remove that policy?

Or did I read that wrong? X:
Hi cringe,

I haven´t been in touch with the procedures on the ground in Ireland, since we left from there a while ago.

However I can tell you from experience, that the DoJ is a bunch of very strange people who like to act on their own, disregarding the EU altogether.

Whenever this happens (this "Stamp 3 first, 4EUFam later" would be jet another illegal approach by the DoJ), it has to be challenged in court and then the policy will be removed, just to be followed by some new crap that they come up with.

The end of the story is: Whatever happens: You will be allowed to stay immediately, and the non-EU part of your relation will be allowed to work immediately.

Whereever this is not the case you may have to go through the courts, where you will get compensation for times not worked.

The practical procedure has to be determined at the time you really want to do it, as the DoJ´s endless imagination keeps coming up with new (illegal) hurdles.

PS - no problem for taking "my" subject idea.

I hope you´ll find the solution you want. All the best!