ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how to save tax in UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Laksonline
Newly Registered

how to save tax in UK

Post by Laksonline » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:22 am

Hey guys,

I have got a permanent job which pays me 55K basic + benefits
i do not want to pay 40% of tax, is there any way we could save there as we do in India?

any guidelines?

gotcha
Member of Standing

Re: how to save tax in UK

Post by gotcha » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:16 am

Laksonline wrote: any guidelines?
No, there is no way out.

prisat
Member of Standing

Post by prisat » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:25 pm

Laksonline wrote:Hey guys,

i do not want to pay 40% of tax, is there any way we could save there as we do in India?

any guidelines?
Welcome to UK !!!
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.

Idea

Pension contribution

Post by Idea » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:50 pm

A long shot - Increase the contribution to the pension fund...may help

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:53 pm

any guidelines?
You wont pay 40% for the whole amount my friend. Hope you have confirmed your take home salary by checking on the listentotaxman website.

Regarding tax savings, well, unlike Asia, there is nothing out here to help you reduce your tax outgoings. You can save the interest you earn when you invest in Fixed Deposits but again that only helps you get more interest on your investment but in the end, the principal amount, your actual money is always taxed and given to you so no options I am afraid

And hey, congrats on your job. £55k is a VERY decent package :D

KP

sapvish

Post by sapvish » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 pm

Laksonline first of all congratulations on your job.
I have a question... sorry i dont have an answer to your question though!

You have managed to fetch a very decent job. Too good. Pls let me know how long you had to try before you got this job and what are your skill sets? Just want to know what are current valued skill sets and basically the job market situation in UK. Hope you wil respond. Thanks a ton! and good luck on your job :)

Laksonline
Newly Registered

hey

Post by Laksonline » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:54 am

sapvish wrote:Laksonline first of all congratulations on your job.
I have a question... sorry i dont have an answer to your question though!

You have managed to fetch a very decent job. Too good. Pls let me know how long you had to try before you got this job and what are your skill sets? Just want to know what are current valued skill sets and basically the job market situation in UK. Hope you wil respond. Thanks a ton! and good luck on your job :)
hey sap
i hv posted these details in other thread..

sapvish

Post by sapvish » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:01 pm

kenfrapin may be you can answer my query :)
was going thru listentotaxman website as u suggested in this thread.

For 55k i found that net wage after tax deduction is around 38k which comes to around 3200 take home per month. Am i right in this calculation. Approximately is this the way deductions happen? I wanted to get an idea on what would be the take home basically!

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:18 pm

Yes Sapvish you got the calculation right

For a salary of £55k,

Yearly tax free allowance is £6475 - constant for everyone
Yearly National Insurance is £4309
Income Tax on Salary is £11930

And final take home comes to £38760 which translates to £3230 per month. There is no way of reducing your tax outgoing from the above calculation in the UK

If you directly convert this to Indian Rupees @ Rs 65 to £1, then one pays a total tax of Rs 10.75 lakhs on a salary of Rs 35.75 lakhs and just takes home Rs 25lakhs :roll:

Wonder if it is the same if one actually earns Rs 35 lakhs there!!!!

Cheers
KP

sapvish

Post by sapvish » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:42 pm

Hm... its quite high...
Here in india no we wouldn't be paying 10 lacs out of 35 lacs in tax... :?
Wel day to day life in UK is definitely better than here :P

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:58 pm

sapvish wrote:day to day life in UK is definitely better than here :P
Chose the right town, get a lovely house and even though it may be a lil colder in winter, overall quality of life is a lot better here. The sheer lack of stress and tension in comparison to living in Asia adds another 10 years to life expectancy :lol:

KP

Laksonline
Newly Registered

Post by Laksonline » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:55 am

kenfrapin wrote:
sapvish wrote:day to day life in UK is definitely better than here :P
Chose the right town, get a lovely house and even though it may be a lil colder in winter, overall quality of life is a lot better here. The sheer lack of stress and tension in comparison to living in Asia adds another 10 years to life expectancy :lol:

KP
true.. i hate living like rats in places like east ham
which is the best place to buy a moderate apartment?

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:19 am

Depends on where your work base is - I have personally seen Maidenhead and its very beautiful. It's just 30mins from London Kings Cross and then a tube to work is required.
Not sure of any other places as I have not personally lived there. Slough is not good. However, the Bath Road is a long winding stretch of road that passes through Slough and Maidenhead - there are some pretty decent suburbs on either sides of the Bath Road

KP

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:41 am

Maidenhead is on the line from Paddington :wink:

wabuthu

Post by wabuthu » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:03 pm

any guidelines?
@laksonline: is it okay if i ask whether you contacted companies directly or did you use recruitment agencies? and if so which agencies did you use?

At the moment i'm applying online through the recruitment agencies but i hear alot that most of their jobs are "fake/non-existent" postings that don't exist just to make them look good...and they few real postings they have are in high competition. Hence i'm trying to get a list of reputable recruitment agencies that do not follow such practices. So far i have found like 3 in my field, but just curious to know what success others had with which agencies. Thanks and congrats on the great job!
i'm not a professional, i'm just giving responses from personal experiences or from ukba or ukcisa links that appear appropriate to the situation. currently on PSW visa

wire
Newly Registered

Post by wire » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:12 pm

Congratulation Laksonline!

Quick one - What are the benefits that came with the package? I am on a similar slab but with no benefits at all.

For Kenfrapin -
For a salary of £55k,

Yearly tax free allowance is £6475 - constant for everyone
Yearly National Insurance is £4309
Income Tax on Salary is £11930
And is it fair to say that the National Insurance doesnt get deducted until the first year is up?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:43 pm

wire wrote:And is it fair to say that the National Insurance doesnt get deducted until the first year is up?
Not true unfortunately!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

wire
Newly Registered

Post by wire » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:55 pm

Wanderer wrote:
wire wrote:And is it fair to say that the National Insurance doesnt get deducted until the first year is up?
Not true unfortunately!
Aah Ok. Some Indian companies have a tie up with the UK Government which allows a 12 month break on NI payments. I guess, this doesnt apply for local hires.

pyke

Post by pyke » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:05 pm

kenfrapin wrote:Slough is not good.
Why's that? I'm curious.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:00 am

Agree with Wire - few Indian Companies pay NI for the 1st year which is nice.

Pyke - We stayed in Slough for 6 long months and hated it. I came to the UK to experience English lifestyle, English cuisine, English tradition and their nuances. If I wanted to be amongst my own, smell my own, walk amongst my own, see all the mess and dirt then I would remain back in my own home town than come to the UK.
There are a few areas on either side of the Bath Road that are good but in general, Slough is sad

Slough is way better than Southall of course. I went just once and swore never to return again!!!! Its like your back in Punjab - the grime and the dirt gives no hint of you being in Europe. Hell, even the train station stinks of p** when you come out of there!!!!!

KP