ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job openings in Glasgow

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

g_hanah
Newly Registered

Job openings in Glasgow

Post by g_hanah » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:47 pm

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has experience of glasgow life? Like to know if there is any big difference b/w glasgow and Manchester?
Last edited by g_hanah on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nasirraza_31

Post by nasirraza_31 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:07 am

Hi g_hanah,

I am working in Glasgow for past two years now. I can not tell you much about the difference between glasgow and machester, but since I worked in london beofore, I can give the difference between them.

1. Cost of living is much cheaper.
2. You can get a decent 1Bed flat from 375 PCM.
3. Commutaion is cheap. Get a first Bus pass for approx 90 pounds for 10 weeks which covers almost all the parts of the city.

Unfortunatley I don't know anything about "Ceridian". As i understand they are in Hillington area which is a very well connected place. Not far from city center.

All the best!

kiranv5

request for a job

Post by kiranv5 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:25 pm

I am new to uk on tier 1 general , i previously worked in hyderabad as GIS specilaist . can anyone of you please help me i gettingh me a job in UK . I am in need of any job for surviaval.

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Re: request for a job

Post by aspirant99 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:19 pm

kiranv5 wrote:I am new to uk on tier 1 general , i previously worked in hyderabad as GIS specilaist . can anyone of you please help me i gettingh me a job in UK . I am in need of any job for surviaval.
Everybody is in the need of a job my friend...you have to pick urself up and start looking for it yourself..this forum can only share thoughts experiences and help you to approach your objectives..

Generic pleas like "please get me a job" will not attract too many responses...good luck and get busy!!

Idea

Post by Idea » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:38 pm

if somebody knew a secret answer to 'how to get a job' they'll be super rich and wouldn't spend time here...

wabuthu

Post by wabuthu » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:00 am

@nasirraza: could you kindly give afew more details on what glasgow is like? Alot of people usually say there's lots of crime...but i can imagine with every town there is good places and bad places. So maybe people just over exaggerate things?

I studied in dundee and went to edinburgh many times but never to glasgow. But now that i'm job searching i'm considering glasgow as one of the places. Your response will be appreciated thanks :)
nasirraza_31 wrote:Hi g_hanah,

I am working in Glasgow for past two years now. I can not tell you much about the difference between glasgow and machester, but since I worked in london beofore, I can give the difference between them.

1. Cost of living is much cheaper.
2. You can get a decent 1Bed flat from 375 PCM.
3. Commutaion is cheap. Get a first Bus pass for approx 90 pounds for 10 weeks which covers almost all the parts of the city.

Unfortunatley I don't know anything about "Ceridian". As i understand they are in Hillington area which is a very well connected place. Not far from city center.

All the best!
i'm not a professional, i'm just giving responses from personal experiences or from ukba or ukcisa links that appear appropriate to the situation. currently on PSW visa

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:29 pm

Wabuthu,

You are right, every single city in the UK has its good spots and bad so you just need to make sure you avoid the shady areas, thats all!

I have spent time in Manchester and Glasgow and I prefer Glasgow anyday because I love Scots :wink:
Moreover, the weather and general feel of Manchester is not as good as Glasgow but that's very a personal view.

Forget about the crime rates - research community forums and find out the better suburbs and towns within Glasgow, see which one suits you based on your work base and rent a place there. If you think and compare crime rates, you would not like to stay in most part of the UK where there are jobs available as more the people more the crime. You cant go live in a sleepy village where there is no crime at all :D

All the best!!!
KP

nasirraza_31

Post by nasirraza_31 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:07 am

Hey Wabuthu,

As KP said, crime is almost everywhere in UK. I lived in London before and there were also some places which were not safe at all. Same applies to Glasgow as well.

Avoid living in the east end and near IBrox. Basically you don't want to live near any of the two stadiums (Ranger & Celtics).

As for Nice places to live in glasgow will be -

1. West End (Anniesland, Hyndland, kelvindale etc)
2. City Centre
3. South side (Hillington area- though this could be a little far from the city centre, Shawland etc)

If you wish to live where there are Indian community then you can live in Pllockshields area.

Again, everything will depend on your work place.

All the best for you job hunt!
Last edited by nasirraza_31 on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:15 am

Avoid Easterhouse!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Idea

Post by Idea » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:03 am

city centre a nice place?...

yes. if you stay indoors always