ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What are my chances?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Midas
Newly Registered

What are my chances?

Post by Midas » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:05 am

I have got tier 1 visa and plan to relocate in march next year. I was going through the posts here and frankly got perturbed looking at gloomy job market prospects in UK. Though more posts refered to IT jobs etc.

I have Msc from Strathclyde (glasgow) and fellowship from Nottingham and currently working at top management position(Marketing) with Oil company in Pakistan. My gross income is 300000/month + benefits.

Do you guys really think i stand a chance to find suitable job in Uk or i better stay here?

TC

Midas
Newly Registered

Post by Midas » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:27 pm

Any one?
will appreciate some input from Marketeers/sustainability/CSR professionals.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:34 am

I have a few questions for you first
1. When did you complete the MSc from Strathclyde? I ask because was there not a PSW visa available when you finished your Masters?
2. If you were in the UK for your Masters, did you hunt around for jobs once you completed the course?If yes, what happened and if no, then why dint you try?
3. What is your overall experience in Marketing Management and is your Masters related to this industry?
4. What is the fellowship from Nottingham? This along with your Strathclyde Masters means you should have a great profile so I am confused why you are not already in the UK and on a job. Can you provide more info please?

Cheers
KP

kenfrapin

Re: What are my chances?

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:40 am

Midas wrote: My gross income is 300000/month + benefits.
And to add to my previous question - if you really do earn 3 lakh Pakistan Rs per month that comes to an annual salary of approx £28k
Based on your experience, you definitely have a chance of getting more than £28k but hey, I think you live a pretty nice life with that amount back home already and doubt you can live the same in the UK for even £36k!!!!

So think about it

KP

Midas
Newly Registered

Post by Midas » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanx Kenfrapin for the reply,

Okay first let me answer your questions;
1- I was working earlier and went on sabatical, completed MSc in international Marketing in 2002 and rejoined Shell. while on studies,i did some casual jobs in Asda and BP forecourts etc.
2- I didnt hunt for jobs after studies as had no plans for settling down in uk then.
3- I have got 15 years of experience in sales,marketing and sustainability.
4- In 2008 was selected for fellowship by FCO UK, in CSR/ sustainability, did it from University of nottingham.

Now with regard to your second email yes i have comfortable life and my decision for relocation is purely based on giving my kids a better future as security situation is pretty scary out here . I want them to have an option in future and we can review the situation after ILR about where to reside.Having said that i still dont want them to suffer due to me being unemployed in UK for longer time.

I have been applying for positions but got few responces like asking me to appear for interview etc.

There are people who would say trust God and stay,there are 170 million living in Pakistan and we share same destiny and others advises me to grab this opportunity. I am really confused. The last thing i want myself be doing is working at super stores to feed my family.

so my question remains...what are my chances.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:36 pm

Well you do have a very good profile and you definitely have a good chance out here. That is, unfortunately, no means of a job guarantee at all and thats because the market is not in the very best of shape.

Given all your experience and education, why dont you take a break, come over to the UK, spend a few months and test the waters? This is the only sure shot way of knowing your real chances in the market - there is no other way and I know its a difficult thing to do with family and work commitments.

Once you are here, and spend 2 or 3 months and manage to get calls for interviews, possibly few offers no matter the payscale, then you will be convinced that things are going to be good for you very soon. On the other hand, if you hardly get any calls or interviews and no offers then you know its best to try in some other country or perhaps try in a years time before your visa runs out.

Also, you should think of a few more important aspects as you have a family and want a good life here. This is slightly off topic -
1. Will you be the sole bread winner for your family? If yes, you need to ensure the job you take does not pay less than £60k. For your profile and sector, it maybe a lot higher
2. Even though money is important, if you have savings to bank on, you could think of accepting a job with low pay but sufficient to run your household and later, as you gain experience in the UK market, jump to much better roles - your qualifications and networks will go a long way
3. Possibility of your wife working as well which will help towards achieving the lifestyle you are looking for.

I wish you the very best and strongly believe that the only way you will know of your true chances is if you come to the UK and try things out for atleast 3 months. It is very good you are planning to move to UK to make a life and hence the reason I suggest you do this - for your sake and the sake of your family. Even today, UK is a lovely place to live in and as you rightly said, it will give your children a lot more opportunities than those available back home.

All the best
KP

Midas
Newly Registered

Post by Midas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:08 pm

Thank you KP for your detailed,practical and lovely reply.Really really appreciated.

I have been reading your posts and impressed how much time and energy you put in guiding people. Guidance is noblest of the help one can do for others. so please keep doing it.

Cheers

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks Midas, glad I can be of some help. The only reason I joined this forum was to try and give practical advice from real life experiences in the UK.
Unfortunately sometimes there are people who post things without thinking how it affects the general public and those who come to this forum seeking proper information read such posts and get a completely incorrect impression of things in the UK today

I wish you the very best
KP

LearningCurve

Post by LearningCurve » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:09 am

I concur word to word with Midas.

Thanks Kenfrapin :-) andt thanks to all the other guys who are doing the same out here.

Midas
Newly Registered

Post by Midas » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:08 pm

Guys just wanted to quickly share my success so far and ask if it really big thing??
I applied for 10 Jobs and was shortlisted for 8 Jobs interviews in the month of August/Sep.Is it something encouraging or its just a normal thing.I have applied from Pakistan but given UK address and UK references etc. advertised salary was between 35-50k,all managerial jobs.

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:20 pm

Not surprising at all Midas - I did say you have an extremely great CV. Over 15 years exp with a Masters from the UK - so why should you not get called?

Plus, as you so smartly did, you only put expected salary between £35 to £50k - I do hope you know that is really low for your profile but we have discussed this before. One of the big reasons you have been shortlisted is because of the remuneration you are expecting.

Before you come here, make sure 100% that the interviews are all genuine. You can do this by
1. Asking them to send an email confirmation of the interview and what is in scope of it
2. Double check the package they are willing to offer
3. Have you already had a telephonic interview with the actual companies or will your first round itself be in Aug/Sept - I ask because usually the first round is very general to see how your comms are and to validate your experience to see if it is really what they are looking for. This can easily be done over the phone and is even more sensible if you are not in the UK. Many times, after this round, they come back and say you are not selected. Remember that this interview need not go into any details but just a touch point and explanation of your CV to confirm you have done what your CV says. So make sure what interview you have scheduled with them
4. Double check with the agency who has confirmed your interview for you. Are all 8 interviews from just one agency or is it spread across more? The more the agencies involved, the better your odds of having genuine ones waiting in Aug/Sept

Wish you all the best and hope you get through in your first interview itself. If you ever have a feeling you can ask for more then try your luck. Even £50k is way too less for a person of your skill set and experience provided it is exactly what they are looking for. If you are a good fit, they will be making a killing getting you for anything under £50k!!!!

KP

Midas
Newly Registered

Post by Midas » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanx KP again :D

Out of 10 jobs, only one was through agency and only there was one telephonic interview (from the agency). The remaining shortlisted me based on application form(hate filling those) + CV + Covering letter. All communication was through official emails so i am assuming these are genuine jobs.

I deliberately avoided applying for jobs based in London for obvious reasons like higher costs,competitive environment etc.

The subject employers are generally medium size enterprises looking for experienced hires with the solid project management experience. I avoided mainstream players as well. I also believe my expected salary is low but as you and other friends suggested first secure a decent job,use savings and built upon from there...so that is the strategy...Lets hope its works out well.

Will keep u posted

TC