ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR-Attended in person but asked for some more docs-Success

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

guptan
Newly Registered

ILR-Attended in person but asked for some more docs-Success

Post by guptan » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:20 pm

Hi,

I have attended for ILR in person on 5yrs Work Permit but I was asked to get P60s and letter from HMRC confirming that tax and national insurance paid for all the 5 years. In my case my company is responsible for paying the tax and filing the returns and so they never gave us any P60s and also not asked us to apply for NI number.

I have asked company for P60s they gave me but there is no national insurance number mentioned in the P60, so without the NI number HMRC is unable to trace any records in their system and so I am unable to get any letter from HMRC. When I approached company regarding the same, they said company pays the tax and NI in group for all the employees in the company. I am not sure what to do now, any advise will be useful.

And also can I book one more appointment and take the documents with me or should they be sent by post only. If I send them by post, I heard that it will take upto 15 weeks, is that true. I have to send my family to India due to medical reasons but the passports are stucked with them, so is there any way I can ask them to process my application and send my passports back without loosing the fees unless the application is refused.

Your earliest reply will be very useful to me.

Regards
Gupta
Last edited by guptan on Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:33 pm

This sounds like one of those awful Indian allowance-only in UK, so no tax to HMRC.

If you paid UK tax your company has a legal obligation to provide you with a P60, which you say you have, does it have at least a tax reference on it?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:35 pm

My guess ....the P60 would reflect 0 tax. In other words, P60 issued to the employee (only) without the need to submit a return to HMRC??

regards

guptan
Newly Registered

Post by guptan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:03 am

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. In the P60, I could see the figures under the tax deducted column and its not 0, so I believe tax is paid, please let me know if its not correct. But I couldn't find any column as Tax Reference Number in P60, I could see Employer PAYE refrence. Is it the same you are refering to. If its not then should I ask my employer the tax reference number and with that is it possible to trace the records by HMRC?.

Regards
Gupta

king_kong

Did you carry the bank statements with salary details?

Post by king_kong » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:04 am

guptan wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. In the P60, I could see the figures under the tax deducted column and its not 0, so I believe tax is paid, please let me know if its not correct. But I couldn't find any column as Tax Reference Number in P60, I could see Employer PAYE refrence. Is it the same you are refering to. If its not then should I ask my employer the tax reference number and with that is it possible to trace the records by HMRC?.

Regards
Gupta
Dear Gupta,
I am in a similar kind of situation. Will be soon going in for ILR.
Going through this forum, I learnt that you can take bank statement/payslips as a proof of earnings, or continuos working in the UK. Did you try that option?

Besides, do you mean to say that you do not have an NI at all? In any of the P60s?

With regards.

king_kong

My case

Post by king_kong » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:31 am

sushdmehta wrote:My guess ....the P60 would reflect 0 tax. In other words, P60 issued to the employee (only) without the need to submit a return to HMRC??

regards
Dear Sushdmehta,

I did not get the NI for the first two years I was in the UK. My P60 forms for the first year contains zero NI, but tax, and no NI number. But for the second year, it contains some NI, tax, but no NI number. Then I got the NI, and things are in order.

Probably they go by the 186 day rule I read somewhere.

I am a bit confused because the bank statements will clearly say the earnings and the salary/allowance credited. I am waiting for Gupta to update based on the questions I have asked.

With regards.

guptan
Newly Registered

Post by guptan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:34 am

Hi,

Though I submitted all the payslips and bank statements, they asked me to get the P60s for all the 5 years. It depends on the case worker.

Regards

guptan
Newly Registered

Post by guptan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:37 am

Hi Wanderer

Could you please reply about my query on tax reference number in P60.

Regards
Gupta

king_kong

Oh dear

Post by king_kong » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:42 am

Though I submitted all the payslips and bank statements, they asked me to get the P60s for all the 5 years. It depends on the case worker.

Regards
Dear Gupta,

Sorry to hear that your case is getting dragged considering your personal situation.
Do you have an NInumber now?

I just have the electronic copies of all the P60s, off course I printed them. Did your company provide electronic copies as well, or were they printed?

Besides, since I did not have any NInumber for the first two years, even the HMRC was not able to track the NI and taxes. So the letter from HMRC which I got contains the details from the third year onwards only.

With regards.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:46 pm

Look for PAYE reference number and Works/Payroll number on the P60 and enquire with HMRC using these.

regards

smaganti

Post by smaganti » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:50 pm

Hi Guptan,
Did you worked for same company for 5 years or did you changed the company..?

guptan
Newly Registered

Post by guptan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi,

I called HMRC but they rejected to give any information over phone. They asked me to send all the P60s to them, so that they can verify and issue the letter. But I know this process will take long time, is there any other way?

Can you also pl let me know if I post my documents will they take long time to respond, I mean will it be considered as postal application though I paid the fee for premium service.

Yaa, I worked for the same company for all 5 years.

Regards
Gupta

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:16 pm

guptan wrote:I called HMRC but they rejected to give any information over phone. They asked me to send all the P60s to them, so that they can verify and issue the letter. But I know this process will take long time, is there any other way?
Don't think so. I guess HMRC is also sceptical, just as we are (at least I am) - it isn't normal that a company gives you P60 at the end of 5 years when you demand it .. and not every year. Try calling again .. maybe this time the person on the other end will be more helpful.
guptan wrote:Can you also pl let me know if I post my documents will they take long time to respond, I mean will it be considered as postal application though I paid the fee for premium service.
It is entirely up to UKBA! It was your responsibility to provide the documentary evidence at the time of application, so you cannot blame UKBA for not being fully prepared for your in-person appointment.

regards

guptan
Newly Registered

Post by guptan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:17 am

Hi,

Then am I allowed take one more appointment with the PEO, will they process the application on the sam day?

Regards
Gupta

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:33 pm

guptan wrote:Then am I allowed take one more appointment with the PEO
Making an appointment is not a problem - the issue would be whether you can get it soon enough and whether they'll let you in on the day because no one knows where your application is currently.
guptan wrote:will they process the application on the sam day?
If they let you in, if they find your application, if you present documents to their satisfaction then perhaps yes .... but who knows!

regards

nksg

Re: ILR - Attended in person but asked for some more documen

Post by nksg » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:38 pm

Gupta,

I am aware of this issue and best for you is to talk to your HR and take a letter from your company stating that they are responsible for tax and NI for you.. i know some friends who have had same letter from their HR and got through with it..

I this the letter this company issued also stated appx tax and NI paid for this emplyee as group tax...

All the best.

I have attended for ILR in person on 5yrs Work Permit but I was asked to get P60s and letter from HMRC confirming that tax and national insurance paid for all the 5 years. In my case my company is responsible for paying the tax and filing the returns and so they never gave us any P60s and also not asked us to apply for NI number.

I have asked company for P60s they gave me but there is no national insurance number mentioned in the P60, so without the NI number HMRC is unable to trace any records in their system and so I am unable to get any letter from HMRC. When I approached company regarding the same, they said company pays the tax and NI in group for all the employees in the company. I am not sure what to do now, any advise will be useful.

And also can I book one more appointment and take the documents with me or should they be sent by post only. If I send them by post, I heard that it will take upto 15 weeks, is that true. I have to send my family to India due to medical reasons but the passports are stucked with them, so is there any way I can ask them to process my application and send my passports back without loosing the fees unless the application is refused.

Your earliest reply will be very useful to me.

Regards
Gupta

guptan
Newly Registered

Post by guptan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Thanks nksg for the reply. I asked my HR to issue the letter for me and waiting for their response.

Regards
Gupta

king_kong

Do you not have the NI?

Post by king_kong » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:19 am

I called HMRC but they rejected to give any information over phone. They asked me to send all the P60s to them, so that they can verify and issue the letter. But I know this process will take long time, is there any other way?

Can you also pl let me know if I post my documents will they take long time to respond, I mean will it be considered as postal application though I paid the fee for premium service.

Yaa, I worked for the same company for all 5 years.

Regards
Gupta
Dear Gupta,
I reckon you dont have an NI yet. I may be wrong.
They cant disclose the details until they confirm your Identity.
It seems NI is the key identifier for them. Thats the first thing they ask when you call the helpline.
If you do not have the NI, eventhough the company pays the NI and taxes, they may not be able to locate the information for you as an individual.
If you have an NI, they will verify your identity, and if the system does not have your details, they will get it from your employer and update it.

I think now that you have your P60s, it should be straightforward, and offcourse seniors will guide otherwise.
Hope this helps.
With regards.

syedomarkhalil
Newly Registered

Post by syedomarkhalil » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi Gupta

i have read your case. i am in the same boat and previously i have asked on this forum that do WP holders need to show their tax payment proof and what if at the time of my ILR my employers tax records are not upto date i.e. employers tax is not filled when i apply for ILR, and the reply on this forum was that WP holders dont need to show P60 or proof of their tax payment. its not required because its not employee responsiblity its the employers responsibility. so how come they asked you for your P60 and tax proof?? Now i am really confused?? can anyone guide please

mg
Newly Registered

Post by mg » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:42 pm

Hi Gupta and King Kong

I am in the same situation. I have last 4 years p60s but don't have the p60 for 2005-06. My company says they can't issue 2005-06 p60 as tax paid by company was 0 as it was less than 183 days in that financial year. Does this make any sense? Is there any other document which will do? From your case it seems that the bank statement and salary slip will not do :(

Regards,
MG

guptan
Newly Registered

Post by guptan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:04 pm

Hi,

Actually it all depends on the case worker, so it may not be the case for all. I know people got ILR in this cateogry but for them no P60s were asked. So it all depends on the case worker, we can't say.

Regards
Gupta

guptan
Newly Registered

Post by guptan » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi All,

I have posted the P60s received from my employer and today I received my passports back with ILR stamping... hurah..... Thanks for all your inputs.

Regards
Gupta

smaganti

Post by smaganti » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi Guptan,

Congratulations on your ILR and finally managed to get it.

How did you get your P60's without NI Number? and did you send all P60's for 5 years or just letter from your employer that they are responsible for paying taxes

king_kong

Great to hear that

Post by king_kong » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:06 am

Great to hear that all went well at last.

guptan
Newly Registered

Post by guptan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:13 pm

Hi

My employer gave me the P60s, though there is no NI number mentioned, I posted them and they considerd.

Regards