ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Supporting documents for baby dependent applying separately

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rkrishna
Newly Registered
United States of America

Supporting documents for baby dependent applying separately

Post by rkrishna » Fri May 21, 2010 11:48 pm

My dependent son was born in the UK after my wife and I arrived. I am applying for my son's visa separately. (My wife and I already have visas that are valid through Sept. 2011.)

Which supporting documents (evidence) should I include with the PBS Dependent application form? The only documents explicitly requested (in the application form and policy guidance) are my child's passport and the proof of maintenance. However, in the application form on p. 42 (Section 6, Summary Sheet) there are tick boxes for other documents (e.g., marriage certificate, birth certificate). To my knowledge, the actual need for these is not stated.

If I were sending in my own application at the same time (which I'm not), I would of course include additional documents to support my own case (e.g., my own passport, marriage certificate, etc.). Do I also need to submit these same documents, when I send in my dependent son's application? If not these, then which documents should I send?

On p. 46 of the help notes for the PBS Dependent application form, there is a line "It is the dependent's responsibility to provide the evidence to support any statements made in his/her application." However, on p. 3 of the policy guidance, it states "We only need evidence that is directly relevant to the application, as set out in this guidance. We will not consider unrelated evidence." Unfortunately, the policy guidance dwells on maintenance. Does this mean that the only evidence they need is about maintenance?

Elsewhere in this bb, others have helpfully suggested various other documents to be included with a dependent's application, e.g., birth certificate, marriage certificate, vaccination records, rental contracts, family photos, etc.

Do you have any suggestions as to which supporting documents I should send? Here are some possibilities I can think of:

Proof of maintenance
Child's passport
Birth certificate
My passport (or a certified copy)
My wife's passport (or a certified copy)
Marriage certificate
Child's vaccination records
Rental contract for housing
Utility bills
Payslips

Which of the above items is needed? Am I missing anything?

Thanks very much for your help.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 22, 2010 6:48 pm

Provide the documents as asked for in the form and specified in the policy guidance. It's a simple form .... not a book on rocket science!

regards

rkrishna
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rkrishna » Tue May 25, 2010 9:16 pm

I called the immigration enquiry bureau (IEB) to ask for clarification on the matter of supporting documents. Unfortunately, it seems that the policy is to be intentionally vague about this matter.

ME: The proof of maintenance and the child's passport are the two obvious documents to submit. Do we need to submit any other documents as evidence?

THEM: Follow the instructions outlined in the application form and policy guidance, and submit the documents asked for there.

ME: The two documents I mentioned are the only two explicitly asked for. However, it seems to me that there ought to be others. On p. 46 of the application form, it states "It is the dependent's responsibility to provide the evidence to support any statements made in his/her application."

THEM: Well, that's just a general catch-all phrase, isn't it.

ME: Yes, it is. Which other documents should I submit? Do you need to see the child's birth certificate? The parents' passports?

THEM: If you feel you need to submit the child's birth certificate, then you may do so. Something that shows a link between the dependent and the main applicant.

ME: Do I need to submit the parents' passports, or at least a certified copy of them?

THEM: You should only submit a copy of a document if the original is not available, and state why it isn't.

There was no reply about whether or not the parents' passports should be included. In fact, the person who answered my call seemed to freely admit that her "help" was a bit vague. Nevertheless, at the end she asked "I hope this is this clear enough for you?"

From her noncommittal responses, I gathered that we should send at least the child's birth certificate, given that she voluntarily offered the phrase "something that shows a link between the dependent and the main applicant". That's just my gut feeling, though; I don't know for certain.

ispookie666
Newly Registered

its not rocekt science!!!!!!!!!1

Post by ispookie666 » Sun May 30, 2010 12:25 am

I would keep

1. passport copy
2. birth certificate.
3. maintenance letter
4. copies of visa of both parents
5. any document which provides proof that the parents are married and are his parents.

rkrishna
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rkrishna » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:27 pm

Our application was approved. In the end, we submitted (all original documents):

Child's passport
My passport (with my UK visa vignette, or "sticker", inside)
Child's UK birth certificate
Child's US "birth certificate" (report of consular birth abroad)
My marriage certificate
Council tax bill with my name and my wife's name on it
3 most recent bank statements (for proof of maintenance) with my name and my wife's name on them

We did NOT send my wife's passport. We would have done so, except that at the time, we thought she might need her passport as a proof of ID for our son's biometrics appointment. In the end, biometrics were not needed for him, because I have no ICFN myself.

zeeshan2008
Newly Registered

Post by zeeshan2008 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:43 am

Hi rkrishna,

Can we submit one or two group pictures of me ,wife and new born baby which took together ,to make application more strong?

would please advice me will submit group picture or NOT ?

thanks

rkrishna
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by rkrishna » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:59 pm

Hi zeeshan2008,

Here is the only scenario I have experience with: my wife and I both live in the UK, and then our child is born in the UK. We applied for our child's PBS dependent visa separately from our own applications. (Before our son's birth, we already had valid visas, which were not ready for renewal at the time of his birth.) If my scenario matches your own scenario, then perhaps my advice below will help.

My impression (from talking to the agents on the phone line, as well as from reading the policy guidance) is that only official, original, certified documents are strongly recommended. I would guess that if you send something that is not an official, original document, then it will either be ignored, or scrutinized closely to see whether it is a fake. A photograph seems to be too informal to me.

So, if your scenario is similar to mine, I don't think that sending in a family photo will help. However, I think there are other scenarios (such as applying for a visa from abroad, as opposed to applying from within the UK) in which family photos might help, so please check elsewhere for advice about other scenarios. Unfortunately, I don't have experience with those other scenarios, but I know that other forum members do.

Hope this helps.