ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

I am on HSMP. Can my spuse apply for one as well ??

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

geriatrix
United Kingdom

I am on HSMP. Can my spuse apply for one as well ??

Post by geriatrix » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:20 pm

Hi,

I am currently in UK on an HSMP visa (since last month). Since I am economically established here, it's easy for me to get my spouse to UK as my dependent.

However, my spouse is keen on applying for HSMP in his own right (95 points).

In this regard, I have some queries that I would like some advice on:-

1. Can my spouse apply for HSMP and (subject to EC) come to UK on HSMP visa in his own right ?? Or is there a rule that one HAS TO BE dependent of the other partner who already in UK on any employment related visa category ??

2. If my spouse comes to UK on a dependent visa, will there be a problem in applying for visitor visa for his parents (my in-laws). I mean - will he, AS DEPENDENT, be able to sponser his parents for long-term visits to UK ?? Or will I be able to sponser my in-law's visits ???

3. We intend to make UK our permanent home (still 5 years to go for
ILR, but that's what our ultimate plan is). With this in mind, is it better for my spouse to enter UK in his right rather than as my dependent ??? The reason I ask so is again related to the difficulty / ease he (or both of us) will have sponsoring his aged parents for dependent immigration.

It is perhaps worthwhile to mention that my in-laws are >65 years and my spouse is the only child.

Since my spouse easily qualifies for HSMP (in the present form), would like to get expert opinion from the senior members here about what would be the best way forward in an effort to achieve the long term goal of getting my in-laws to UK for good (once we have ILR). Should he apply for HSMP (if allowed) or is it okay if he comes to UK as my dependent ??

Thanks in advance !!

regards
Last edited by geriatrix on Tue May 27, 2008 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

MWazir
Diamond Member

Post by MWazir » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:52 pm

Can my spouse apply for HSMP and (subject to EC) come to UK on HSMP visa in his own right ?? Or is there a rule that one HAS TO BE dependent of the other partner who already in UK on any employment related visa category ??
He can apply, there is no such restriction.
2. If my spouse comes to UK on a dependent visa, will there be a problem in applying for visitor visa for his parents (my in-laws). I mean - will he, AS DEPENDENT, be able to sponser his parents for long-term visits to UK ?? Or will I be able to sponser my in-law's visits ???
You should not have a problem with obtaining visitor's visa for his parents as long as the neccessary documentation is provided. In terms of getting them here as dependents of your husband, that would prove to be a lot more difficult. You should try using the search facility as there have been a couple of similiar posts about getting dependent status for parents. In one particular case I remember the OP was sucessful. So perhaps you could learn something from that.
3. We intend to make UK our permanent home (still 5 years to go for ILR, but that's what our ultimate plan is). With this in mind, is it better for my spouse to enter UK in his right rather than as my dependent ??? The reason I ask so is again related to the difficulty / ease he (or both of us) will have sponsoring his aged parents for dependent immigration.
If he intends to apply for their dependent status after he has got his ILR then it makes no difference weather he had HSMP or dependent status. He already has an ILR. He will have to prove that they are totally dependent on him financially (perhaps regular deposits back home) and that there is no one back home to look after them. If he intends to apply for their dependent visa beforehand then perhaps it will look better if he does not himself have dependent status. You will have to plan carefully on how you go about applying for dependent status for his parents. Go to an immigration consultant if you have to.