ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

To honeymoon or not to honeymoon?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bluenoser
Newly Registered

To honeymoon or not to honeymoon?

Post by bluenoser » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:48 pm

I am currently in the UK on a Tier-1 PSW visa, which is valid until ealy 2012. While we were on holiday last month my boyfriend proposed to me and we are now in the process of planning a wedding. Ideally we would like to get married next year, as it would mean we could apply for my spouse visa before my Tier-1 PSW visa expires and it would save the hassle of me having to return home and apply from there - but that will depend on if we can find the venue/date that works for us.

If this turns out to be the case and we get married, say in the summer next year, and we wanted to go on a honeymoon, what do you think the best course of action would be?
- Book a honey moon in my maiden name and travel for two weeks while still on my Tier-1 PSW visa OR
- Apply to have my passport changed in advance of the wedding and book our honeymoon in my married name, but still travel on my Tier-1 PSW visa (and carry our marriage certificate with us to explain the name change) OR
- Wait until many months after the wedding when my passport has been changed AND I have my Spouse visa to travel for our honeymoon?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:52 pm

Reading this topic may prove useful.

regards

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: To honeymoon or not to honeymoon?

Post by ElenaW » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:08 pm

bluenoser wrote:I am currently in the UK on a Tier-1 PSW visa, which is valid until ealy 2012. While we were on holiday last month my boyfriend proposed to me and we are now in the process of planning a wedding. Ideally we would like to get married next year, as it would mean we could apply for my spouse visa before my Tier-1 PSW visa expires and it would save the hassle of me having to return home and apply from there - but that will depend on if we can find the venue/date that works for us.

If this turns out to be the case and we get married, say in the summer next year, and we wanted to go on a honeymoon, what do you think the best course of action would be?
- Book a honey moon in my maiden name and travel for two weeks while still on my Tier-1 PSW visa OR
- Apply to have my passport changed in advance of the wedding and book our honeymoon in my married name, but still travel on my Tier-1 PSW visa (and carry our marriage certificate with us to explain the name change) OR
- Wait until many months after the wedding when my passport has been changed AND I have my Spouse visa to travel for our honeymoon?
You can't change your name before your wedding as you need your marriage certificate to change it in the first place.

Have you thought about not changing your name until after you get you spousal?

blessed78
Newly Registered

Post by blessed78 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:59 pm

Have you thought about not changing your name at all? ;)

bluenoser
Newly Registered

Post by bluenoser » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:05 am

@ sushdmehta: I think that topic is not really related, as my question is more related to whether I should travel on my PSW visa or wait until I have my Spouse visa, not regarding my name change.

@ ElenaW: Some countries will allow you to change your name and get a new passport before your marriage, all you need to submit is a notice of your register to marry (usually supplied by the individual who is going to be marrying you).

It makes things less complicated if I change my name before I apply for Spousal Visa... my intention would be to get a new passport with my name changed (I will need to apply for a new passport anyway soon, as mine will expire less than a year after our wedding) and then use that new passport with my changed name when I apply for my Spouse Visa.

@ blessed78: I briefly considered it. :) But I like the idea of our family having a shared name and it makes things generally easier when you have children. I amnot worried about my family name dying out, I have lots of brothers to pass it on. :D

@ All: I think it may be sorted out anyways, as we may take a short honeymoon in the UK and then have our proper honeymoon for a one year anniversary. :)