ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship after july 2011 under HSMP JR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

GchatC
Newly Registered

Citizenship after july 2011 under HSMP JR

Post by GchatC » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:08 pm

I got my HSMP approved in Sep 2006 (and entered UK in the same month). I believe that I can still get ILR (or PR whatever you call it) under old rules in August 2011 because i am covered under HSMP JR.

Are there any guidelines on Citizenship for such cases? The reason i am asking this is because currently there are no income/tax related requirements for citizenship but if my understanding is correct then new rules (after july 2011) will require people to be earning and paying taxes in UK for citizenship. Will these new requirements affect the HSMP JR candidates as well or will i be able to apply for citizenship under old rules.

I want to take some time off work after my ILR so just want to know how the new rules affect my case.

beeba

Re: Citizenship after july 2011 under HSMP JR

Post by beeba » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:07 pm

GchatC wrote:I got my HSMP approved in Sep 2006 (and entered UK in the same month). I believe that I can still get ILR (or PR whatever you call it) under old rules in August 2011 because i am covered under HSMP JR.

Are there any guidelines on Citizenship for such cases? The reason i am asking this is because currently there are no income/tax related requirements for citizenship but if my understanding is correct then new rules (after july 2011) will require people to be earning and paying taxes in UK for citizenship. Will these new requirements affect the HSMP JR candidates as well or will i be able to apply for citizenship under old rules.

I want to take some time off work after my ILR so just want to know how the new rules affect my case.
Cant you apply for ILR Sep 2010?

GchatC
Newly Registered

Post by GchatC » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:46 pm

I think i have to be here for 5 years before i get ILR.

beeba

Post by beeba » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:04 pm

GchatC wrote:

The new rules are not yet clear but I think the new rules may be in place before you apply for ILR in August 2011, so you can check at that time. But currently the impression is that people who would have applied for ILR before the implementation of new rules probably July2011 will be able to apply for Citizenship under the old rules until July 2013. But the rule is not yet clear for people who will apply after the implementation of the new rules say July 2011.
What I think, they will have to apply according to the new rules in place at that time.

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:41 pm

GchatC wrote:

Are you sure? That was the whole point about the HSMP JR, that you can apply for ILR after four years, not five. So you should be able to apply for ILR in September 2010.

As the other poster said, if you have ILR by July 2011, you will have 2 years (July 2013) to apply for citizenship under current rules. If you get your ILR after the new law is implemented in July 2011, your citizenship application will be based on the new rule.

Ray

beeba

Post by beeba » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:28 pm

raymasa2 wrote:
GchatC wrote:

Are you sure? That was the whole point about the HSMP JR, that you can apply for ILR after four years, not five. So you should be able to apply for ILR in September 2010.

As the other poster said, if you have ILR by July 2011, you will have 2 years (July 2013) to apply for citizenship under current rules. If you get your ILR after the new law is implemented in July 2011, your citizenship application will be based on the new rule.

Ray
Ray see below GchatC actually applied after April2006.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... 9/#header2

If you applied to the HSMP between 3 April 2006 and 7 November 2006, received an approval letter and came to or stayed in the United Kingdom on the basis of that letter
You are still required to complete a period of five years' continuous residence in relevant immigration routes before you can apply to settle in the United Kingdom. This is because you did not enter the HSMP until after the Immigration Rules had changed on 3 April 2006. However, you do not need to meet the 'Knowledge of language and life in the UK' requirement as part of your settlement application.

raymasa2
Member of Standing

Post by raymasa2 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:33 pm

beeba wrote:Ray see below GchatC actually applied after April2006.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... 9/#header2

If you applied to the HSMP between 3 April 2006 and 7 November 2006, received an approval letter and came to or stayed in the United Kingdom on the basis of that letter
You are still required to complete a period of five years' continuous residence in relevant immigration routes before you can apply to settle in the United Kingdom. This is because you did not enter the HSMP until after the Immigration Rules had changed on 3 April 2006. However, you do not need to meet the 'Knowledge of language and life in the UK' requirement as part of your settlement application.
Yes, you are right. I forgot there were couple of different groups to JR and different timeframes were applied to them.

Thanks for correcting that.

Ray