ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Letters of support from friends, do they help?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

IzzyA
Newly Registered

Letters of support from friends, do they help?

Post by IzzyA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:50 pm

Do letters of support from friends or family hold any weight in settlement applications for fiance visas or are they ignored by ECOs?

I'm thinking of asking my best friend to do one for us as she's known me for over 20 years and has met my fiance.

The reason this has suddenly become urgent is because although I'm on the phone to my fiance in Canada AT LEAST 6-8 hours per week it's suddenly dawned on us that we have nothing to prove it. I use a pay-as-you-go mobile phone and get cheap evening/weekend calls to landlines, and use a company called Planet Numbers to get dirt cheap calls to Canada via a landline access number in the UK. When we realised we'd have to provide proof of our telephone conversations it didn't really click that this may be a problem, until I called Planet Numbers this afternoon and they said there is no way that they can give me an itemised list showing numbers that I'd called, I should get that from my phone provider. That, of course, is impossible with a pay-as-you-go phone. Although we had lots of emails up until about 4 months ago, we stopped sending them because we were constantly on the phone to each other instead, and I HATE communicating by email. Now I realise we've made a dreadful mistake by not keeping this form of communication open even if we'd only sent an email to each other every couple of weeks. I'm wondering whether we should suddenly overcompensate by sending a flurry of emails back and fore over the next week or so to prove we are a 'current' couple.

So, two things:-

Should we try and get as many friends/family to provide us with support letters, and

Will it look a bit odd if we suddenly start sending each other emails after a 4 month 'quiet' period, just so that we've got something we can print off to add weight to our application.

Just as we get over one hurdle, another appears. Please, any advise would be welcome, especially if you think support letters helped sway the opinion in your application.

Many thanks

raam123
Newly Registered

Post by raam123 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:25 pm

AM honestly in same position.

Am using a pay as you go phone (vodafone), and i send almost one or two msgs to my wife back home.anyway i called vodafone and they told me its possible to get a letter with a list of the sms numbers i send back for a maximum of 5 years. honestly i will write to them to get that.

just thought that could be helpful for you bro.

IzzyA
Newly Registered

Post by IzzyA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:26 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention why we're in a panic about this situation. It's because I read the following on another website:-
Intervening Devotion; If the applicant and sponsor have been separated for a lengthy period of time before the application is submitted (for example, longer than 3 or 4 months), then evidence of intervening devotion should be included. This would normally take the form of telephone records or other forms of electronic communication. If the couple have lived separately for a longer period, travel receipts can be used to show that contact has been continual and proportionate.
I also forgot to mention that I have flight booking confirmations of two flights I've taken to Canada to visit my fiance in the past 8 months, (the last trip was in March) plus one I'm about to take in a couple of weeks, so that should be a help too. Are we panicking for nothing??!

Cheers
Izzy

IzzyA
Newly Registered

Post by IzzyA » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Thanks raam123

Didn't think about that. I'm also with Vodaphone and send and receive endless text messages back and fore to/from Canada so I could try that too. Hope I haven't left it too late to do this though.

raam123
Newly Registered

Post by raam123 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:10 am

IzzyA wrote:Thanks raam123

Didn't think about that. I'm also with Vodaphone and send and receive endless text messages back and fore to/from Canada so I could try that too. Hope I haven't left it too late to do this though.
Hopefully its not late. i called them and they said i need to write a letter requesting that and put a cheque with £10(payable to Vodafone Limited) and they can get u up to 5 years ago and send it to
VODAFONE HOUSE
THE CONNECTION
NEWSBURY
PERKSHIRE
RG14 2FN
pls call them on 191 and double check the address just in case.
. make sure that the sim is registered in ur name, as unfortunately its not my case as its registered in my brother name.as i always forget change it even i have had it for ten years. :(

IzzyA
Newly Registered

Post by IzzyA » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:48 pm

Thanks raam123

I spoke with Vodafone last night and they confirmed that they can provide an itemized list of numbers I've texted to. Luckily because my phone is properly registered in my name I was informed that I need to enclose a £10 postal order, 2 letters sent to me at my registered address and a covering letter stating why I needed the information. I was also required to set up a password (usually used for interenet access to your online account) and had to quote that in my letter too.

Now, the BIG problem I've got is that I need to receive this information in the mail by next Tuesday as I fly to Canada with all my paperwork on Wednesday. I've just returned from the Post Office where I've sent my request by next day Special Delivery, and marked the envelope URGENT - PLEASE ACTION IMMEDIATELY but unfortunately they won't get it until tomorrow (Friday) which leaves just 2 working days for them to action my request. The Line Manager I spoke to last night promised he'd email Vodafone head office to let them know my request was on the way and asked them to put it to the top of the pile as it's urgent. I did apologise for the last minute request and explained that I had only just been informed that this option was available to me. It's out of my hands now, I've run out of time and there's nothing else I can do but put my faith in Vodafone to get this done asap.

This whole situation just hightlights to me how important it is to start the preparation very early and start making enquiries via this board as soon as possible. If I'd done that and asked these questions weeks ago I would have given myself plenty of time to get everything I need, instead of this dreaded feeling of maybe having to fly to Canada without important paperwork that would help our application. If we get through this stage and get the fiance visa, then for sure I'll make sure we start preparations months in advance for all further stages of the settlement process.

Will keep you informed of my progress!!

Cheers

Izzy

raam123
Newly Registered

Post by raam123 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:20 pm

IzzyA wrote:Thanks raam123

Now, the BIG problem I've got is that I need to receive this information in the mail by next Tuesday as I fly to Canada with all my paperwork on Wednesday.
Izzy
Izzy bro, u might have some luck and its very good idea u send postal orders not cheque as that could take few days to clear.

i guess the best thing to do even if u travel get someone of ur family or friends to get the letter and send it in DHL to u in canada. For time you go to canada and get a couple of days with ur fiance' and apply for visa you would have it by that time.
I do strongly think that its worth waiting for these letter before applying for visa. Just thought of that as option for you.
Last edited by raam123 on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IzzyA
Newly Registered

Post by IzzyA » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:20 pm

raam123

Yes, that's why I made sure I sent a Postal Order and NOT a cheque, because I didn't want there to be any reason for a delay. Worse case scenario then I have considered asking a friend to go to my flat to check for mail after my departure and sending me any mail from Vodafone to my fiance's address in Canada. Will wait and see what happens. Thanks for your thoughts and advice. Much appreciated.

Izzy

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:35 pm

Izzy bro
:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

raam123
Newly Registered

Post by raam123 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:29 pm

batleykhan wrote:
Izzy bro
:D :lol: :lol: :lol:
sorry but dnt know wt that mean.

i all cases as long as you find it funny. atleast that mean i draw a smile on someone face (that counted to my hasanat).

BTW batleykhan i posted a query and i would be very greatfull if u help me with ur highly appreciated advice.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:38 pm

Izzy bro,
Izzy is a lady that I know well :lol:

raam123
Newly Registered

Post by raam123 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:07 pm

batleykhan wrote:
Izzy bro,
Izzy is a lady that I know well :lol:
sorry. :oops: :oops: :oops:
wallah my immigration prbs and visa things is stressing me alot.and dnt notice that.
anyway u smiled again (another hasna for me)

btw all the best for u donation job u doing.