ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK ILR

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Shimil
Newly Registered

UK ILR

Post by Shimil » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:58 pm

Hi guys
I am a Pakistani residing in France and currently working as Research Scientist in a French University.

I finished my PhD in France and was living with my Polish girl friend here. But last year my girl friend got a very good job in multinational caomany in London and moved to UK and after one year of job there she has residence there. I have five year UK visit visa and we are frequently visiting each othere, mostly she visit me due to big travel allownces to her.

Now she wants me to come to UK (She cannot come to France as Polish people cannot work in France till 2007 but in UK they can). I have also few offers of post docs or reseach assocaite in UK.

Now my problem is that what is the best way to got UK

1- Should I apply for UK HSMP as I am eligible (But I think applying for UK HSMP is very time and resource consuming)
2-Should I apply for post doc visa but I dont know if I will get ILR after 4 years of post doc in UK.
3-Should I marry her and after 4 years get ILR.

It seems, in all cases it takes 4 years to get ILR but I dont know which is the fast, secure and best way to go to UK and get ILR.

Please help Thanks in advance.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:05 pm

Should I marry her and after 4 years get ILR.
No one should ever get married just to ease getting a visa but if the two of you do plan to get married then that is by far the easiest route for you to go down. Following the marriage you would apply for an EEA Family Permit, at the British Embassy in Paris, and that would lead to ILR after four years.

Except do appreciate that for all routes where ILR is currently available after 4 years .... that is quite likely to become 5 years at some point in time.

If a marriage would be just to ease getting a visa, then don't get married but instead go down the HSMP route if, as you say, you are qualified for that.
John

Shimil
Newly Registered

Post by Shimil » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:17 pm

John wrote:
Should I marry her and after 4 years get ILR.
No one should ever get married just to ease getting a visa but if the two of you do plan to get married then that is by far the easiest route for you to go down. that.
Thanks John for your quick reply
We wanted to marry at some time point later but now it seems faster it is better it will be.
I am just wondering if I decide to stay in France as I want due to stable career here and she can come here by next year 2007 (by that time Polish people will be eligibel to work in France).
If you can help me as I have French higher education degree and I working as Scentist for last 1.5 year in French university, May I get Frech naturalization after 1 or more year. I mean is it not better for me as that way I can go quicker, I apologize as I am not an expert in French immigration rules as well.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:42 pm

I apologize as I am not an expert in French immigration rules as well.
That makes two of us! So all I can say is that if it is indeed the case that you can get French Citizenship when you say, and you are happy in your work, then indeed it might be a good idea for you to stay where you are.

After all, with the five year UK visitors visa you mention, and your girlfriend being an EEA citizen, both of you can cross the channel to visit one another as often as you like.

As soon as you have a French passport you can of course work in any EEA country, including the UK, without needing a Work Permit.
John

Shimil
Newly Registered

Post by Shimil » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:53 pm

Thanks again for your kind help
I just surfed the net and find that if someone has french higher education degree and two year job after he can apply for naturalization but what i see around is that french give you 10 year residence after and then you can apply for naturalization. That is why I said I am not an expert and my be you know more than me about french naturalization rules.
Yesterday Sarkozy made a statement about French immigration laws which he want to present to cabinet meeting this week, I guess and hope that they are good for Scientists.
John wrote:
I apologize as I am not an expert in French immigration rules as well.
That makes two of us! So all I can say is that if it is indeed the case that you can get French Citizenship when you say, and you are happy in your work, then indeed it might be a good idea for you to stay where you are.

After all, with the five year UK visitors visa you mention, and your girlfriend being an EEA citizen, both of you can cross the channel to visit one another as often as you like.

As soon as you have a French passport you can of course work in any EEA country, including the UK, without needing a Work Permit.

bash_h

Post by bash_h » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:38 am

Also (and I could be wrong here so please correct me if I am) the 'new' EU countries have certain restrictions, like you say. However these can kept be in place until 2011.
You mention that Poles will be allowed to work in 2007, I havent heard this and I suspect you mean that France will 'review' this situation in 2007, like many other countries, not actually *lift* the resctrictions.

Bear in mind that until 2011, any 'old' EU country, like France can keep resctrictions in place.

Only after 2011 they are forced to lift all resctrictions, according to EU law.

Shimil
Newly Registered

Post by Shimil » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:21 pm

Thanks very much John for your help. I followed your advice and applied for HSMP and got approaval as well as EC.
Here is the detail

Application sent 12 February
Received 13 February
CC charged 13 February
decision made 5 March
Lette of approval received 7 March

Apppointment at British embassy Paris 16 March
EC got from BE Paris 16 March

I am planing to move to UK next month to get the date of Entry into UK as soon as possible which will count towards my 4/5 year residency.

Shimil
Newly Registered

Post by Shimil » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:55 pm

HI Guys
I just got the EC. When I enquired the ECO in paris he told me that the two year EC visa will be issued adter 1st April 2006, for the moment they are following the same old rules.
I am planing to move to UK 1st April, I will arrive at Stansted airport. I have one question if I have to undergo some medical exam upon arrival and how long it will take (1-2 hours?), althoough I am already frequently visiting to my GF in London through Stansted airport.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:19 pm

Shimil, congratulations on getting the HSMP and also on getting the EC, but then, why not? You seem very well qualified and just the sort of person the UK needs in this highly technical and advanced age.

Medical exam? It is possible, now that you have a long-term visa rather than a visitor one. However given that you already had a long-term visitor visa, you may well get away with it.

In fact I am not sure what medical facilities there are at Stansted. Can someone comment about that? But even if there are no on-site medical facilities they always have power to call in a local doctor if they feel the need.
John

Shimil
Newly Registered

Post by Shimil » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:07 pm

Thanks John
It was your kind advice that I followed.

Naiad

Post by Naiad » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:27 pm

Congratulations Shimil!!

And I'd like to add my voice to yours in a big thank you to John for all the helpful and spot-on advice he gives to all of us on here! John rocks!! :D