ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Am I a Contractor?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amuk

Am I a Contractor?

Post by amuk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Hi all,

I'm a bit puzzled by which category best suits me. I'm not in the UK, and in my country, the definition is also a bit fuzzy.

I work with clients overseas. I do work either on project or on hourly basis. I do the work, bill them, and get paid to my bank account. I do not work through a legal entity.

On the UKBA website, in the example documents, it says:
Contractors

If you are a contractor who does not operate either through your own company or as an employee, you may send:

* an accountant's letter confirming a breakdown of your gross and net earnings for the period claimed; and
* personal bank statements clearly highlighting all credit payments made to your account from employment undertaken during the earnings period claimed.
So, do I qualify as a Contractor?

Much appreciated!

alimohmand

Post by alimohmand » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:29 pm

Well to claim to points either you have to be employed or have your own company or trade as sole trader.

I guess you can register in your native country as a Sole trader which will basically fall you in the same category as a contractor.

Though personally I would recommend to setting up a company and then show yourself as an employee and get payments via salary. Its a suggestion as this would make your application for Tier 1 G pretty straight forward.

Good Luck