ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Separation / Divorce - issuance of UK Passport

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sophia_sharmine
Newly Registered

ILR - Separation / Divorce - issuance of UK Passport

Post by sophia_sharmine » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:49 am

Hello Everyone,

I need some advice regarding issuance of UK passport. I obtained my Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK last March (2010). I will be eligible for applying for the passport next March (2011).

My husband has been living in the UK and I moved to the UK with him on dependent visa about 4 years ago. We applied last year for ILR and both obtained the same. I have a permanent job in one well recognized international organization. My ILR permit does not mention anything about dependent.

However, in the last few months, me and my husband are discussing separation as we are having difficulty adjusting mentally. My question is:

If we do separate before next March (change of marital status) will that have any implication on my application to obtain the UK Passport?

Will sincerely appreciate any guidance and/or advice on this.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Sophia

khankhattak

Re: ILR - Separation / Divorce - issuance of UK Passport

Post by khankhattak » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:52 am

sophia_sharmine wrote:Hello Everyone,

I need some advice regarding issuance of UK passport. I obtained my Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK last March (2010). I will be eligible for applying for the passport next March (2011).

My husband has been living in the UK and I moved to the UK with him on dependent visa about 4 years ago. We applied last year for ILR and both obtained the same. I have a permanent job in one well recognized international organization. My ILR permit does not mention anything about dependent.

However, in the last few months, me and my husband are discussing separation as we are having difficulty adjusting mentally. My question is:

If we do separate before next March (change of marital status) will that have any implication on my application to obtain the UK Passport?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Sophia
i dont think it will affect ur citizenship but wait for modirators advice
plz let me know if im saying anything incorrect

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:11 pm

If you are separated but not actually divorced you will still be applying for BC as his wife.

nksg

Post by nksg » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:38 pm

As per my understanding, once you get ILR, you can apply naturalisation on your own after 1 year of ILR... subject to standard T&C.. it does not depend on your partner....
sophia_sharmine wrote:Hello Everyone,

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Sophia

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:11 pm

nksg wrote:As per my understanding, once you get ILR, you can apply naturalisation on your own after 1 year of ILR... subject to standard T&C.. it does not depend on your partner....

]
also total number of years in UK should be at least 5 years. and yes it is correct, once you have ILR you do not need your partner to apply. You can both apply together for the purposes of taking advantage of the fees, but applications wil be considered on their own merits. or you can apply at different times