ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage visa for under 21?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ilkin
Newly Registered

Marriage visa for under 21?

Post by ilkin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:18 am

I need some advice on what is the best way forward for me and my partner. I am British citizen whereas she isnt. We are looking to get married. I am 24 and she is 19 however, the UK law states that she must be at least the age of 21 in order to apply for spouse/marriage visa.

What is the way around this? I mean, I can understand this is to prevent forced marriages, however, this discriminates those who are marrying out of choice.

If we were to appeal this decision and apply through the courts, what is the likely chance of us obtaining a marriage visa?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: Marriage visa for under 21?

Post by ElenaW » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:26 am

ilkin wrote:I need some advice on what is the best way forward for me and my partner. I am British citizen whereas she isnt. We are looking to get married. I am 24 and she is 19 however, the UK law states that she must be at least the age of 21 in order to apply for spouse/marriage visa.

What is the way around this? I mean, I can understand this is to prevent forced marriages, however, this discriminates those who are marrying out of choice.

If we were to appeal this decision and apply through the courts, what is the likely chance of us obtaining a marriage visa?

Sorry, no way around it.

Several options that you probably won't like.

1) wait it out
2) move to your gf's country perm or temp.
3) Excercise your eu treaty rights then apply under eu law in which you don't have to be 21.

By the way, there was a couple that appealed against it. The judge basically ruled that they can live elsewhere and their human rights were not being breached.

Edit to add: your gf can apply for a student visa if she's got the funds (she can use loans) and if she wants to be a uni student.

wa51mmm
Newly Registered

marriage visa?

Post by wa51mmm » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:37 am

well there is a way around it
Last edited by wa51mmm on Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:02 am

But that would only give them six months, they'd have to marry and she'd have to go home until she's 21 and thereby waste the 600 quid or so fiancée visa fee.

Islamic marriage won't help.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

vinny

Re: marriage visa? does not exist

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:51 am

wa51mmm wrote:you can apply for her settlement visa through being a fiance instead of spouse or wife realation ship.

the fiance visa is help ful you dont need to get married she can be your fiance and you be her boy friend etc.

then the age limit of 21 will not apply.

the law says that you cannot get married until you are at the age of 21, however the law does not say that you cannot become fiance before the age of 21....
Unfortunately, 21 age limit is also applicable to Fiance(e)s and proposed civil partners.

See also Marriage visa age raised to prevent forced marriages.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: Marriage visa for under 21?

Post by mochyn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:53 pm

ElenaW wrote:
ilkin wrote:I need some advice on what is the best way forward for me and my partner. I am British citizen whereas she isnt. We are looking to get married. I am 24 and she is 19 however, the UK law states that she must be at least the age of 21 in order to apply for spouse/marriage visa.

Sorry, no way around it.

Several options that you probably won't like.

1) wait it out
2) move to your gf's country perm or temp.
3) Excercise your eu treaty rights then apply under eu law in which you don't have to be 21.

By the way, there was a couple that appealed against it. The judge basically ruled that they can live elsewhere and their human rights were not being breached.

Edit to add: your gf can apply for a student visa if she's got the funds (she can use loans) and if she wants to be a uni student.
Agreed although you can marry under the age of 21 and get spousal visa if you are a member of the armed forces(age limit is 18 in this case)

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:57 pm

So join the Army and you can be together but you might get posted to Afhanistan!

ilkin
Newly Registered

Post by ilkin » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Ok this thing about the eu rights? what is it about and what does it involve? will it mean that she will be able to join me in the UK even though she is under 21?

many thanks[/quote]

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:07 pm

ilkin wrote:Ok this thing about the eu rights? what is it about and what does it involve? will it mean that she will be able to join me in the UK even though she is under 21?

many thanks
[/quote]

Search the forum, 'surinder singh' - I thing we've explained it a dozen times already!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:07 pm

ilkin wrote:Ok this thing about the eu rights? what is it about and what does it involve? will it mean that she will be able to join me in the UK even though she is under 21?

many thanks
[/quote]

Like wanderer said, do some research.
Yes it will mean that she can join you in the uk before she turns 21.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Basically you live and work in another EU country eg France for 6 months then apply to come to UK together

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:37 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.